Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Mabe I missed some articles or other info, but would like to hear from writers (Mr. Barsness et al) concerning this cartridge in a Bolt action Rifle. I.e., loads for supersonic and loads for subsonic to include bullets, powders and general rifle looney info. Thanks in advance for the information.

Also interested in hearing from other Fire members who have actiually worked with this cartridge in a bolt rifle.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unfortunately, I've never loaded the .300 BO in any sort of rifle, though that will change soon, as I recently purchased a Ruger American from a friend here in Montana that I'll be picking up sometime soon. But because of that, I'd also like to hear what loads others have found effective.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Not a writer, but I've used the 300 a fair amount, and experiment with a lot of loads for it.

First thing to note, for subsonics, is that you can make much quieter loads for a bolt gun than any of the factory ammo, which is designed to run a semi-auto. The AR15 subsonic loads generally use a slower magnum pistol powder like AA1680 to generate enough gas to cycle the action, but this also makes them a lot louder. For a bolt gun, any of the fast pistol/shotgun powders work well; I normally use Bullseye.

One example I loaded last night is the Lee 200gr RN over 4.5gr Bullseye. This one runs 920-950 fps depending on your barrel, and is very quiet.

For supersonic loads, you want something in the range between AA9 and AA1680. H110/296 and Lil'Gun generally give the best velocity. Lil'Gun gives great velocity with less flash and blast, but I still use H110 a lot as well.

The 300 is also a great cast bullet cartridge for both subsonic and full power loads; are you interested in cast for this one?

Last edited by Yondering; 07/23/15.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
For best performance in supersonic loads, look at bullets in the 110-125gr range. Some good choices are the Speer 125gr TNT, Nosler 125gr BT, and Hornady 110gr V-Max. The 125 BT gives the best terminal performance of those three, but the TNT shoots really well too, and is cheaper.

The Barnes "black tip" 110gr bullet is one of the best performing 300 Blk bullets available, but sometimes they are hard to find, and more expensive as well. It was designed for the 300 though, and is supposed to expand down to 1600 fps.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My father punched the ticket of a few WT deer with a 30 Herrett. He used 120-130 grain class bullets. It seems like the 300 AAC could do the same at similar ranges.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only used it in 2 AR's, but a bolt gun is a logical step. Especially if you prefer to hunt with a cold chamber, as it is hard to quietly charge an AR and get the bolt completely into battery.

1680 for subsonics, which will work an AR action just fine, and Lil-Gun for supersonic is my preference. For supersonic hunting loads either the 125gr Ballistic tip is good, as is Barnes' 110gr Tac-tx. The round usually benefits from longers OAL's than what are published in most load data.

For subsonic loads, the Lehigh Defense 194gr has been reported to do well on game:

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...-maximum-expansion-194gr-subsonic-bullet

Based on a sample of one, I'd avoid the 220 Matchking for subsonic loads on game. They are supposed to tumble when they hit, but I was not impressed when I tried it. I have some 240's and may try them.

I like the round; my house gun is a .300 AR, and I may get one of the Ruger Americans in it with threaded muzzle, to use with a can.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

sorry...not a bolt gun..but here's mine..just got it from the builder

test fired 125NBT...130SST..140 Noz Comp....168 SMK...165 NBT

Likes 'em all...powders...IMR4227..Lil Gun..AA1680...H110

8 twist Shilem SS tube...Aero Precision lower..so far..I like....

LC brass reformed from GCG Brass in TX

Glass is new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 30mm tube..Stoner mount

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm loading 125 BT and 110 HP and vmax.
Either ones in the neck will spell Dirt nap.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
For supersonic hunting loads either the 125gr Ballistic tip is good, as is Barnes' 110gr Tac-tx. The round usually benefits from longers OAL's than what are published in most load data.

That's another good point about bolt-gun specific loads - most published 300 data is for use in the AR15 platform, and seating depths are often based on matching the .250" diameter ogive point to the magazine ribs for feeding reliability. In a bolt gun, you don't have the concern, and can load quite a bit longer, if it's throated for it.

I agree 100% that the subsonic jacketed bullets for the most part are a poor choice on game. Some specialty bullets like Lehigh are good, and cast hollow points can be made to work well, but most traditional jacketed rifle bullets won't expand at all, or tumble reliably, at subsonic speeds.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mathman
My father punched the ticket of a few WT deer with a 30 Herrett. He used 120-130 grain class bullets. It seems like the 300 AAC could do the same at similar ranges.

Yep, essentially the same ballistics, or very close, depending on barrel length.

I'm actually working with a wildcat 30 Herrett AR round now, which is the 30 Herret made from 6.8 SPC brass, to function in an AR15. It can be run at full 6.8 SPC pressure, instead of the reduced pressure of the old Herrett in the T/C Contender, so it basically duplicates or slightly beats the 30/30.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I found the 300 BO 110 barnes vor-tx to be accurate and shoots thru sub 100 yd deer shoulders leaving a quarter size hole when it leaves.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like Lil' Gun and the 125 grain Nosler BT in my Ruger American Ranch.

I was very surprised to see that bullet completely penetrate a pig's skull back in March at the campfire pig hunt.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I was very surprised to see that bullet completely penetrate a pig's skull back in March at the campfire pig hunt.

I am thinking that and also the Hornady 130 gr SP in my Ruger American Ranch. (Should be in Tomorrow).

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300 bo that I have been playing with for a couple of months. It has a really long throat, I can't get anywhere near the lands with 125 gr bullets. So far the best loads have been with a max of h110 and the 125 gr BT, running just over an inch which is fine for the intended purpose of shooting deer at 100 yards or less. Just picked up a factory box of the Barnes vortex and a box of 110 gr barnes tac-tx bullets to load. My biggest concern is now finding powder, as I am running low on the pound of h110 I have had for years and nobody locally has 110/296/lilgun.

Bought a box of sierra 125 gr bullets as well, anyone used them on game out of a blackout? I have seen mixed reviews online about expansion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use nothing but Lil'Gun in my BLK. I use two bullet and always load super sonic , the Speer 125 gr TNT and the new Barnes Tipped TAC-TX Bullets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bea, have you used that Speer 125 TNT on any critters? I'm wondering how it might perform on deer when loaded at or near max from the 300BO.

I just fired my Ruger American Ranch over the weekend. I was hoping to do some handloading for it, but the large sporting goods store I went to was out of dies and other items I need to do the deed, so I bought a box of Fiocchi's 150 gr. FMJ ammo and a neighbor gave me a few of his handloads with H110 and a Hornady 125 SST.

The Fiocci stuff clocked only 1,840 fps,(I remember reading that it was a bit slow) and turned in 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The neighbor's handloads, which he said were mid-range, clocked 2,060 fps, which is pretty close to upper end velocity. I was only able to fire one, 5 shot group that landed in a slightly smaller cluster than the 3 rounds of Fiocci.

I'm looking forward to reading experiences from people who are handloading for this cartridge.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I would think you should be able to get another 100 fps or so from the sst's at max load of Lilgun or h110. The SST is another bullet that I am interested in, as it should be very good on deer at these velocities. If I get a 1.5" =/- 5 shot group at 100 with it I would be satisfied and ready to shoot any deer in our neck of the woods.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I am thinking that and also the Hornady 130 gr SP in my Ruger American Ranch. (Should be in Tomorrow).

I believe the 130 Grain Hornady Spire Point would be an excellent bullet out of that case. I don't think that it would be hurt at all by not being an Interlock.

I've toyed with the idea of the Speer 130 grain HP bullet as well. Several reviews on Midway's website from people having used it on whitetails out of 308's.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
bolt gun, 300/221 or whatever it is today, suppressed.

best bullet by far for killing stuff, 194 lehigh. Good on deer to 175 yards so far.

No use for the round supersonic, have others that cover that very well.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My RARR 300 came in Thursday and I picked it up yesterday. Loaded up 25 rounds to test on Monday.

Brass- Hornady
Primer-CCI 400
Bullet - Hornady .308 130 gr SP seated to LOA of 2.015"

10 @ 18.5 gr LilGun
6 @ 19.0 gr LilGun
9 @ 19.5 gr LilGun

Did nothing to the brass, just seated the bullet. I was able to put five into the mag. Chambered all and ejected all twice. LOA selected by adding case length plus bullet length minus .308. No way to even get close to lands with this bullet. I talked to Hornady engineer and he said this bullet would expand reliably down to 1800fps and still expand some and penetrate down to 1500fps. This would make the 300BLK a decent deer rifle to 150 yds.

Bought rifle from Whittakers. Great price and great service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.