Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good day, I have read on one of the benchrest forums that guys have experienced a decrease in accuracy when the inside of their barrels were blued.

Have any of you guys experienced this? Most guys I have seen around here do not plug barrels when they hot blue rifles and I found it interesting when I read about the accuracy problems guys have experienced.

Pieter

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even in the benchrest circles, very, very few shooters go to the time and expense of conducting scientifically meaningful studies to determine of their pet theories prove out or not.

Unless someone has had at least 10 blued barrels and 10 unblued barrels from the same maker all chambered with the same reamer shot from the same return to battery action in an underground tunnel with the same ammo at least 10 10 shot groups from each barrel with the group sizes compared for mean, median, and mode then I'll take such comments as a nice theory albeit unproven. Even then, it could just show that one type of barrel prefers one type of ammunition over another.

All that aside, I thought most br shooter use stainless barrels?

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The oxide film that hot blue makes is so thin that it is difficult to measure even in a top notch metrology lab. I have never heard of it affecting accuracy in 50 yrs in the gunsmithing hobby.

Benchrest shooters are no different than many other segments of the shooting hobby in that they are ready to believe almost anything suggested by so-called experts even if it might violate physical laws. They are especially susceptible to anything that might excuse worse than average groups. In other words, forgetaboutit.

RAN

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This shouldn't happen unless the bluing salt is causing rust and pitting inside the barrel .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have been a BR shooter since 1985. We use 99.9% SS barrels. I have used a few CM barrels that barrel makers furnished me to test. Bluing hurts nothing. BR shooters will look for any excuse for a bad shooting day.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAN

Benchrest shooters are no different than many other segments of the shooting hobby in that they are ready to believe almost anything suggested by so-called experts even if it might violate physical laws. They are especially susceptible to anything that might excuse worse than average groups. In other words, forgetaboutit.

RAN

Benchrest shooter don't believe much of anything until they see it proven to them. With that said they will go to the ends of the earth trying every damned idea or thing that comes along in an effort to gain an advantage.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BR shooters will believe anything they are told if it comes from a source they want to believe.
I have seen no evidence to indicate that bluing has any adverse effect. I have shot quite few CM match barrels which were blued and they were among my most accurate rifles. Having said this, if I test a CM barrel, in the white, and it shoots exceptionally well, I am too much a coward to blue it!
As Butch pointed out, it is rare to see any serious BR shooter using a CM barrel. Barrelmakers make their select match barrels with SS because they can more easilt produce a very good barrel.
I used one CM barrel which was competitive but that was over thirty-five years ago and competitive then and now are different animals. Aggregates in the mid-2's were just fine in the mid-to-late seventies. Today, the same agg won't make ya puke but it probably won't win you much either. GD

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ask Frank Green of Bartlein Barrels. He uses more CM than SS on his match barrels.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Many years ago when I worked in the Browning Arms Co. gunsmithing shop we experimented with blued vs. unblued rifle bores and found no difference in accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a rifle blued and when it came back I couldn't quit getting the rust out of the bore.
Never did really understand what happened...

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bluing (rust) process actually helps eliminate micro sized imperfections. It's used by many to refine or smooth out bullet molds. Smoother surface on the slugs and they drop from the mold more easily than from untreated surfaces.

1Minute
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies guys. I just found it interesting that when I read about this as have never seen guys around here plugging bores.

Thanks

Pieter

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would think the polishing process would be the culprit. It's real easy to ding up the crown if one is not paying attention to what he is doing.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by m77
Thanks for the replies guys. I just found it interesting that when I read about this as have never seen guys around here plugging bores.

Thanks

Pieter

Pieter,
Why would they need to do that?

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by m77

Thanks

Pieter

Pieter,
Why would they need to do that?

Butch, in the same discussion that mentioned the accuracy problems, the guys mentioned plugging bores to avoid bluing the inside of the barrel. But I guess it is pretty clear that there is no need for that.

Pieter

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
you should never plug the bore on a gun that is going to be blued (with the hot salts method).
The solution is near 300 degrees and the plugged barrels will build up pressure and spew the caustic and very hot chemicals everywhere

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT; 08/12/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, for those of us that are required (by any number of circumstances) to forego bluing the actual working surfaces of high $$$ Chro-mo barrels, I'd have to inquire as to:

A.) Why we've all been so successful at "plugging" these barrels before they ride in the salts ?

B.) Whether or not you have any CLUE as to how we do this PROPERLY,e.g. the nuts and bolts of the operation ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I got a Douglas factory long chambered 260 barrel that was factory blued. They blued the bore too.

That rifle fouled fast. To break it in, I have to wear the bluing out of the bore. I can't wear it off when it is covered with Copper.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Properly plugging a barrel, prior to hot bluing takes a little care, and attention.

It's not all that complicated, and requires simple commonly available, off the shelf materials.

The gear used is not the sort that flies to the edge of the known universe, or brain surgery.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Typical thread, ain't nobody changed their mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

549 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,215
Posts18,447,345
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.