Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bluffview
"Look at the crooked zipper on that 1/4 zip shirt for example. WTH were they thinking?"

The thinking behind the offset zipper is to prevent it from rubbing on your adam's apple when fully zipped and/or wearing layers and having two or more zipper pulls there. I'm not saying it's good/bad or anything else just the reason it's made that way. I do think that is the most "offset" I've seen on any top though.

Sitka and Scent Blocker have been adding offset zippers in their outer layers for a couple of years, some of it works, some are worse with the stiff collar blocking your movement more than the zipper would.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I didn't have issues with Cabelas stuff until about two years ago. Since then I have returned quite a few items. I noticed the quality go down about the time I saw China as being the source. One camping chair lasted about two minutes. I suppose the quality issue is the same in most retailers that use that source for their goods.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been pretty happy with some Cabelas clothes, microtex pants, fleece jacket, puffy type jacket and just got an Alaskan guide jacket.

I'm with some on here wishing that there were more non camo options.

I watched for sales on most of them and did pretty well I think.

I like the Cabelas 3D sleeping bag too, also bought with a very good discount.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bargain cave is the only place i shop cabelas.

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I've been pretty happy with some Cabelas clothes..

+1. I have a pair of zip-off hiking pants I bought years ago that's still going strong. I have some camo stuff I used for turkey hunting that I bought in 2001, still in good shape save for some fading(obviously). Have an insulated jacket and overalls I've used for tree stand hunts in cold weather I bought about 2010. All in good shape. I haven't bought much from them lately and I've gravitated away from camo...just don't like it and feel it's unnecessary, at least for my hunting.
I've also gravitated toward wool, specifically merino. So I hunt in some LL Bean wool pants on cold days and a Woolrich wool shirt.

But yeah, I may try some different options if non-camo were in those options.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Much of my older Cabela's stuff was "made in USA" but have not had that tag on much lately, save for some of their socks.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I can't imagine anyone paying retail for Cabelas branded clothing, but I have gotten some decent stuff of theirs at a deep discount.

This. I've bought a Cabela's jacket, on sale, and new Cabela's waders, deeply discounted from a private seller (eBay).

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Add me to that list as well. And, I'm still waiting for a big sale if I am to procure it. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best hunting clothes are made by tree hugging hiker hippies, but I won't bitch about $119 for a pair of Meindl Denalis out of the cave..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
The best hunting clothes are made by tree hugging hiker hippies, but I won't bitch about $119 for a pair of Meindl Denalis out of the cave..
The tree huggers don't make everything camo.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Camo schmamo. First Lite seems to get it. Kuiu would be nice if size Large didnt mean Chinese X-Small and they could keep their crap in stock. Under Armour might be onto something. Best pants I've ever used are Mountain Hardware Piero's.

But each to his own.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by snubbie

+1 on the microtex clothing in solids. My biggest gripe with camo clothing is that it is camo.

Exactly.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by snubbie
I received a catalog today and see Cabelas has jumped into the overpriced hunting duds market. Apparently their new "Instinct" line offers another venue to sink $1000 bucks in a fashionable and technologically advanced hunting outfit. They also jumped into the expensive pack and tent market wjth their "Instinct" line.

Okay, I'm being a little facetious. I have some expensive duds myself and I'm sure some of this is "the stuff". I'd be curious how these new packs stack up.

At the end of the day, I'm sure more animals will die this season as a result of more high-tech camo choices.

Uhhh....I've been buying overpriced hunting duds from Cabela's for 30 years.........I fail to see what's new here.

I shouldn't be too harsh, my serious coldish weather "Whitetail" series Gore-Tex/polar fleece jacket is 25 years old and still going strong.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am I the only one that spent his teen years in cotton long johns, coveralls, 2 pairs of athletic socks (for warmth, of course) dads work boots and a gas station orange hat that itched like hell?

Those were the days, holy schit.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Am I the only one that spent his teen years in cotton long johns, coveralls, 2 pairs of athletic socks (for warmth, of course) dads work boots and a gas station orange hat that itched like hell?

Those were the days, holy schit.....
Nope! Spent more than a few days in 2X4 stands dressed like that half frozen.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My comfort in cold weather increased dramatically years ago when a local store had milsurp wool pants for $7. I bought 2 pair. Later Cabelas had the same pants for $10 and I bought 3 more. I have enough to last me the rest of my life.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.