Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I rarely buy new but was planning to today.. So I take time off work and drive the 30 mins.

Went to buy a new rifle only available at SW, completed the 4473 and the guy tells me they can only use the web based E-Check process. I thought oh great and reminded him that I have a UPIN.
I used to get delayed until I applied for and received a UPIN about 10 yrs ago.
Never an issue until Today. He input the info including the UPIN while I was looking at goodies. Computer grinds away for probably 10 mins and BAM delayed..

Anybody else have issues with E-Check vs a call in??

OH well....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He should have called it in. That's BS about only being able to use the e-check. Just dial the phone number. I'm pretty sure there isn't a place on the e-check for your UPIN. That background check, like resident and non-resident aliens, can only be done over the phone.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you've got a UPIN, you can get a CHL, which, in most states, (don't know about yours) gets you an instant gun. if it's an issue, got for the CHL. Hope deflave doesn't chew my ass out about this post.

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But the guy that killed 9 people in Charleston passed and so did the guy that shot up the theater in LA.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is UPIN?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by arkypete
What is UPIN?

Jim

I'm sure someone can give more details, but essentially you submit your finger prints to the FBI NICS and they do a background search and maintain it on file. Long and short of it, it's supposed to prevent getting the delayed authorization.

Little more than a month ago I submitted my application for one and a couple weeks later got a letter from NICS saying they're back logged processing applications from last Nov at that time.

Ever since I got my govt clearance I've been delayed about 50% of the time. Got to the point I didn't even want to try buying something if I was out of town.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That may be my issue but in my area lots work for the gov.
I looked at the E-check user guide online and there is a spot for a UPIN.

Just aggravating, not a life event....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Cal 74.

If you've got a Govt. Clearance, you also have a responsibility to self-report anything that happens in your life which might affect your clearance.

Why not self-report this delay to your Chief Security Officer? Take the stance "I've got nothing to hide but, apparently the NCIS has some reason to delay me.

The NCIS may not give you the time of day but I'll bet they won't ignore a Govt. Security Officer's official inquiry.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For non Oregon residents I want to clarify in Oregon dealers don't utilize the free NICs service. We have Firearms Instant Check System (FICS)run by the Oregon State Police. We can access them through OREGON FICS On-Line or by phone. The guys doing the actual checks are not cops but civilian employees working in a call center. An Oregon check is far more thorough than the free nationally run NICs check. It costs the Oregon dealer $10 for each FIC's back ground check. Before I was a dealer I got soaked as much as $75 for a transfer. Thanks Tidewater Shooting Supplies.

Form 4473 box 9 is for your Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) The instructions for every question are printed on the attached pages of every form.

If you forgot some info or made a mistake on the initial form you can call OSP to add your UPIN info to the existing 4473 verbally and that should speed things up. Otherwise any FBI entry activity is a cause for delay because OSP can not see the info directly and has to inquire. It can take 3 to 20 weeks to get it back. FBI security clearance files are closely guarded so it takes a bit of red tape to access them and it has to be sent by secure methods. Not electronically. Once they get the info they keep it handy for about a year before it is lost in their mandatory info purge. By law OSP can keep the info on file for no more than 5 years.

I have a few customers that have security clearances from military or energy department employment and they get delayed every time if it's been over a year since their last transfer. I even have police customers that get delayed regularly. It does help to use your social security number because if there is a bad guy in the country that has a similar name and DOB they need to make sure it's not them. If this happens frequently a UPIN will help. OSP is terribly slow returning calls on the challenge line so have patience if you leave a message there.

Once you get past this delay it helps to buy a gun at least once a year to keep your info on file.

On May 11th Governor Kate Brown signed into effect SB 941. This means on August 11th 2015 SB 941 goes into effect requiring all Oregon private transfers to go through a dealer.

Information Regarding Purchase of A Firearm in Oregon

Here is the phone numbers for FICs:
Dealer toll-free number: 800-432-5059
Dealer local Salem number: 541-843-3002
Challenge Line: 844-770-8648
Firearms Fax: 503-370-8584
Firearms Supervisor: 971-273-4163
Firearms Manager: 971-273-4496

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Several on line discussions all state the UPIN doesn't really help when the dealer used E-Check as the system will default to delay since the UPIN info is all but impossible to access quickly.

Bottom line is if you have any issues before than buying at SW will lead to a "delayed" response...

Of course trying to get them to just call is like teaching a horse to speak English....

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There is no auto anything including defaults. The echeck is 100% processed by someone reading the screen. It updates both directions every 15 seconds. When it slow they can see every 15 seconds your progress. If it's busy you watch and when you work your way down in line until it's under review. If they have a question they will call when it's they are reviewing it. Its all very manual. Your UPIN FBI file will cause them to delay because all they can see is you have a hit in the FBI data base. They don't have a clue if it's criminal or what ever. Had your dealer included the UPIN number as he input the info it should have went right through. Call them and give it to them. Use the dealer line and explain what's going on.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Shawn- just hung up with SW and they are supposedly calling NICS. They also supposedly entered my UPIN in the system.

Who knows but I called to get the NTN which they wouldn't release over the phone.

He will call back and we'll see.......

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have a UPIN, don't put you SS# on the form. E-Check will red flag the SS#.

Kelly
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kelly- that is exactly my plan going forward! Especially at SW.....

I was laying in bed, not wanting to get up and came to that same conclusion....

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a customer with a UPIN. The first time, I entered his SS#. DELAY!

The second time, I just neglected to enter his SS#. Immediate PROCEED!

He has since gotten his CHL, so it's not an issue any more.

Kelly
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I never give my SSN anymore. I did a few times and every time I got a delay. Stopped doing it, no delay.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I haven't found much rhyme or reason to some delays. I have used ODL, OR ID, Military ID, CHL, Police ID, FBI id, TSA id and TWIC card as primary and supplemental in place of and in addition to and it can still happen. Cops get delayed fairly frequently.

The very longest delay was a poor guy who lived a block from here who had lived in Oregon about 2 years. He had retired from the Dept of Energy in CA where he worked at nuclear power plant for most of his career. He just wanted to go hunting. He bought a rifle at Fred Meyer and got delayed. Then he bought more rifles about from every shop in town including me thinking the dealer was messing up. From me it was a stainless Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. He started bugging me about 5 days after the delay saying I could legally give it to him if they had not denied him by 3 days. I didn't know him and I checked with the other shops to see if they were going to transfer before the determination and everyone said no. After 16 weeks they delayed him for another 16 weeks. He was furious. By now I was getting to know him pretty well so I went ahead and gave it to him. I warned him if it came back denied the police were coming for it and he agreed. He got delayed another time or two and I kind of forgot about it. Then one day out of the blue at least 6 months later OSP called to say as long as the 4473 was still true I could transfer it. I told him I already did and that kind of ticked him off. He said I was within the law to do so but it would have been nice to tell them so they could have dropped the rest of the check. He said it was a lot of work and expense to obtain his info. Since then his transfers go right through.

Point is, after a fat 72 hours the way the ATF calculates it can be up to 5 days, the dealer can legally give it to you. You just can't really sell or cut it up until it is approved in case they want it back. If they take it you are out what you paid for it. If you wait and the thing gets denied then the dealer can send it back or resell it for you and get you a refund.

For my frequent flyers that get delayed I deliver after the 3 days. So far none of them have been denied. It's up to the dealer. He is not obligated to give it to you until he feels like it. The final discretion is the dealer. If he feels you are up to no good he alone can stop the deal. Once approved by OSP then if the buyer goes out and commits a crime with it the dealer is immune from liability. If he does it without approval then he can be held liable. This is why most dealers won't transfer until approved. It doesn't apply here but that makes the info complete for anyone else looking in.

Break time is about over. Time to go make the donuts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I never give my SSN anymore. I did a few times and every time I got a delay. Stopped doing it, no delay.

Same here, never gave it, never delayed.

It ain't required so I won't volunteer that info.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They aren't paying you, so have no need for the SSN.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So, what are you getting?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (338Rules, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,297 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,459
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.