Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes I always do. My Hillpeople gear chest pack is the most useful item I have purchased in the last 5 years. I always wear a backpack when away from the car in the backcountry. I can remove the pack w/out being separated from my Glock.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Mostly not, but sometimes, yes.

That.

Have packed one and wished I'd left it at home, and have left it at home and wished I packed it.

Well said man!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It depends.

If I'm going to be going back to home base at night, most times not.

If I'm camping, you bet. It crawls into the sleeping bag with me and we usually don't camp in one place two nights in a row.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I carry a rifle usually, only. Wife carries a 329PD or maybe a 10mm Glock this year.

I carry both if I'm by myself, just in case. But thats pretty rare.

I do strap on a pistol when cleaning game though, as I'm kind of out of pocket and such, and would at least like to feel better rather than trying to get back to the rifle and all.

All in all, I've generally thought, it better to pay attention than to carry extra guns. Buy you never know what might happen.

A pistol of some sort is in the tent all the time when in camp, as the rifle is there, but a bit not so handy in a tent.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never have carried a sidearm hunting in Alaska.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a CPL so I carry a Kimber 45 ACP while hunting in MI for a couple of reasons.

JD338

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
there are areas that I've hunted here that I would not go again without a handgun along also, especially in bow season. Meth heads are some of the worst in teh bushes.....

Not like I can't handle em with the rifle, but with the bow... hmm...well one likley

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nope. If I can't kill it with the rifle I'm carrying, the pistol aint gonna be able to do it.

On the few occasions when Ive had to finish off a critter, a shot behind the ear with the rifle wastes no meat, and that cartridge is a tiny fraction of the weight of a sidearm to carry up the hill....

Perhaps I was not very clear on this thread. I should have asked if you carry a sidearm as backup. For example, in a life and death situation while hunting and not being able to use your rifle at the moment.

Dude I have hunted in bunches of places including Alaska and Africa, and hunted dangerous game...my rifle was always the first line of defense with no thought given to a sidearm. If I was unable to use my rifle in such a situation...I'll just perish I guess. That situation has obviously never cropped up and frankly I never expected that it would...

Though I did finish pissed off wounded leopard once by sticking a rusty-azzed Taurus .38 special in his ear...... whistle

The gun was borrowed from somebody else and the quarters were too tight even to get me and my sawed off shotgun in there...

" If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!" grin

Love the one you're with? What a novel idea. I like it, well, unless im hunting with a pal. But, i know what you mean. Many suffer through life without realiziing that valuable concept. Dead on, Ingwe.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't in the past, don't expect to in the future.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
It depends.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've carried a K-22 when I was in grouse country, other than that I rely on my rifle!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only time I pack my pistol is either when I'm bow hunting, hiking, ATVing, or fishing.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt with ,bow or long gun or pistol, only one at a time.... the pistol is in the boat on the wheeler or in the truck tho ...cause she's like a good dog and wants to go with me blush

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only time I have a handgun, is when I have my pack-frame on. Oh yeah, don't forget the bear spray.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually am carrying a handgun when not hunting but I hunt on foot and don't need any extra weight and see no need for a hangun when carrying a rifle. If you can't kill it with a rifle than it's doubtful you can kill it with a handgun.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Phil,
What do you think about hanging moose meat in camp?

Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not Phil, but the advise from a lot of people is not to do it. However, my hunting friends and I have done it a few times without any bear problems. Also, we have done such only if returning to the campsite late at night to sleep for a few hours before we ride the trail out to the trucks that are parked around 8 miles away.

We never leave a moose we have shot in the evening out there; just work on it and take all the edible meat and antlers away from the kill site. Since our campsite is the closest place to take a break, that's where we take the meat to. But if we kill a moose earlier in the day, we take the meat to the trucks, and have one of us take it home and hang it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely YES -Always carry a side arm.

When I put down moose and caribou, spine shots, they still wiggle. I put a finishing shot in the neck with the rifle.

The side arm is essentially superfluous in most cases except bears.

None the less I AlWAYS carry because I like it. Doesn't matter if it is superfluous, innocuous, trivial, un-needed, foolish ad infinite.

I sleep with my .38 S&W fully loaded in my night stand every night and have for decades.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 08/01/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I never pack a sidearm and rifle together.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
Phil,
What do you think about hanging moose meat in camp?

It depends on what you mean by "in camp" as we hunt moose in one of the densest populations of brown bears in the world. If we don't remove the meat from the kill immediately it is claimed by bears. We have had as many as four separate bears watching as we butcher and it is not uncommon to have to chase down a bear to recapture a lost quarter.
But in our main camp we have a meat shed with screen wire covered my Marston Matting and surrounded by an electric fence where we like to hang the meat for at least a week. It makes the meat a lot more tender.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.