Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Negative.

Technically precision is the ability of the rifle system to place it's rounds close to each other with no concern where those "groups" land in relation to the target.

Accuracy is the ability of the rifle system to center it's rounds over the target with no concern of how close the rounds are to each other.

When people talk "groups", they almost always are speaking about precision with no concern for accuracy.

To "hit" things we need to know both the precision (how well it groups) and the accuracy (how well it stays zeroed). To do otherwise is silly and has no correlation with the practical use of rifles.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Found out something interesting today...

Kimber is no longer cataloging the 7-08 Montana. I asked why and was told they needed to cut things to free up machines to meet production goals. I was also told demand for the 7-08 was low??

Better grab them quick....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lame!

The 7mm-08 was one of the best options in a Montana, combining great killing power with a modicum of recoil, at least IMO.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My thoughts as well Billy. It doesn't make much sense to me...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Kimber is no longer cataloging the 7-08 Montana. I asked why and was told they needed to cut things to free up machines to meet production goals. I was also told demand for the 7-08 was low??

Well that's a bummer on the 7mm-08 being dropped. I'm surprised that Kimber still lists the 280AI and 338 Win Mag on their site. I thought the 7mm-08 would be more popular than those other two.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FUNNY schit!

I've yet to see a Montucky in ANY chambering not dazzle,when wielded by a gent with a clue. Though in fairness,I'm only talking dozens of examples and multiple chamberings/action lengths. Hint.

Flipside being,I've gunned more than a few "bad" Montuckies,that were absolute phenoms in knowing mitts. Hint.

Joe Average is fhuqking Clueless.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Glad I got mine when I did. By the way, since SAS has been busy with his GS and home re-model, he got Eddie Fosnough to do a bedding job on my 7mm-08. He did a fabulous job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't had a chance to shoot it a lot since I got it back last Friday, but the few rounds I have shot were dead on.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Yep, I don't see it listed on their website. No matter, you can still get a 1-10" twist 243 or a 257 Roberts...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug, that looks nice.imagine it will perk real well - 120 TTSX?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yep, I don't see it listed on their website. No matter, you can still get a 1-10" twist 243 or a 257 Roberts...

Yeah, and then take the 257 Roberts and rebarrel it to an 8 twist 243AI...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Doug, that looks nice.imagine it will perk real well - 120 TTSX?

Marty, that's first on my agenda for later in the week. But, I probably already know the particulars of the load that will shoot. Just a matter of finding the OAL that works best.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That looks pretty dang clean of a bedding job.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RDW
I bought my 308 specifically as a donor, it shoots okay, better than the 223 but not as good as the 7. The 223 I bought from SAS hoping it would shoot the 75 Amax but if not the BTHP, and it won't shoot anything consistently less than 1 MOA at 200 so I ordered a barrel yesterday.

The way I look at it, if a Montana won't shoot I have the lightest SS CRF action and a damn good stock for approximately the same price as a 70 or 700 SS action and a Mickey Edge...and no wait on the stock.

What was the brand and specs of the barrel if you don't mind me asking.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lilja KIM84M, both barrels are 8 twist, three groove.

http://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/kim84m.pdf

Dave

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you RDW, best of luck with it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rl11
I've long coveted an 84m, and figured 'kimber roulette' was just a few unhappy, picky curmudgeons. I saved up my pennies and after perusing all the online outlets found the classic select that had walnut that met my standards, and ordered it.

[Linked Image]

First impression was great. What a well designed, balanced, and aesthetically pleasing rifle.

I loaded the magazine and started jacking rounds through. Huge gouge in each brass. Sticking my pinky in I could feel a burr the size of a Volkswagen on the feed rail. Whatever. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

I took the gun in to my smith to have the rail polished. He stuck his flashlight in the chamber and found this-

[Linked Image]

I have no idea what happened, but it's mind blowing to me that the chamber on a $1300 rifle can look like that.

Customer service was somewhat helpful, my rifle is back in Yonkers, and I've got a hunt in Alaska next month that I'll be taking my Ruger on.

I'm sure the vast majority of their rifles perform as they should, but obviously from my sample they've got some serious quality control issues.

Follow up on this rifle- I received it back from Kimber yesterday. The chamber meets their specifications and no work was performed to it. I still have not fired it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked the Montana but it was too light for my taste! Never owning something that light it took me a lot of "concentration" at the range to shoot. It would have worked great but I ended up selling it in short order.

I plan on trying another but will re barrel with a 2B Bartlein to add some "weight" to it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I was glad to grab the one I could, when I could...

A quick 243 from them would interest, along with the 7WSM again.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the smaller caliber Kimbers the most.

Little more barrel weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've long coveted an 84m, and figured 'kimber roulette' was just a few unhappy, picky curmudgeons. I saved up my pennies and after perusing all the online outlets found the classic select that had walnut that met my standards, and ordered it.

[Linked Image]

First impression was great. What a well designed, balanced, and aesthetically pleasing rifle.

I loaded the magazine and started jacking rounds through. Huge gouge in each brass. Sticking my pinky in I could feel a burr the size of a Volkswagen on the feed rail. Whatever. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

I took the gun in to my smith to have the rail polished. He stuck his flashlight in the chamber and found this-

[Linked Image]

I have no idea what happened, but it's mind blowing to me that the chamber on a $1300 rifle can look like that.

Customer service was somewhat helpful, my rifle is back in Yonkers, and I've got a hunt in Alaska next month that I'll be taking my Ruger on.

I'm sure the vast majority of their rifles perform as they should, but obviously from my sample they've got some serious quality control issues.

Follow up on this rifle- I received it back from Kimber yesterday. The chamber meets their specifications and no work was performed to it. I still have not fired it.

Thats the same thing they told me. Sorry they did it to you also.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.