Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Same thoughts here. If I do see barrel wear at some point, I may change how I'm doing things, but so far, with several thousand rounds down most of the barrels I shoot cast through, I haven't seen anything. Doesn't mean it can't happen of course.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Seems to be kinda silly. I wanna make holes in paper and kill stuff, not have purdy boolits. Cast, size and lube and I have no leading in 44 Special, 44 Mag and 357 Mag. Gas checks go on the 358 Win.

It's nothing to do with "purdy", the color is an incidental by-product of the coating choice. I suppose being able to push them faster and eliminate leading may be silly, but I'll take it.

I killed stuff with mine last hunting season, and was pretty happy with them.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/27/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can push a 270 gr cast lead bullet out of a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt to 1200 fps and a 250 gr lead to 2150fps from a 358 Win with no leading and sub MOA groups. Ya, it's silly!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have heard of the matte black powder possibly having some abrasive properties. Easy enough to not use it.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
question on some of this, pertaining to bullets made for a gas check. Have you powder coated them before applying the gas check, and if so does that effect anything? Or, have you by using the powdercoating just left the gas check off on a bullet normally gas checked?
For what it's worth, not much, i have a couple of 250grain .45colt bullets i spray painted and then cooked for a while at the first of the week. That coating is darn hard on there, doesn't scratch. Under the heading of things i didn't think of, i noticed some comments about putting lube on bullets before sizing. I think they were talking mostly about those lee push through sizers. I have always used a lyman lubrizor and had never thought of doing this. I did use murphy's oil soap one time on a lee sizer for something, maybe a leeenfield bullet.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/27/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Same thoughts here. If I do see barrel wear at some point, I may change how I'm doing things, but so far, with several thousand rounds down most of the barrels I shoot cast through, I haven't seen anything. Doesn't mean it can't happen of course.

yondering: I went to powderbuy the pound and got a pound of your yellow/green suggested powder. Are there others you are using? Also, since these are going on normally gaschecked bullets are you using the gaschecks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Please tell me what "shot great" means.

Sorry for missing this yesterday.

With 43 grains of H4895, I was able to keep a 200 grain bullet in a 4 inch group at 100 yards. I was also able to produce some 2-shot groups inside an inch.

Not spectacular, I admit, but mind you, this was my first cast load for a rifle. The same rifle will do 1-2 inches at 100 yards with Rem 200 grain CL's. However, I had been expecting my first try at this to be minute-of-bushel-basket. The really cool thing for me was that I chron'd these loads at over 2200 fps, and got no sign of leading.

Here's more:

The Whelenizer Makeover

The reason I did all this was that the casting bug hit me over a year ago. I'd done my muzzleloader bullets for years, but I'd never tried centerfire stuff. I decided to focus on all my .35 cal firearms. I'd taken the Whelenizer out of the rotation, because it was just too much for just whitetail. Cast bullets seemed like a cool idea for re-purposing it.

As it's shaping up now, my 35 Whelen and 1894 Marlin will shoot powder coat. The pistols will shoot tumble-lubed. There are trade-offs. PC requires that I do two coat/baking cycles, and that eats up the better part of an hour. On the other hand, it takes overnight for Alox to dry. PC's can be sized an loaded as soon as they cool.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
question on some of this, pertaining to bullets made for a gas check. Have you powder coated them before applying the gas check, and if so does that effect anything? Or, have you by using the powdercoating just left the gas check off on a bullet normally gas checked?
For what it's worth, not much, i have a couple of 250grain .45colt bullets i spray painted and then cooked for a while at the first of the week. That coating is darn hard on there, doesn't scratch. Under the heading of things i didn't think of, i noticed some comments about putting lube on bullets before sizing. I think they were talking mostly about those lee push through sizers. I have always used a lyman lubrizor and had never thought of doing this. I did use murphy's oil soap one time on a lee sizer for something, maybe a leeenfield bullet.

GC bullets require GC. Apply your GC after the PC. That is the catechism. I found it holds the GC on a little better.

I tried to lube after PC, and found it was useless. The PC IS the lube.

Also remember that this is an experimenter's game. If lubing after PC works for you, there is nothing wrong in using it. This goes for everything here. There are no right answers, only right answers for you.

I have a buddy that got into PC a year before me, and refuses to try tumble coating. He got a Harbor Freight spray gun and uses HF powder paint and says it's the only way. I've heard others say HF paint sucks. The only reason why I tried the tumble process was that Yondering had such a great write up and gave very explicit instructions. I thought it was worth a try.

The only thing I can add to Yondering's method is that humidity changes the adhesion of the paint to the bullet. My last batch was done on a muggy day, and after the 2nd coat, I had voids. I just applied a 3rd coat and baked a 3rd time. In the future, I'll do my PC on dry days.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
shaman,
I am absolutely jealous of that shooting station you built.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's mostly all just pallet wood and scraps left over from siding the house. The cool thing is the shooting table's top lifts off so I can stuff it in the back of the truck and move it. There is nothing quite as luxurious and coming down to camp on a Friday night and eating your dinner at your shooting table, or waking up on a Saturday morning and doing a quick brick of 22 without leaving the front porch.

Crazy story: You have to remember that table is scrap, but it's all pretty solid-- oak skid runners and 2X6. The low bench I sit on (has the scales on it) is also built solidly. So one night back about 10 years ago, I come out to camp on Friday night and go to eat my dinner on the shooting table. No table. I'm fuming! Somebody has really boiled my bunny. What kind of fool would steal my shooting bench? I go to bed mad, I wake up mad. I get out on the porch the next morning and I'm sipping my coffee and still peeved.

Then I see a divot in the yard that kind of matches the table leg. Further out in the yard I see another. I put down my coffee mug and start following the line of divots. It ends up WAAAAAY out in the yard with the bench and the seat thrown up against a fence, but relatively unhurt.

Long story short: A small F0 tornado had come through mid-week. It had left a ball of tobacco twine and some cheap lawn chairs undisturbed but taken the heavy bench and seat out into the yard. A neighbor up the road had a shed deposited in his back yard. It was his across-the-road neighbor's. It was still in good shape and fit the guy's need, so he paid $100 for it and they left it where it was.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting stuff, indeed.

In my 45 years of cast bullet shooting, I only briefly danced around with high velocity loads (that being 2400+ fps in '06's). I was successful- with bullets cast of linotype, sized to fit the throat, high temp lube, and a barrel that was smooth as a baby's bottom. After a lot of jockeying I achieved accuracy comparable to factory stuff, at around 25-2600fps, 170 grain bullets. At that point I said "What's the point?" If I shoot at that, or higher, velocity for hunting loads, I'll just use jacketed bullets and be done with it. (Long range target shooting would be another matter- extra velocity + a cast bullet of good sectional density= a leg up over low vel stuff.) A hard as sin cast bullet at those velocities will fragment like a varmint bullet, if it expands at all. This powder coating deal on a softer cast bullet that allows high velocity would be a game changer in that regard. Therein lies its utility, IMO. Like I said earlier, all of my bullets make a trip through the lubrisizer to seat/crimp a gas check anyway, and to custom size it to fit the particular throat of whichever rifle it will be fired in. Giving the lube pump handle a little bump during the process is no big deal- especially if it means eliminating yet another step. I don't tumble lube at all (not that there's anything wrong with it), I just never got into it.

The thing is, 99.99% of my shooting is at inanimate targets at 200 yards or less. I seek accuracy, coupled with bullets made from cheap soft alloys at velocities compatible with them. For example, my favorite cast shooters are a couple of '06s, .22 Hornet, and a Model 54 Winchester .30-30 (although like I said I shoot cast in everything I own). Best loads in the .30s, with my favorite 170-190 grain bullets, fall in the 1600fps range. Ditto my favorite loads in the Hornet- 1600 fps, 55 grain bullet.

A wise man told me once all a bullet has to do is make it as far as the paper target. Light loads are waaay cheaper (cheap soft scrounged lead, stingy powder charges), accurate, and conducive to shooting large quantities per range session. The small groups on the paper are equally as satisfying as if made by bullets going 50% or more faster.

I also hunt deer with cast bullets. A soft 190 grain flat point driven at 1800fps out of an '06/.30-40/.30-30/.303 Savage/etc. kills with all the moxie of a factory 170 grain .30-30- which is to say pretty darn good (by Eastern Woodlands standards). Is it the ticket for cross canyon shots in the wide open areas of West? No, probably not. (But then again that may be why God gave us hind legs to get us closer...)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

yondering: I went to powderbuy the pound and got a pound of your yellow/green suggested powder. Are there others you are using? Also, since these are going on normally gaschecked bullets are you using the gaschecks?

I've settled on just that yellow/green for high velocity, and a cobalt blue for my subsonic loads (easy to tell them apart). Unfortunately I don't know who made the cobalt blue, a friend got it from a powder coating shop. I like it because the bullets hardly stick to each other at all when baking, but it doesn't handle the high velocity loads very well, the coating strips off.

I do still use gas checks on the gas check bullets, most of the time. The powder coating itself is not a substitute for gas checks, but if you're running a light load, like maybe a subsonic rifle load, you can leave the gas check off.

For normal rifle loads though, I powder coat, then apply the gas check. I've tried it the other way around, but haven't seen any benefit, and it's an extra step in the process since I still want to size after coating anyway.

With some bullets that have a large gas check shank, I've had trouble seating checks after powder coating. With the right bullets though, it hasn't been an issue.

Gnoahh, you've got the right idea about some of the benefits of powder coating. Another benefit, which you hit on as well, is that powder coated bullets aren't as fussy about being tuned to a specific rifle barrel. For example, I shoot an old H&G #20 (170gr) in 308, cast from wheel weights and powder coated, then size at .310". Loaded to 2400-2500 fps, these shoot great from several different semi-auto 308 rifles (PTR 91 and a couple different ARs) with good accuracy and zero leading, with as many rounds as you want before cleaning. They do tend to shoot more accurately if heat treated for hardness, but are acceptable for hunting as air-cooled.

Also, Gnoahh, if you prefer to lube a bullet after powder coating, it doesn't hurt anything, other than blow out more smoke/fouling, and that only seems to matter in a semi-auto or a suppressor.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/28/15.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I can push a 270 gr cast lead bullet out of a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt to 1200 fps and a 250 gr lead to 2150fps from a 358 Win with no leading and sub MOA groups. Ya, it's silly!

Which 250gr bullet are you using, and how do you like it? I use the Saeco 352, technically 245gr, in 35 Rem, and push it to 2150 as well from a 760 pump action. (not a safe lever gun load of course) I'll agree that particular load probably doesn't benefit as much from powder coating. The nice thing with the coating is that I can run the same bullet to 2700-2800 in the Whelen too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Several tidbits from the singleactions.com web site - the poster reported a 30% to 50% increase in accuracy over conventionally sized and lubed cast bullets. To me that is a significant improvement! Second, powder coated cast bullets could be used in Glock pistols with no ill effects...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i did some lee 170gr flat nose .308 bullets today, the mould is actually .309. I just put some bullets in a plastic drink cup and sprayed in some of the autozone vtech block engine paint and rolled them around. Put them in the oven and when they started to set up, pulled them and sprayed again. Actually that worked and they came out at what i expected at .311, or two over the .309.
I think i could probably run them as is, but tomorrow gonna put the gaschecks on them and see about bringing them back down to .309.
I tried some of the harbor freight red, and didn't like the results.
one issue is with these skinny 308 bullets and with the gas check design is needing to have a block or something to hold them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tried powder coating went back to the old way

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by CraigD
Second, powder coated cast bullets could be used in Glock pistols with no ill effects...

That is true, but a lot of us have been using lubed cast bullets without powder coating in Glocks for years. I do find I can push cast bullets harder/faster in my Glock barrels with powder coating though, and don't even bother to check them for leading anymore. I shoot a Mihec 125gr HP @ 1250 and a 105gr HP @ 1400 fps from my G19; both of those loads tended to lead a bit after a bunch of rounds with conventional lube regardless of bullet size, but leave the bore bright and shiny with powder coat.

RoninPhx, I guarantee you won't have great results with Harbor Freight powders. Especially with the shake-n-bake method. With good powder though, you don't need to stand them on end, just pile them up on a screen and bake them.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/28/15.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Several tidbits from the singleactions.com web site - the poster reported a 30% to 50% increase in accuracy over conventionally sized and lubed cast bullets. To me that is a significant improvement! Second, powder coated cast bullets could be used in Glock pistols with no ill effects...

Not surprising, as most jack up a perfectly good bullet or a moderately unbalanced one through the sizing or loading process, even with jacketed bullets.

The powdercoating is similar to what lubes, paper patching and jacketed bullets achieve: it limits friction directly applied to a low eutectic and generally soft metal alloy.

I think more people worry about lube (which explains a lot of concoctions) way before fit and balance, so its not surprising that powdercoating has so many fans.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Second, powder coated cast bullets could be used in Glock pistols with no ill effects...

That is true, but a lot of us have been using lubed cast bullets without powder coating in Glocks for years. I do find I can push cast bullets harder/faster in my Glock barrels with powder coating though, and don't even bother to check them for leading anymore. I shoot a Mihec 125gr HP @ 1250 and a 105gr HP @ 1400 fps from my G19; both of those loads tended to lead a bit after a bunch of rounds with conventional lube regardless of bullet size, but leave the bore bright and shiny with powder coat.

RoninPhx, I guarantee you won't have great results with Harbor Freight powders. Especially with the shake-n-bake method. With good powder though, you don't need to stand them on end, just pile them up on a screen and bake them.

I think you are right, the ones i did yesterday with HF red and shake and bake are going back into the melting pot. I think i am just going to wait for that green stuff to come in the mail.
I have about 50 of the .308 bullets i did with the vht spray paint. They seem to have a hard coating on them, but i think it is a costly way to do them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find this a very interesting thread and perhaps it should be down in the cast bullet section of the forum. I do have some questions and observations from what I had read so far.
1. It appears that using Harbor Freight PC and shaking and baking gives less than desirable results.
2. I heat treat some of my rifle bullets for strength and ability to shoot them faster. Doesn't heating the bullets again to set the PC and then allowing them to air cool just remove all the heat treatment I had done previously?
3. It appears that one should apply gas checks and do any sizing necessary AFTER applying PC.
4. Once bullets are coated they don't need to be stood on end in the oven to bake the PC.
5. Powder coating seems to allow bullets to be driven faster than typical lead alloy without leading the barrel often associated with "fast" lead bullets.
6. Powder coating seems to allow bullets to achieve better accuracy. Why would that be?

Rolly
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.