Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Mine is a custom with no waist belt with internal pockets and longer lash staps

I'm curious as to why you went with no waist belt?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kifaru Spike Camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner
Kifaru Spike Camp.

This

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Osprey makes some decent looking little packs.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm in the market for a 13-1500 cu inch day pack for use when deer hunting. I have an ancient Badlands Monster Fanny (~ 10-1100 cu in), Eberlestock X2 (1800 cu in), and a Badlands SuperDay (2200 cu in). The Badlands is what I've been using for a whitetail day pack but is is jammed full with all my necessary junk plus food and water. 14-1500 cu in or so is absolutely perfect.

I spent several hours at Bass Pro yesterday and tried on BP, Tenzing, and Badlands packs. Really like the Tenzing packs.

Here's my issue: I'm 5'8" and have a 33" inseam which means I have a really short torso ~ 15" from C7 to Illac Crest. I'm actually looking at women's packs but can't quite go the pink trim. My other issue with women's pack is that I have a 43" chest which means most women's packs are a little narrow in the shoulder department.

Any idears?

A little more cu in than 1500, but the Badlands Ultraday is my idea of perfection for a deer hunting day pack. It is 1800 cu in (about the same as your X2) but very light at 3lbs 3oz and compact. Good pockets, etc. The compression straps on it work great for holding extra clothes while you walk in (or bobcats while you walk out). Hypervent helps keep you cooler walking in. I have a short torso and it works well for me. Been using one for 4 or 5 years now and even though I've got more expensive packs I can't find one I like better.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have one headed to me as of yesterday. I'll check it out. I didn't know it had an internal frame - my SuperDay does not and really sucks at carrying things out. It the SD worked better at carrying out head/hide/horns, I'd keep it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Ted

I checked out the Lost River and liked the idea alot. I called them yesterday and got their VM. I'll try again today. Thanks.

Keep trying as they are a very very small company

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Mine is a custom with no waist belt with internal pockets and longer lash staps

I'm curious as to why you went with no waist belt?

I only use a waist belt on a pack frame.....I have to use for one with a true day pack

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I only use a waist belt on a pack frame.....I have to use for one with a true day pack

My mistake, you threw me off when you said it would haul a whole elk quarter.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have one headed to me as of yesterday. I'll check it out. I didn't know it had an internal frame - my SuperDay does not and really sucks at carrying things out. It the SD worked better at carrying out head/hide/horns, I'd keep it.

The internal frame is really nice for what it is. Adds stiffness, but it's not a "load it up" frame. I've carried bobcats and coyotes out strapped on with the compression straps. It should handle horns and hide but it's not a true hauler...just a day pack.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is what I understood from Badlands as well. For bigger game (elk, bears), my MO is basically shoot something, quarter it, hang in trees, take out an easy load on the way to my packframe.

For remote deer, I'm working it out. I've shot a few deer lately 1+ miles from any road and know I don't want to drag any more deer on bare ground that far......

I don't really want to carry my Eberlestock or packframe on my backpack into my camp site. Likewise, I really don't want to use my 4000 cu in backpack as a daypack. I've looked a lashing my backpack to my packframe and carry it in that way but it seems really clunky when I tried it. That still leaves me short for a daypack.

So, I'm thinking a lighter daypack, strapped to my backpack and capable of bringing out head/hide or head/backstraps, make a run to the truck for a packframe/Eberlestock. Could be a long walk but I'm considering all options at this point. Or hire a Sherpa.

At the end of the day, I need a pack ~ 13-1500 cu in anyway for my normal day hunting duties.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use a BL 2200 as my deer / elk hunting pack.

My cuz sewed me up some quarter bags slightly larger than a pillow case which work great for deer quarters. I quarter my deer ... 4 bags. I peel the rib meat, heat, liver, and backstraps off into a 5th bag. Leave the spine, pelvis, and rib cage behind. Those 5 bags fit into a single elk quarter bag, lash it with sash cord into a "meat roll", and lash that to the BL pack using the meat shelf. Works.

It's bigger than I'd normally use for a day pack if I'm not expecting to carry meat. When I'm just out bumming around I use a Badlands Pursuit. Lack of a waist band means it doesn't interfere with my holstered revolver which I carry strong-side.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not go to a Paradox Evo. The frame with no extensions is short enough to permit free movement, and the frame articulates well enough to be comfortable. By adding the frame extensions in the field with a critter down, it can haul a lot of weight. This pack seems to serve both purposes well without needing to carry two packs in with you for remote hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner
Kifaru Spike Camp.

I have this pack. It works great.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

My mistake, you threw me off when you said it would haul a whole elk quarter.

It will....and has!!!

The pack comes with a system that is simply awsome for a first load out

Last edited by tedthorn; 07/29/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at the Wilderness Pack Specialty's Muley. I quit using the Super Day after I got it. I also have the Compact frame which it clips right on, if I'm far enough back in and may need to pack meat etc. Or buy the Lite Frame Combo pack

Last edited by baltz526; 07/29/15.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
baltz - That looks interesting. I wish the website had better pics of the pack, pockets, front, side, etc. I'll give them a ring today.

Thank you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Likewise, I really don't want to use my 4000 cu in backpack as a daypack.

That's how I used to think. But there are plenty of packs that have short frames and cinch down enough with compression straps so that they're not too bulky or too tall to use as a day pack. Kifaru Longhunter is one. The good thing about using your backpack as a day pack is you're never lacking for space and there is no trip back to camp to get the big pack. Plus, you don't have the extra piece of gear to pack in.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm in a similar position. Have you looked at the Sitka Ascent 12? It's a new model that was just released this year. For my needs, it looks about perfect, and I'll be picking on up within a few days

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did have a look at them. The size and price is right. My only concern is a lack of compartments. I called and left them a message a couple days ago. I'll follow up today.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

495 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 222ND, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.