Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
So I was planning to hunt Brown Bear, Chamois, boar and roebuck in Romania this fall. My hunting friend from Sweden was to join me.

The guide in Romania has been great but did not get the bear quota this year he had hoped for so there is no bear tag for me this year. My partner is also trying to sell his home and wavering on if he will even come to hunt. The bear was the appeal to me and the chamois was the cherry on top.

For close enough to even money I could travel down to RSA for a week of solo PG hunting. A package like Cape Kudu, Impala, Common Springbuck, and Gemsbuck.

The vacation is approved for October. Where would you go? I have not hunted either.

I am currently overseas and will be borrowing a rifle in either location if that makes a difference to anyone.

Semper Fi

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd still go to Romania. Sounds like a sweet hunt, even without the bear.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Haverluk,
read this and if you need more info let me know.
My story is almost like yours.
I was at a backyard BBQ, the host was putting together a trip to South Africa (RSA) for a Plain's Game hunt..at that time the plan was 2 years ahead so all 6 guys could save money and get ready.,,,,,short story, when the 2 years ended, 5 had bailed out, I was on my own. So I went ahead, flew to Joburg changed planes and flew to Port Liz, hunted for a week with a great outfit. Their package deal was 5 animals for $4000....this included room and meals and drinks (Sundowners)...I would love to do it again.
They are Mayogi Safaris in the Eastern cape, checkout their website.
Anyway,,,that is my suggestion.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I emailed Mayogi. We will see if they can accommodate my time window.

One vote for each so far. Hmm... Maybe I should have asked what scope to use? wink

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither, I'd look at New Zealand or possibly Oz...

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Coincidentally I am taking the family on vacation to Oz and the South Island of NZ in a couple weeks.

I have booked up a short hunt outside of Dunedin for the last couple days of August.

Semper Fi

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Haverluk,
I can add a bit more info.
I also did not take a rifle with me....I wanted an easy time going thru customs etc....so, I used a rifle that the PH had in their gun safe, 30-06 with a Zeiss scope, not a problem. Also, there were 2 other hunters in camp the same week. One from England and a French hunter who after a week at Mayogi was going to meet his wife in CapeTown for another weeks vacation. It was cool to talk guns and hunting with those guys. I had a super time.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exporting trophies from Africa?

Don't forget.....as it is rarely mentioned

Budget $250 per animal for dip/pack/ship from SA to the states

Add in just over $400 more for a US broker to receive and then re-ship your crate

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done the Africa ranch hunt thing...and while fun and fairly challenging (I hunted common free breeding critters like kudu, impala, warthog: not the put and take animals) I still would rather go to Europe. Being that you already have Oct time off, I would stay in the N Hemisphere to take advantage of the rut that time of year. I think Red Deer should be roaring right around then in Europe. Roe deer are more of a late spring/summer type thing I think but you may still have opportunity.

I do enjoy the southern hemi hunts, especially in the spring when I'm bored around here as that's their fall timeframe.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An old world European hunt should be done by all at least once. Americans have this idea of Europeans being liberal, gun hating people. Europe has a long, rich gun history and some really great hunting. In my time there I received what could only be compared to Southern hospitality from the hunting community. Great people and a great time. I'd go to Romania.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it were I, It would be Africa plains game/varmint/bird hunt. Your choice was for a bear which isn't available. Do Romania when they have a bear tag.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I bought tickets to Bucharest.
Chamois
Roebuck
Red Stag
Wild Boar
and so on...

Slight possibility I might still get a bear tag.

Decided to go to Africa for PG next year.

Thanks for all advise.

Semper Fi

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you do plan on a trip to Africa next year make the trip to Namibia not RSA. Less money and free range animals. Of the two I think you will enjoy the Africa trip much more. Far more different animals to be seen, try keeping a written list of what you see if you do go to Namibia.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.