Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Close to getting a load finalized for my tikka 6.5x55. Using ramshot magnum, and 140 grain interlocks. During load work up, I never got pressure signs before running out of powder space and while it was accurate I wanted to experiment and try magnum primers. Switching from standard large rifle (federal) to magnum large rifle (cci), I started by dropping down 3 full grains of powder and working up from there. The starting load flattened the primers (very flat). Remember that I saw no pressure signs with the standard federal primers and an additional 3 grains of powder. Does this make sense? It surprised the heck out of me.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The best way to tell if you have higher pressure with one load than another is with a chronograph.

The magnum primers could just be softer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I did have that thought also as the loads with magnum primers actually impacted lower on the target. Don't federal primers have a reputation as having softer cups than CCI though?

Last edited by GUhunter; 07/27/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GUhunter,

Despite what many handloaders believe, primer flatness is practically worthless as a pressure indicator, for a couple of reasons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Mule Deer,

I hoped you might chime in. Your posts led me to using Ramshot Magnum in this cartridge in the first place.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
So how did the load shoot?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So how did the load shoot?

Measured at .668 for 3 shots which is pretty well in line with its preferred charge with the standard primers.

My reasoning for further experimentation (other than I can't help but tinker) is that, because I ran out of powder space before seeing anything concerning as far as pressure, I felt I was leaving some velocity on the table. I know an extra little bit of velocity matters little in the real world, but I'm just trying to look at all possibilities.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Isn't Ramshot Magnum a ball powder?

I would of started with a magnum primer.

As for the POI shift, they are very common with a change in primers. It can have more to do with a shift in harmonics then a change in velocity.

I often play with primers to optimize accuracy, not velocity.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Yes, a ball powder. Perhaps I should have started with a magnum primer but I've read and heard many times that it is less necessary than many would lead you to believe, even in a cold Wyoming winter.

I truly expected to see pressure before I ran out of powder space with this combo but since I didn't, I reasoned that I might be able to get a bit more out of it by going to a magnum primer. Accuracy has been plenty good and easy to obtain with this combo and I don't particularly need it to do better in that department than it's already done.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Despite what many handloaders believe, primer flatness is practically worthless as a pressure indicator, for a couple of reasons.

Exactly. Even if you compare primers of the same type out of the same lot, you can't derive much pressure information.

Also note that different types of primers have different thicknesses of metal.

A chronograph is your friend.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Isn't Ramshot Magnum a ball powder?

I would of started with a magnum primer.

As for the POI shift, they are very common with a change in primers. It can have more to do with a shift in harmonics then a change in velocity.

I often play with primers to optimize accuracy, not velocity.

I have gone for velocity in a Swift.
Worked too! grin smoked the tube in 1500 rounds.
Launched a 52 SMK @ 4050. H-380 max + and mag primer.
Speer load. laugh

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.