Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Want to try something really off-track? An old buddy of mine had arthritis so bad he couldn't get out of bed some mornings. When that happened, he would take 1 tablespoon of fruit pectin in water and be good for weeks!

Don't know why it worked or how it worked, but for him, it worked!

I always thought I might go ahead and give it a try if I ever get arthritis that severe - it seems to be a cheap, non-toxic and safe alternative treatment.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ice.

Well, it DOES fit the criteria of A. Natural & B. Anti-inflammatory

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of curiosity Smoke, do you drink a lot of diet drinks or otherwise use a significant amount of artificial sweeteners?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by snubbie
Ice.

It was intended a little TIC, but it is a very good adjunct to anything natural or synthetic oral meds.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ice.

It was intended a little TIC, but it is a very good adjunct to anything natural or synthetic oral meds.

No doubt. Hard to find ice when you're out on foot but I have dunked the ankle in cold creeks and it helps.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Out of curiosity Smoke, do you drink a lot of diet drinks or otherwise use a significant amount of artificial sweeteners?

Negative, none at all. My issue is bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in the ankle from repeated sprains going back 40 years. I've had doctors and orthotists tell me I have "the gnarliest ankle" they've seen. I'll need surgery some time soon, but not yet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Turmeric and salmon oil works well for me.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Turmeric and salmon oil works well for me.

Check on both.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Phil,
If I may.

The type of pain you are having-bone on bone, and perhaps post op shoulder, although that doesn't seem to be a declared issue-has little to no chance of responding to natural remedies. There just isn't enough juice in the orange.

Part of medicine today is flow charts. You have this, this and this you try that, that or that. You have this without this, but this, then you go to that and that. This by itself, then go straight to that. Simplified, but you are smart enough to get it.

Definitely late for the hunt, but have you gone to a pain therapist. Not one that necessarily will put you on the narcs, but one that works with the head. No you are not crazy and yes your pain is real. I get it.

Do you rate you pain? The standard is 1 to 10. Anything above 7 being a bitch and 9-10 being, I can't take it.

My back is bad and getting out of bed is 7. Then it becomes that step was do-able. Next one ok, keep going and finally it loosens up and we are down in the 4-5 area. Carrying a heavy pack for me is a mind game of "Ok, you can keep going, it ain't fun or easy, but there are more steps in there to take."

I hope you can find a natural that will help, because constant pain is a bitch. It just wears you down. Good luck, but I seriously doubt with the pain you have there are any out there. They are not meant to treat what I think you are experiencing. Headaches, minor or short term inflammation, slight non-major muscle pulls? Ok, perhaps. Chronic with significant discomfort? I've yet to come across anyone who has found a natural that makes the team.

Good luck on the upcoming hunt.

Addition: I've tried just about everyone mentioned. I dispense the poisons, but that doesn't mean I like to take them.

Last edited by battue; 07/30/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DMSO????

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Harry, I appreciate it. To be clear, I'm not trying to treat this with naturals alone. I've tried a bunch of prescrption strength NSAIDs including vioxx, relafen, ibuprofen, naproxen, and voltaren. Voltaren works the best. I have both pills and topical voltaren. The thing about all nsaids is they're hard on your digestive tract and I don't want to use them long term. The voltaren has an enteric coating so it won't dissolve until it gets to the intestine. There's a reason for that. I also have two kinds of custom orthotic foot beds and an Arizona brace for the ankle, which is the gold standard.

Natural anti inflammatories are just one more tool, and they do help.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I participated in a dietary study on polyphenols last summer and we weren't supposed to use any NSAID's. I've used ibuprofen for years but during the high polyphenol portion of the study (6 weeks high polyphenols & 6 weeks low polyphenols) I had very little joint pain and less overall soreness. Since the study I've continued to try and get lots of polyphenols in my diet e.g. nuts, cloves, cinnamon, dark chocolate, berries, coffee.

I can't guarantee that it wasn't a placebo effect and my evidence is anecdotal but since I've increased them in my diet I've gone from 3-5 pills daily to about 1 per week. Here's a couple of links if anyone's interested:
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v64/n3s/fig_tab/ejcn2010221t1.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21432698

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Battue,

From your posts, I gather you are a fan of good 'ole Aspirin.

I've been in a bunch of consistent pain for a long time. I'm in the gym 5 days a week for the last 30 years; I've worn my body pretty good.

I finally gave up "spot treating" myself with doses of Ibuprofen consistently and just started an Aleve every morning and every night along with vitamin supplements and such. It's worked pretty well.

I've never tried taking Aspirin on a consistent basis instead of the other NSAID'S. Should I give it a go?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rick,

I can't make that choice for you. Not avoiding your question, but I'm not a Physician and since again your situation is chronic there are considerations that need to be evaluated by one.

Alcohol usage, liver or kidney function, heart disease, blood pressure, bleeding issues. Just plain overall general health.

Aspirin works best for me, but I have the Doc do blood workup perhaps three times a year and usually only take one or two tables per day. If I'm going on a long days hunt, maybe two three times a day. Some other friends swear by Naprosyn, which is a different brand of Aleve.

Again aspirin works for me, but I wouldn't say it was twice as good as Motrin. I think it just works better and perhaps has a longer duration of action for myself

If you are healthy otherwise, I can't see why you can't give aspirin a short try and see if you notice any improvement over the others. As with any of them, take the smallest amount that gives relief. Aspirin can also mess with the stomach, but they make and enteric coated one if that is an issue.

Addition: Should have mentioned it, but Aspirin and Alive get their anti-inflammation action by slightly different mechanism of action. I don't understand it completely. Few do, but that is not the point. Perhaps I respond to the Aspirin pathway better or my condition is more responsive to it. Others may be the opposite.

Last edited by battue; 07/30/15.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stomatador, thanks for the link, I will check that out when I get home. Out of all the foods you listed as sources for polyphenols the only one I don't eat much of is cloves, just coincidence but I love all that stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This shows a high correlation between regular aspirin use and GI bleeding

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3086018/pdf/nihms274683.pdf

Dosage levels seem to be the key

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt aspirin probably has the highest risk and why the conclusion states one should use the lowest effective dose. Also one of the reasons why I didn't recommend that it was the best choice for you without a physician being involved. I didn't see where the study-read it quickly and may have missed it-where they indicated if they took it on an empty stomach or with food. I try to make sure I have eaten something relatively substantial.

Today was a relatively good day for me and I only took one. Even after a workout that included deadlifts, I didn't feel the need to take any additional. Had some aches, but monitored myself and said at this time no need to take another.

As an aside, having some aspirin close is always a good idea in case of a cardiac event. At that time it is aspirin you want and not the other NSAIDs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Batt,

I give my 16 year old Lab a 325 with her feedings twice daily. Can't be all bad

smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell, if I get to the equivalent age of a 16 year old Lab, I'm going to eat, drink, chew and take any damn thing I feel like. grin

Years ago a Doc told an 84year old mentor friend of both my father and myself to quit smoking. He in effect said, "Screw you."

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

301 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 30 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.