Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[b][color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=189&v=-mSka-9CtoM[/video]

Seattle police Officer Cynthia Whitlatch was notified Monday she faces termination over the arrest of a 69-year-old African-American man who was carrying a golf club as a cane but she accused of wielding as a weapon, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Under department disciplinary procedures, Whitlatch will be given an opportunity to plead her case at a meeting in August with Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole before O’Toole issues a final decision, according to one source.

An internal investigation into Whitlatch’s July 9, 2014, arrest of William Wingate sustained a variety of policy violations, including biased policing, another source said.

Ron Smith, president of the Seattle Police Officers’ Guild, confirmed the notification and pending meeting with the chief.

He sharply criticized the findings and termination recommendation, saying he has lost confidence in the department’s Office of Professional Accountability (OPA), which conducted the internal investigation.

He vowed to appeal if O’Toole upholds the recommendation, asserting the department was throwing “spaghetti noodles against the wall to see how many will stick.”

The department declined to comment on the status of the case.

Wingate’s arrest unleased a firestorm of public criticism when patrol-car video of Whitlatch’s confrontation with him was made public in January.

Whitlatch, who is white, also came under scrutiny over the disclosure that, within two months after the arrest, her Facebook page included racially charged comments relating to the turmoil that erupted in Ferguson, Mo., after a young African-American man, Michael Brown, was shot and killed Aug. 9 by a white police officer.

Police apologized for the arrest and returned Wingate’s golf club, and O’Toole ultimately placed Whitlatch on paid leave pending the outcome of the internal investigation.

Wingate was on his daily, 10-mile walk, using the golf club as a cane, when Whitlatch stopped him on Capitol Hill, claiming he swung the club in a threatening manner, striking a stop sign, while she was driving past in her patrol car.

Video from her patrol car did not capture the alleged conduct, raising questions about Whitlatch’s account.

Smith, in his comments Monday, said there is no evidence showing that Wingate did not swing the club.

The video captured Whitlatch circling the block, pulling up alongside Wingate and repeatedly ordering him to drop the golf club.

On the video, Wingate denies any wrongdoing, refuses to drop the club and tells Whitlatch to call somebody — presumably a supervisor or another officer.

Smith said Whitlatch didn’t escalate a confrontation marked by her constant use of “please” and “sir” and Wingate’s refusal to comply with her requests. He noted Wingate complied with a male officer who arrived at the scene.

Wingate, a military veteran and former King County Metro Transit bus driver, was arrested and booked into jail for investigation of unlawful use of a weapon and obstructing a public officer.

City prosecutors pursued only the weapon offense and Wingate quickly agreed to a continuance of his case, under which the misdemeanor charge would be dropped in two years if he met court conditions. But prosecutors later dismissed the entire case.

The OPA’s internal investigation into Whitlatch’s conduct did not formally include the Facebook post, which was critical of “black peoples (sic) paranoia” in assuming whites are “out to get them,” and cited the Ferguson riots that followed the shooting of Brown.

The OPA had previously determined the post involved off-duty conduct and referred the matter for supervisory counseling.

But the department is seeking to use the post as backdrop to support a bias finding in Wingate’s arrest, Smith said, even though the post has nothing do with happened at the time of the arrest.

He stressed the union wasn’t insensitive to concerns in the African-American community about the post, but that the department’s case hadn’t been proved by clear and convincing evidence.

The post played a role in the police department’s development of a sweeping new social-media policy that went into effect March 1, which bars officers from privately posting comments that reflect negatively on the department and its ability to serve the community.

Another officer’s Twitter posts in which he ranted about race, gays, President Obama and other subjects also preceded the new policy.

In April, Wingate, now 70, filed a lawsuit in King County Superior Court after his precursor claim seeking at least $750,000 in damages went unanswered by the city. Named in the suit were the city of Seattle and Whitlatch.

The suit alleges Wingate was targeted because he is black. It also noted the Facebook post.

Wingate was arrested as he was walking to The Facts Newspaper office in Seattle’s Madrona neighborhood to pick up copies to deliver to fellow church members in an assisted-living facility, according to the suit.

Since his arrest, the lawsuit says, Wingate has been treated for depression and post-traumatic stress and is fearful of police officers he doesn’t know.

Whitlatch was hired by the city in 1997.

After Wingate’s arrest, she expressed strong displeasure with prosecutors for not pursuing a charge of obstructing a public officer in addition to the weapon charge, according to an email exchange.

“As far as obstruction cases go this guy was one of the most obstinate, uncooperative, and obstructive suspects I’ve dealt with in my 17+ years in patrol,” Whitlatch wrote. “He received warning after warning. I would like to see him charged. The behavior was completely unacceptable toward any law-enforcement officer. It would be nice if that message would be made clear with charges.”

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That broad was a fool she should be fired.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Agreed.

When golf clubs are outlawed only outlaws will have golf clubs.

Seattle should be it own state with a tight fence to keep the crazies in.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
IF, he had swung that golf club as she turned the corner, just how much danger would she have been in?

Over reaction at best, god complex probably closer to the truth.

SMH.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why does the arrested man's race matter?!?

Oh, wait never mind.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoulda used a #1 iron.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by philgood80
Why does the arrested man's race matter?!?

Oh, wait never mind.

Because, if you read the article, the officer was fired for violations involving the department's prohibitions on racial bias in policing.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looked like she went out of her way to avoid a confrontation, nobody would be upset if he had a baseball bat. A damn golf club is a dangerous weapon when used as such, much worse than a cane. I have seen what they can do and it ain't pretty, one case was a fatality.

All she wanted him to do was put it down so they could talk, what the hell was/is the big deal? I dang sure would not get in striking range of one. And I have seen many folks using them as "Canes" when walking to stave off dogs and two legged critter. His claim of PTSD and such is pure bovine excrement IMHO, he sees deep pockets and is going for some, again IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess the point is who gives a crap if he does have it as a walking stick that can be used as a weapon. I might just start carrying a really nice antique ice axe as a walking stick.

[Linked Image]

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If he was walking in any large city, he had good cause to be armed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep. I never go to Seattle unarmed, but then I never leave home unarmed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S.O.P. is usually to have interviewee to give you their weapon(s) for the duration of interview. If no further action is merited, return the hardware and move on.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have to admit I do not get stopped often but I have never had any officer disarm me. Not even in ultra liberal OR ans WA.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
She is an idiot and obviously in the wrong. Old man should have realized this and put the golf club down. He did nothing wrong but is lucky she did not cap him. Two idiots meet on a street corner.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Pro-black-guy I've never met, or pro-cop I've never met?

Nothing could be more divisive in the eyes of the Campfire.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Next time, he ought to get Tiger Woods to caddy that club for him.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Smith, in his comments Monday, said "there is no evidence showing that Wingate did not swing the club."

There is no evidence showing he wasn't on the grassy knoll either.

Brother must of shot Kennedy too.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Black guy carrying a tennis racket or golf club? Make the stop.

Ashe and Woods were flukes.

White Campfire Guy

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Black guy carrying a tennis racket or golf club? Make the stop.

Ashe and Woods were flukes.

White Campfire Guy

I think I would be more afraid if it was Tiger's ex-wife with a golf club.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
She can beat me.

Twice.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.