Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
Doglog, get busy on your homework and pop those unsightly zits before bedtime.
Man.... If you only knew what I have done and where I have been the last 20 years since I have been in school. I have been to places and saw things that they don't teach you in school...

Now, hike up your skirt and see if you can come up with a better come back than zits and school.
School is out and it has been for many years.

There is people that DO and there is people that wish they did more. Which one are you?

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doglog, you've the mind of an adolescent as evidenced by your postings, so you can hardly blame me for confusing you with one. wink

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
Doglog, you've the mind of an adolescent as evidenced by your postings, so you can hardly blame me for confusing you with one. wink
That's a pretty good comeback.

Your gettin better.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been following this thread with a great deal of amusement. Time to join the pizzin match.... smile

If an '06 is "too much gun" for you use something lighter, with less recoil, that you can shoot accurately and comfortably.. Doesn't mean you are a puzzy - just means you have a problem with recoil. Jack O'Conner did, and he killed more game with the .270 and 130 grain bullets than most of us will ever kill with anything!

There is an excellent selection of Premium bullets out there now that O'Conner didn't have access to, in all calibers, that will compensate quite nicely for smaller caliber/ lighter recoil. Higher velocity can figure in also.

Above all, placement is everything - I've largely gone back to non-premiums....not that I'm such a good shot - I just like to pick em... A large bore, and/or Premium won't compensate for a gut shot...

I'm 6'0, 165 lbs and tolerate recoil up to .375 WM in standard weight rifles just fine. That .416 I shot some years back I'll pass on.... smile

Then again, I'm a believer of tuning in a rifle, firing it for POA accuracy before taking it hunting, and leaving it the hell alone the rest of the time. YMMV, but pouring lead down the barrel for no apparent reason doesn't do it for me... My perfect season for a rifle so tunedto confidence (and carried in the field/dry fired, etc. extensively to develop muscle memory) is to take it out of storage, wipe the bore, put one round thru it for check, drop a beast with the next round, use a third round for insurance, clean the gun and put it away for next use.

My personal heaviest rifle is a 10 lb .338WM (pretty much dedicated moose rifle in heavy-cover brown-bear habitat) which has less perceived recoil than the 17 inch bbled '06 (both are Ru77OM). OK- the M98 30-06 with 27 inch heavy bbl is likely a weight match for the .338 - and boy is it nice to shoot! I 'm using it as a snow-machine carry-gun for caribou on the Arctic tundra.

Mostly in other hunting I carry "Stub" in preference to either of the heavyweights above...

Which isn't to say I won't carry the 7 1/2 lb. .260 on a bust-ass mountain hunt for anything up to moose (It did fine on that Colorado elk a few years back). I might hesitate a bit on a brown bear, even with a premium bullet, but then I have a pact with them things. If they don't try to put big ugly holes in me, I'll reciprocate. I don't doubt that the .260 would kill one, however. Just might get a bit sporty... Especially since, given the above, I won't have a choice... smile

Black bears for meat are definitely at risk...

A .30-06 is adequate for all North American game, including the big bears, with properly chosen bullets, and proper placement. Ask Phil Shomaker.

There is no such thing as too much gun for game - only for the shooter. If the chit hits the fan, I'd rather have a guy beside me who can shoot a .270, than a guy with a .416 that can't...

If, on the other hand, all things being equal, I'll pick the guy that can shoot that hand-held 5 inch Naval gun..... smile

If I was limited to just one rifle for big game hunting in North America, I would pick either a .300 (WM, or SM) for the velocity/trajectory, or a 30-06 for ammo availability. I just can't decide...... smile I loved my .300 Norma Mag, which burned up in a fire about 40 years ago. Never since have had a .30 Mag., only '06's (as well as other calibers) which '06's have never proved to be too little or too much gun.

Well, there was this one rock ptarmigan... but that was a matter of aim.. A head/neck and a leg , strung together with back skin wasn't exactly meal-making...

A .22 would have been better in that instance.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Crickets..

Originally Posted by SLM
Still looking?

Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SLM
I haven't seen one person say the /06 has to much recoil so they don't use it, or seen anybody say anything about bolt throw either.

Have used an /06 quit a bit and agree with many that my 308's recoil less. I have been unable to see a difference between the 2 on animals, so why put up with more recoil?

You are an idiot...

Originally Posted by SLM
Are you still angry you can't produce a single pic of anything you've killed with an /06?

Come on, post one pic of you and anything you've killed.

Where'd you run off to again?

Find any pics yet?

IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Productive thread. Good stuff.
Enjoyed all the posts. Thanks folks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For NA game under 500 lbs yes it's more than required. However not by that much. So most basically you are talking about elk, moose at > 500 lbs unless you like to include bison and musk ox. For elk and moose its not too much gun at all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 30/06 is not to much!

Many rounds that are smaller than the 30/06 are more than enouph!

Pretty much sums it up.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is the first time I've seen this thread and have NOT read past P 1.

TOO MUCH Gun??

Can you get TOO DEAD ??

? OVER kill ?

I have ideas and opinions per this question but......

unlike a few of our participants, I don't feel the need to express 'every' and 'all' of my ideas nor feelings.

Short Sweet Answer -- No, not too much for big game.

Now I'm going to read past P 1.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now I've read thru P 10.

I went w/o an 06 for a number of years and didn't really miss it because I had 270s, 7 mags, 300 mags, etc.

Now I have another 06 in a rifle I really like and don't plan to be/do w/o an 06 ever again.

Several have mentioned the 06s versatility and ammo AVAILABILITY and those are important.

My bottom line is, the 06 is TOO GOOD to be w/o.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
Some of you need to start drinking.

OR...starting killin game instead of talkin!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GuyM

[Linked Image]
Regards, Guy

THAT's the most beautiful chocolate colored bear I've ever seen!!

Tell your son, I'm JEALOUS! sick

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Those light 270 bullets have poor BCs and SDs, nobody uses those....

Except maybe the odd gay guy:)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

My bottom line is, the 06 is TOO GOOD to be w/o.

bump -

REDUX!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just got through reading all 24 pages on this thread. Man do some people get their lace panties in a wad. whistle
I shoot stuff from the .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby and yeah, that one kicks. I started hunting at age 11 with an old M94 30-30. Didn't get my first serious big game rifle until 1954 at age 16, a 1917 Enfield in 30-06. Made it into a pretty decent looking shorter. Killed a few deer with it with 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter although they didn't call them that back then. Been shooting all kinds of stuff but always had an 06 on hand. I did go to a .308 back in 1973 because that 10 pound 1903 Springfiel porter like to killed me up and 8 to 9 thousand feet MSL. Was a serious chain smoker back then. blush Stuck with the .308, a 270 at times but always had that 06 as a back up. FWIW, I'm currently playing with a 7x57 and a .280 Rem,, not to mention a .35 Whelen. Took the Whelen on my elk hunt this last January and an 06 went along. For spits and grins I took the 06 on the first day and had an elk down in less that three hours. Custom rifle shooting 165 gr. Accubonds. The Whelen got a vacation. I am a rifle loony, played with a lot of cartridges but only hunted a few.
I realize that does not answer the OP's question. The answer being as honest and truthful as I can is................................................................NO!
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder what the perfect whitetail cartridge is...

Has to be 7mm-08 or a 260. Maybe 7X57....or a 6.5X55.

A 243 or even a 257 Roberts or a 250 Savage would also be worth a mention.

For deer, a 300 Savage is probably nearabouts perfection.

...And by that reasoning, the 3o-o6 is just an overachiever, and a 300 H&H is just wasted powder.

Is deer season close?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A squirrel has sharp teeth...and can naw a path straight up to your jugular very quickly!

Therefore, I would only use a 270 on game smaller than squirrels.

Everything else get the 06.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
I wonder what the perfect whitetail cartridge is...

I used to worry about this.... smile

But after killing them with lots of things in a dozen (or more) states and provinces, I don't anymore.

I just grab a 270. So easy, painless,and not the least but mind-numbing. Results are always the same. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You know...you keep living your life in such a simple fashion...you're lilely to live a long time.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I tend to go overkill on just about everything. But the thought of driving a smart car, fishing out of a canoe, using 2# test line and watching a 24 inch TV just doesn't do it for me. I like my 300 Win Mag, 3/4 ton pickup, 23ft North River boat, 45# braid and a 70 inch flat screen!

Keep your eye on the fruit........
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.