Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
No down side that I know of. Years of messing with airplanes...

If you have a fender bender, it may cost more to fix.

buddy ownes a body shop, had one come in that got hit in the bed side, said it cost about 7500$ for parts and labor, he said he felt terrible, but he had to charge that to make anything. his advice, buy something made of steel, cause you wont like to cost to fix if it gets hit

Well it will cost me the same, but my insurance co won't like it. Ford, Chev, and Dodge have been using aluminum hoods on trucks for a while now... I think, not positive though. Ford has for sure.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by maggie
Much of the new truck talk seems centered around Ford F150 with it's aluminum, or "High strength, military grade, aluminum alloys", as they say in the ad. Also says it "resists corrosion". Aluminum has been tried before on various parts at least, corrosion seems to have been a real issue. In areas that don't have winter road salt, maybe not so much a worry, but wondering about how it will/wont hold up in other areas? Like to hear opinions/facts from those in the know. Thanks.
.........Not a corrosion expert. But regardless of frame material whether steel or aluminum, there are coatings that can be applied underneath to the frame that combat severe conditions.

The only downside that I've heard is, is that when an aluminum frame has been damaged in an accident the costs are up vs the steel frame. Secondly, most collision shops are not equipped to handle repairing aluminum frames because a completely seperate and closed off area must be used so that the aluminum material is not compromised or contaminated by any steel fragments.

Also, quite an investment by the collision shops will be needed to fix aluminum frames if they choose to. A specially equipped re-tooled for aluminum shop must be used.

All of the above per Jerry Reynolds the car pro USA guy on the AM radio that I listen to once in awhile.

I can understand why Ford now uses the aluminum frame for the F150. To lighten up the truck for better MPG. Maybe keeping the steel frame and going with an 8 spd trans and maybe re-tweeking the rear end ratio a little for lower engine RPMs might have accomplished the same MPG results while not compromising performance? Hell I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wonder ifin they'll fix this... grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Much of the new truck talk seems centered around Ford F150 with it's aluminum, or "High strength, military grade, aluminum alloys", as they say in the ad. Also says it "resists corrosion". Aluminum has been tried before on various parts at least, corrosion seems to have been a real issue. In areas that don't have winter road salt, maybe not so much a worry, but wondering about how it will/wont hold up in other areas? Like to hear opinions/facts from those in the know. Thanks.
.........Not a corrosion expert. But regardless of frame material whether steel or aluminum, there are coatings that can be applied underneath to the frame that combat severe conditions.

The only downside that I've heard is, is that when an aluminum frame has been damaged in an accident the costs are up vs the steel frame. Secondly, most collision shops are not equipped to handle repairing aluminum frames because a completely seperate and closed off area must be used so that the aluminum material is not compromised or contaminated by any steel fragments.

Also, quite an investment by the collision shops will be needed to fix aluminum frames if they choose to. A specially equipped re-tooled for aluminum shop must be used.

All of the above per Jerry Reynolds the car pro USA guy on the AM radio that I listen to once in awhile.

I can understand why Ford now uses the aluminum frame for the F150. To lighten up the truck for better MPG. Maybe keeping the steel frame and going with an 8 spd trans and maybe re-tweeking the rear end ratio a little for lower engine RPMs might have accomplished the same MPG results while not compromising performance? Hell I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

For the record the only thing aluminum on the new f150 is the skin, frame remains steel and it's heavier frame than the 2014.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Actually the 2015 F150 frame is 60lbs lighter than the 2014 and thinner. supposed to be made out of 10% stronger steel....Some of the new 2015 F150 owners are complaining of Door rattles From Frame flexing on rough roads. I own a 2014 no rattles and frame flexing on rough roads.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cfran

For the record the only thing aluminum on the new f150 is the skin, frame remains steel and it's heavier frame than the 2014.
............Then Ford will start using aluminum frames for the '016 F150s?

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I own a 15, no rattles and have read enough to know there is much Less flex in the new frames. Truck is way nicer than previous generations to boot.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cfran

............Then Ford will start using aluminum frames for the '016 F150s?

Aluminum caskets Jack, don't look back!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the aluminum models cost this much, how much are the scandium frames going to run? Ouch.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New crewcab F150's are about $50k.

You can get a similar equipped F250 with the 6.2 gas engine for the same price or even less money.

And to me that is weird.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the steel vs aluminum chevrolet commercial is pretty humorous considering GM's most powerful line-up uses composites with aluminum frames. I guess the advertising gang doesn't think things through really well... or maybe they know exactly what they're doing. Introducing doubt that few will think past.

FWIW, I've done insurance quotes on a 2015 GMC and a 2015 F150 with like features and the F150 was indeed cheaper by a few dollars.

Tzone, correct. My 2004 F150 had an aluminum hood.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ford also has some very attractive financial incentives right now.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Opinions are like ass holes everybodys got one.....I think the new F150 is the ugliest truck on the road....That new front end is hideous. and the rear is not much better....but its made out of Aluminum. crazy

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
Opinions are like ass holes everybodys got one.....I think the new F150 is the ugliest truck on the road....That new front end is hideous. and the rear is not much better....but its made out of Aluminum. crazy

Very true about opinions, the '15 is the only body style I like, no way could buy an older one. Glad we are both happy, that's all that matters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a '14 based on the $$ and the fact that the '15 is new. I know the running gear is much the same, but I stay away from new/greatly changed models for the first year or two. I'll definitely look at F-150s next time, just like all the rest, and buy the one that best fits my needs.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
run al hulls in salt water for quite a few years now... take to the carwash when done, although I can't get under the poly on the bottom of the hull.

Have seen no issues so far. Been doing this a bit over 10 years now IIRC.

If that won't tell how durable aluminum is in a salt environment, nothing will.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The 15 is nice... I just don't like the front end, maybe it will grow on me. I trade every 2 years and I will buy a Ford the next time also...I just could not pass up the deal on the 14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I bought a '14 based on the $$ and the fact that the '15 is new. I know the running gear is much the same, but I stay away from new/greatly changed models for the first year or two. I'll definitely look at F-150s next time, just like all the rest, and buy the one that best fits my needs.

I did the same, after I looked over the new 2015 models when they arrived at my Dealer.

And I saved almost $14K off of the price of my new 2014 Platinum 4X4 SuperCrew F-150.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by rost495
run al hulls in salt water for quite a few years now... take to the carwash when done, although I can't get under the poly on the bottom of the hull.

Have seen no issues so far. Been doing this a bit over 10 years now IIRC.

If that won't tell how durable aluminum is in a salt environment, nothing will.

Take one of our carrier based warplanes and remove all the corrosion mitigation measures (galvanic, surface attack, etc) from the skins and substructure and see how durable aluminum is in a maritime environment. Crevice corrosion alone would be off the charts. Certainly an extreme case but shows its use in a saline environment has to be vetted thoroughly.

Last edited by 32_20fan; 07/28/15.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Quote:
Aluminum blocks, heads, radiators, are all junk IMO...

Based on?

Chevy Vega engine blocks in particular. Replaced them like bananas - in bunches. Had Vegas lined up behind the dealership waiting because we could not get replacement short blocks in fast enough. Also saw my share of aluminum radiators junked and if you overheat an aluminum head, it was scrap metal. At least cast iron heads that crack due to overheating can be repaired. Worked at a Diesel shop that specialized in repairing those. Have seen warped aluminum valve body assemblies in automatic transmissions cause a problem, but not often. Give me iron. Actually my brother-in-law says drinking from aluminum cans is not good for a person, so I may need to rescind my approval of it for beer cans grin

Last edited by Topstock; 07/30/15.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.