Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey buddy. Hope all is going well. My best advice is rough it up very well. I've tried drilling small anchor holes as well, but don't know if that really helps. Use Devcon 10110, it is damn strong and adheres to the Tupperware very well. When you are done, it should look something like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The best advice I can give is make sure you use plenty of release agent!!! laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks will relay that to him

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm the guy that John is referring to, I bedded my Model 70 300 WBY yesterday, and have the 300 RUM drying right now. I managed to not glue the rifle to the stock, so that's good.

The Devcon stuff is hard to find so I used JB weld. I'll have to order some Devcon and use it for the rest of the rifles I need to bed.

Thanks for this thread BSA, the instructions were really easy to follow, and it's a lot easier than I thought. Can't believe I was thinking about paying over $100 to have a gunsmith to do it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds very good duckslayer. Hope you have a more consistently accurate rifle now. I know the one John bought from me is one of my best shooters and it's in a factory Tupperware stock. I've glass bedded them with JB weld as well and it holds up pretty well, just not as strong as Devcon steel 10110. I generally buy the Devcon through Midway or sometimes you can find it for a good deal on ebay. Glad I could help some of you guys with this bedding stuff.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back up front for reference.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thinking about bedding a rifle Razz??? Good luck and remember to use enough release agent... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Lawrence,
I found this to be extremely helpful and I'm going to save it for future reference. Thanks for sharing your work!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem buddy. Hope it helps..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This should be a sticky!!!
Thanks BSA

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree on the sticky!

BSA, yeah, setting up a varmint rig. Not a Winnie ☹️so won't hash it out here. Will put somethin on the Predator page once I have it together. All the pieces parts are on my worktable now.

Razz
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Razz you trying to stay busy waiting for the New Mexico draw results?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The waiting is driving me nuts. I Applied up in Wyoming for archery with my boys and knew by the end of Feb, no luck but accumulating points. Sheep, antelope, deer and elk here at home. If, and i mean a huge IF, I draw elk and sheep I may need to ask for a leave of absence from work.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I used the paste wax on the stock tip instead of tape when I did my fwt. I did put a couple pieces over the checkering before I used the wax. It only took a sec and it didn't have the brush any stray wax out when done.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good tip Ben. That works great too, and it's quick and simple.. Saves time incase you get paste wax in the checkering. This is more critical on the wood stocks, since it's easier to get the wax out of the synthetic stock checkering. I usually spray some rem-oil on it and it loosens up pretty easily with the toothbrush and a little compressed air..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Right on

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You did a fine job on that rifle. Very impressive.

I've bedded in the neighborhood of 500 rifles, including many Model 70's. I usually bed with Marine Tex, using Acra Release spray from Brownells. It has worked outstanding for me and is much easier to apply than other products. Cleanup is a breeze too.

Another trick I learned early on for popping the action loose is to just grip the rifle by the forend and grip, just like you were carrying it in the field. Gripping the forend firmly, rap the muzzle downward on a towel covered workbench and it'll pop right loose.

Again, job well done.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A thousand curses on photobucket. I saved this years ago to reference when I was ready to brave bedding one of my own rifles. Now that I'm ready all the photos are gone...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
A thousand curses on photobucket. I saved this years ago to reference when I was ready to brave bedding one of my own rifles. Now that I'm ready all the photos are gone...

Yep. Just because it is on the 'net doesn't mean it will always be on the 'net. I'm getting more "paperless" than I used to be. But if I want to save it, I get it in MSWord or in some other form on my computer, along with the pictures. If I really care about it, I might print it out as well. But then I'm old enough to remember how much more difficult information was to obtain before the 'net. Sure do appreciate Al Gore inventing it! crazy hell, I started college with a slide rule.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by InternetGuru

I have the thread saved on my hard drive in html form. I could probably convert it to pdf and email it to you if you'd like. Send me a PM.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
TTT for my ease of reference.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.