Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Find out what water quality is and what problems, if any it has, then use proper filter to treat.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A lot depends on your intended use (drinking vs other uses).

Get the well in, have it developed (just pumped for a while nowadays) to get coarser sediment against the screen to help filter the fines.

Make sure the well is 'sanitized' with Cl bleach. PM if your well driller is not knowledgeable. #1 item afterward is to test for 'total coliform' bacteria. Other tests can be done separately.

Depending on flow and intended use, other advice can be proffered.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Problem with testing for total coliform is it changes more than all the rest... High water can bring the bad stuff to you at any time, no matter how the well has been testing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agreed, but It's the place to start and shallow wells should be tested more frequently.

Or, as an intermittent-use, seasonal well, it could just be disinfected prior to use at the start of the 'season' and if/when conditions change.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't these shallow wells freeze over winter? Or does "shallow" still mean below the frost line?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a lot of shallow wells on my place.

I use a screw in post hole digger that has a 1" thread steel pipe between the T handle and the auger bit. The auger bit looks like a coffee can with a slice in one side that shaves the dirt into it. When full pull it up and shake out the can. It pulls up a perfect plug of dirt. In Rock free dirt I can bore a hole 8 feet deep in 30-40 minutes comfortably. It will go as deep as you can turn the handle, and still pull up the plug of dirt. I think the deepest I have made is about 12 feet. Maybe a bit more. I had to use a ladder to get it out of the hole because the pipe was so long. The pipe also started to bend quite a bit.

Once the hole is done, my 8 foot holes are filled with water to about the 2 foot from the surface level. I drop in a 12V 500 gallon per hour bilge pump from a marine supply story. Then with a 4amp solar panel it will pump the water up from the hole into a storage tank. Bilge pumps don't have a lot of head pressure. So it cannot go much more then 6-7 feet deep unless you can use 120 VAC And get a Positive displacement pump down the hole or just a ordinary well pump.

It will pump water all day for free and fill an 800 gallon tank in a day or so. The pumps don't pump at rated flow when the head pressure gets to high( lifting the water that many feet up from the well reduces the volume.

So with about and hour of work, and a couple hundred bucks you can have all the water you want with this equipment. I irrigate my deer and turkey food plots with this exact system.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
JJHack Whats your watt output on your solar panel and 1 deep cycle battery? Any links to your panel you use? Thanks

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
erikj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pete, most are using an insulated pump house with a heater to keep things going. That said, I'm not seeing extreme temps.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought them at harbor freight. They are 23 volts out but I use a little regulater that gives me roughly 12v and 4 Amps. I x v = w

Should be about 50 watts

I bought the parallel connection kit so I have a pair connected together now. It does not increase the volts and I still use the 4 amp regulater. However the panels produce full power now with less then perfect direct sunshine.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
erik,

FWIW, we had a well on our place in Anchorage and got all of our water filtration goods at Alaska Pure Water Products on International Airport Road in Anchorage. They were really good folks to deal with and knowledgeable about water issues across the state.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

erikj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I'll give them a call.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
erikj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just a late report. We have water at about 5' down. Really happy with local contractor. Filtration to come, as well as a drain field. Thanks for the advise. Peace.

@jameslavish

This is inflation
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.