Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

One day the magazine tube fell out of the receiver. Not sure about trap or skeet, but on the SC circuit 1100/1187's are as common as hens teeth. [/quote]

I had a mag tube come off too, sent it back to Remington and they fixed for for free.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've replaced the factory tubes on SuperX 1's with steel tubes. They have threads and you just lock tight the new one in. Can't remember what the deal was with Remington's. I just wrote it off

Snapped a trigger pin on a SuperX 1 also. Also had a rib come off when they first came out. The factory rep met me at the gun club with a new barrel. Times have changed.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington mag tubes are silver solderer on.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
In my experience, the 11-87 is not nearly as reliable as the 1100. Especially when shooting standard loads, like dove and quail loads.

And that is putting it nicely especially when you are talking about the "Old" 1100. Just the same, my partner used to shoot 1100s back in the day, our waterfowl season runs from early Sept to early March and we shoot A LOT. He would sell his off at the end of every season and buy a new one for the next year. After a couple of times he just got smart and moved up to a SX2 then an an Xtrema II and has never looked back

Last edited by FoxtonGundogs; 07/27/15.

BORN to HUNT
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've replaced the factory tubes on SuperX 1's with steel tubes. They have threads and you just lock tight the new one in. Can't remember what the deal was with Remington's. I just wrote it off

Snapped a trigger pin on a SuperX 1 also. Also had a rib come off when they first came out. The factory rep met me at the gun club with a new barrel. Times have changed.

Battue,

I think you meant ..you replaced the Super X steel magazine tubes with the stainless magazine tubes. wink I did the same on my Super X's. I tried a thin layer of oil on the stainless mag tube to prevent carbon build up. The gun would not function with the oil ( unlike the Rem 1100)...so continued running them dry.

Doc

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 07/28/15.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Makes sense, because as you know the original factory tube would rust fairly easily.

I've used a light coat of oil on the stainless replacements and they still worked.

Winchester used to make a 12Ga shell called the Feather. I think it was 980FPS. The Super-X 1 would even work them. The bolt was moving slow, but it still would feed the next round.

Last edited by battue; 07/28/15.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Makes sense, because as you know the original factory tube would rust fairly easily.

I've used a light coat of oil on the stainless replacements and they still worked.

Winchester used to make a 12Ga shell called the Feather. I think it was 980FPS. The Super-X 1 would even work them. The bolt was moving slow, but it still would feed the next round.

The short stroke gas system designed into the Super X enabled the shotgun to feed and eject about anything....including 3/4 oz 12 gauge reloads.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The main reason 1100/1187 shell latches come un-staked, is from pushing the trigger plate pins out from the wrong direction.

The shell latch is on the ejection port side of a right handed 1100/1187. If you push the pins out from the solid side of the receiver the pins and any tool you are pushing with will push the latch into the slot in the receiver and no damage is done.

If you push the pins out from the ejection port side, the pins and tool will tend to push the latch away of its slot. Eventually this will cause enough wear to the staking that the shell latch will come loose.

Michael

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Makes sense, but you could have removed that trigger pin with a dull toothpick. I saw the very small amount the edge was peened over the bar.

With recoil and the subsequent jarring, it was going to wear loose no matter which way the pin was pushed over. Sloppy workmanship was the primary cause.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Bought that 11-87 on top in 1987!!! Was the first at the gun shop to buy one. He got 24 in with his first order. I got to pick the best trigger pull out of all 24.

Was my skeet gun. No telling how many rounds have been thru it. Like it so much I hunted everything with it - Quail, doves, ducks, squirrel, geese and turkey. Only problem was hunting cold -20 degree with that original silver o-ring - It would become brittle in the cold and fail. Rem fixed it. Since I've shot out 2 sets of piston rings - Just put the 3rd set in last year.

Its chambered for 2-3/4 and 3" shells. Only thing it doesn't like is those high velocity 7/8 oz loads. Not a problem for me as it shoots all my 1oz reloads fine.

Last edited by RaySendero; 07/30/15.

Ray
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One thing I've found out over the years is that 11-87 owners either love their guns, or hate 'em.....there ain't no inbetween!
My friend has an 11-87 that he uses mostly for waterfowl; over the past several years he has had issues with jamming, parts falling off/out of the gun, etc. I will say that if he bothered to clean the gun more frequently (like, ever!) he might not have some of the issues he does....but it ain't my gun.
I have been very pleased with the 1100 I bought used several years back....so much so that I bought a rifled slug barrel and a 26" barrel with IC choke to go on the gun.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16gauge
One thing I've found out over the years is that 11-87 owners either love their guns, or hate 'em.....there ain't no inbetween!

Agreed, seems the guys that hate them either dont know how to maintain them or are too lazy.

The guys that take care of them have no issues, weird!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a camo 11-87 SP.
Love the thing. Fits me to a T, and runs like a raped ape.
Gotta keep it clean, and no lube in the mag tube.

I really would like to find a factory 21" mossy oak camo barrel for it. I know somewhere out there, someone took one off, and put a different barrel on, and the 21"er, is just laying somewhere, unused.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.