Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay here is a can of worms I will open, favorite brands always bring out the opinion in folks!

What is the best deep cycle battery you have used?

For me I have a Craftsman AGM Marine Battery the Blue one. It's been absolutely astonishing to use, charge and use again. For 5 years now it's still good as new.

I have a Trojan in the camper. Likely one of the best most expensive batteries made. It's been good for 2 years but recently will only hold the charge for about 30 minutes after taking it off the charger. Then it drops quickly. It's about 2 years old. All my batteries run on a maintainer full time.

I also have a craftsman AGM Marine Battery on the boat that Is the " House" battery. It stays charged by the on board maintainer as well.

I'm temped to just buy another Craftsman AGM Marine Battery for the camper because it has been so good to recharge and lasted 5 years for the trolling motor. However before I spend the hundreds of bucks on another deep cycle battery I though I would get other opinions.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Last couple I've bought have been Duracell from SAMs club.

Made in USA by eastern penn.

Even bought a Duracell agm for my Polaris ranger.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had very good success with Interstate Deep Cycle batteries. The one in my camper is almost 8 years old and still holds a charge. Used to use them hard on my boat and they would last an average of about 4 years before losing storage capacity. Ran a 24V trolling motor with them and most weekends would almost completely discharge them.

Last edited by badger; 07/27/15.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want one that will carry a lot of juice, go with 2 6V golf cart batteries in series. 2 of them will carry as much juice as 3 12V Marines. The highest capacity ones I've found are Interstates. They aren't cheap but they're made to last.

For RV use, look at the Reserve Capacity. That's the number of minutes a battery can deliver 25 amps without dropping below a certain voltage (around 10V I think). Most Marine batteries will be 100 to 200 min. A good golf cart battery will top 400.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Rock chuck, I will have to see what the dimensions are and what can fit in the space available.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Being a farmer and part time welder I end up buyin my share of batteries...anything made by Johnson controls seem to be best...

I got a battery from an army guy used in 2006 or 7 and put it in one of my diesel welding machines...it can sit all winter and fire right up never seen a battery last 9 years...Optima........

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The best ones I've used are interstate.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
The best ones I've used are interstate.

Which are made by Johnson Controls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 optima's in the boat are 10 years old. However heard the recent ones are not near as good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chris_c
2 optima's in the boat are 10 years old. However heard the recent ones are not near as good.

Which are also made by Johnson Controls. Interesting.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I just got into them a year ago when I bought a little slide in camper. Research didn't show a big differnce in any of them inthe $150 range and less.I suppose when you double that, you can get better bateries.One thing I found,no one has more than a 1 year guarantee on them now.I did buy the Sears one.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What he said! Having only used 2 of the 6-volt deep cycles I will never go back to 12-volt for our travel trailer. The furnace fan EATS voltage when you need to run in cold weather. As RC said, two 6v is like having three 12-volts.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you want one that will carry a lot of juice, go with 2 6V golf cart batteries in series. 2 of them will carry as much juice as 3 12V Marines. The highest capacity ones I've found are Interstates. They aren't cheap but they're made to last.

For RV use, look at the Reserve Capacity. That's the number of minutes a battery can deliver 25 amps without dropping below a certain voltage (around 10V I think). Most Marine batteries will be 100 to 200 min. A good golf cart battery will top 400.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I got my golf cart batteries from Interstate, I asked the best procedure for maintaining them for long life. He said that any time you have electricity available, keep them on a 2v trickle charger, year round and especially when it's HOT. Keeping them at full charge all the time prevents sulfation which is lead crystallizing on the plates. Here's a rundown on it that I found online. This applies to all vehicle batteries, too.

People kill more deep cycle batteries with poor charging practices, than die of old age!
During the normal discharge process, soft lead sulfate crystals are formed in the pores and
on the surfaces of the positive and negative plates inside a lead-acid battery. When a
battery is left in a discharged condition, continually undercharged, or the electrolyte level is
below the top of the plates, some of the soft lead sulfate re-crystallizes into hard lead
sulfate. It cannot be reconverted during subsequent recharging. This creation of hard
crystals is commonly called permanent "sulfation". It accounts for approximately 85% of the
deep cycle lead-acid battery failures. The longer sulfation occurs, the larger and harder the
lead sulfate crystals become. The positive plates will be light brown and the negative plates
will be dull, off white. These crystals lessen a battery's capacity and ability to be recharged.
This is because deep cycle batteries are typically used for short periods, vacations,
weekend trips, etc, and then are stored the rest of the year to slowly self discharge. Car
batteries are normally used several times a month, so sulfation rarely becomes a problem.
As a consequence of parasitic load and natural self-discharge, permanent sulfation occurs
as the lead-acid battery discharges while in long term storage. (Parasitic load is the
constant electrical load present on a battery while it is installed in a vehicle even when the
power is turned off. The load is from the continuous operation of appliances, such as a
clock, security system, maintenance of radio station presets, etc.) While disconnecting the
negative battery cable will eliminate the parasitic load, it has no effect on the natural selfdischarge
of a car battery. Self-discharge is accelerated by temperature. Thus, sulfation
can be a huge problem for lead-acid batteries not being used, sitting on a dealer's shelf, or
in a parked vehicle, especially in HOT temperatures. Car and deep cycle lead-acid
batteries are perishable!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 32 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.