Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I received a catalog today and see Cabelas has jumped into the overpriced hunting duds market. Apparently their new "Instinct" line offers another venue to sink $1000 bucks in a fashionable and technologically advanced hunting outfit. They also jumped into the expensive pack and tent market wjth their "Instinct" line.

Okay, I'm being a little facetious. I have some expensive duds myself and I'm sure some of this is "the stuff". I'd be curious how these new packs stack up.

At the end of the day, I'm sure more animals will die this season as a result of more high-tech camo choices.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cabelas has been a leader in overpriced crap for years!

(And I still shop there)

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Cabelas has been a leader in overpriced crap for years!

(And I still shop there)

Ha, so do I ! laugh

Actually, I've never really been disappointed in much of anything I've bought from there.

But I doubt I'll buy any of their high dollar clothes. If they weren't in all camo maybe.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've always been happy with Cabelas. It's served me well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're at least a year behind. wink Much of the Instinct line was out last year.

Now if they'd just make microtex clothing in solid colors...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer

I bought some microtex pants and every seed/burr that I come into contact with sticks to them which drives me crazy.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
You're at least a year behind. wink Much of the Instinct line was out last year.

Humm...I either overlooked this or else, didn't receive the catalog showcasing this line. And here I was thinking I was a premium customer with prestige.

+1 on the microtex clothing in solids. My biggest gripe with camo clothing is that it is camo.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No, Pointer is correct.

The "roll-out" was last summer 2014, and while marketed in the ads and on-line, it wasn't as intensive as this years campaign has been.

I think the line blended in (pun) with the rest of the "new" patterns last year, and frankly, they weren't flying off of the shelves from what I saw.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I buy most of my hunting gear 2nd hand from the local "pros" who are upgrading to the new fancier stuff....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't imagine anyone paying retail for Cabelas branded clothing, but I have gotten some decent stuff of theirs at a deep discount.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do they offer an affordable lightweight 2 man tent?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Do they offer an affordable lightweight 2 man tent?

Cabelas best seems to be the XPG Ultralite 2-man tent at 3# 12oz. The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 weighs 2# 13oz.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't imagine anyone paying retail for Cabelas branded clothing, but I have gotten some decent stuff of theirs at a deep discount.

^^^This^^^ Wait until they mark it down & move to their Bargain Cave. I've bought some SMOKIN deals online from the Bargain Cave!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^ Wait until they mark it down & move to their Bargain Cave. I've bought some SMOKIN deals online from the Bargain Cave!

Sound advice.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They also seem to carry a ton of Meindl boots. Mostly everything I've read on the campfire is that they leave a lot to be desired as far as durability is concerned, so who is buying them if they're crappy, folks back east that don't have to really hump the mountains? Just wondering!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I stopped in one of the Nebraska stores on the way to WY last year and tried several of the instinct items on. Every one went back on the shelf even though I was ready to buy. I really don't know how you can screw up clothing that bad. LOUD material and goofy patterns. Look at the crooked zipper on that 1/4 zip shirt for example. WTH were they thinking? I do really like the ZONZ backcountry pattern, though the ZONZ western is just [bleep]. The woodlands is pretty decent. Overall, the idea that a Chinese-made polyester t-shirt is worth $80-$90, or even $50 for that matter, just pisses me off.

RLTW
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
They also seem to carry a ton of Meindl boots. Mostly everything I've read on the campfire is that they leave a lot to be desired as far as durability is concerned, so who is buying them if they're crappy, folks back east that don't have to really hump the mountains? Just wondering!

Me. Just got a new pair a couple weeks ago.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Me also. Last pair of Meindl Perfects held up perfectly. Never leaked. The
heals finally wore down until I am thru the outer covering and into the internals. The support is finally starting to weaken. Somewhere around 4 years old and more than a few miles. Have other boots that caved in with much less use.

It looks like a pair of Alaskan hunters are going to do as well as the Perfects.

I'll buy another pair as soon as I'm down their way.

Last edited by battue; 07/29/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
They are the only Meindl distributor in the US. The boots are made to their specs by Meindl. I'm happy with the pair I have, but it's not the same as the Island Pro's had.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Look at the crooked zipper on that 1/4 zip shirt for example. WTH were they thinking?"

The thinking behind the offset zipper is to prevent it from rubbing on your adam's apple when fully zipped and/or wearing layers and having two or more zipper pulls there. I'm not saying it's good/bad or anything else just the reason it's made that way. I do think that is the most "offset" I've seen on any top though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.