Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anyone have any experience with one on kitchen knives? Sometimes I just don't want to drag out the stones. A couple quick passes on an electric would be very convenient if they work well.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-...-White/dp/B001CA5LZ6?tag=knifeistacom-20

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought one back in the 90's (chef's choice) thinking the same thing and I was not that crazy about it. I do have a buddy that likes them but he can't sharpen with stones and when he wants something sharp he gets me to do it.

As I recall I played with the thing a good bit and was never all that satisfied with the edges I got. It was never "a couple of quick passes". I suppose it is possible I expected too much because they marketed it as something that could put a "razor" edge on a knife. Never got one.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had one, chef's choice with three stones. worked well on skinny, inexpensive kitchen knives. Not so much on the thicker blades I use hunting.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am still pretty good with large bench stones, and I do love my Edge Pro. I use the Edge Pro for the customs I sell, but the Work Sharp for my personal filet and kitchen knives.
The Work Sharp has taken many who can not sharpen worth a hoot to a much higher sharpening ability. There are some learning curves as with anything.
You do not need the up scaled model.
Replacement belts can be had economically on Amazon, etc.
Assistance is readily available from other users and video instructions come with the units.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I am still pretty good with large bench stones, and I do love my Edge Pro. I use the Edge Pro for the customs I sell, but the Work Sharp for my personal filet and kitchen knives.
The Work Sharp has taken many who can not sharpen worth a hoot to a much higher sharpening ability. There are some learning curves as with anything.
Assistance is readily available from other users and video instructions come with the units.
Tim

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't need a Worksharp. I have a 2X72 Bader if I wanted to go that route. It's not that I can't sharpen knives. I can get them exceedingly sharp. I was just thinking about an electric for convenience. If the electric worked it would be handy on the counter to sharpen a kitchen knife in seconds without getting out my stones.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Chef's Choice you linked in your original post works great for cheap kitchen knives as stated. I've had one for a few years and it fits the bill. My good knives get the stone.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I personally do not sharpen knives on my 2x72, or my 1x42 or 4x36, or 2x60.
My suggestions come from having used about everything for sharpening at one time or another.
My suggestion was for something speedy, fairly easy to use and reasonably priced.
I have not used a "kitchen" knife sharpener that uses wheels that worked up to what I was after.
But, I have not tried everything out there.
With an Edge Pro and a Work Sharp and my bench stones, I am not in need of looking any further at this point in my life.

Hope the Chefs Choice works for what you want.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My original Work Sharp is excellent for kitchen, scissors, fillet and hunting knives.

My MRK and other customs get the Lansky treatment though.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Tim

Which stones with the edge pro?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear good things about the Edge Pro.

That's an inside joke. I've turned a couple hundred guys here onto them. I have every sharpening gidget and gadget known to man from Smith Carbides to Wilton and Bader grinders and everything in between...

The Edge Pro and Ben rock.

IME most electrics are dangerous, but if you really want one I recommend: http://www.catra.org//pages/products/sharpening/MODELEHONE.HTM

Last edited by Journeyman; 07/31/15.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
With the Edge Pro on and unsharpened blade I shape the cutting bevel with 120 grit at 24 degrees. Then follow with 220, 400 and 1000 and finish on a treated leather strop.
This gives a good working edge with a little tooth but right next to scary sharp.
jmho
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Using the edge pro brand stones? Or shaptons, etc.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Edge Pro stones.
I keep them clean with water with a little dish soap and an old toothbrush.
That lifts the crude out of the stones.
Other wise stones load up and you are just polishing.
I go thru a ton of 120 grit due to having .020" wide edge to start with on a new blade.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The swarf slurry from those 120 grits is amazing for loading a strop...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed on a middle to high end Chef's Choice for blades from Goodwill - wouldn't be without one. My mother had some kind of a power sharpening tool for kitchen knives that did a good job on lawnmower blades too.

I suppose there are modern tools that do a faster job and polishing the edge on suits a lot of professionals.

I use stones and diamonds and maybe a TV to avoid getting bored and wandering off with the job half done.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Anyone have any experience with one on kitchen knives? Sometimes I just don't want to drag out the stones. A couple quick passes on an electric would be very convenient if they work well.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-...-White/dp/B001CA5LZ6?tag=knifeistacom-20

I have exact model and it works great for my needs. I use it for all kitchen knives and also my Knives of Alaska drop point hunter. It's fast, easy and I get good results. It does work better with thinner blades.

It's nice to have. I can put a fresh sharp edge on a working knife in less than a minute and get busy. If I get into bone too much and dull the blade it's no big deal to run it through again and get back to work.

IMO, it's great for working knives.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"The swarf slurry from those 120 grits is amazing for loading a strop..."

There you go letting out more secrets.
I start with Semi Chrome on the strop and then the slurry off the 220 grit stone.

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.