Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
When I left about a week ago, there were nearly 120 fires burning in Saskatchewan.

I'm trying to keep up with the situation there but I can't seem to find a good site for fire information.

Anyone know of a website that has current fires and status for Saskatchewan?

Anyone know if things are getting better? Heard it's raining or supposed to rain.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tarkio;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully this finds you well.

The province where I grew up in was Saskatchewan and it appears that it and the province where we've lived for the last 31 years now are in a dead heat this year for most/worst fires - pun intended.

Here looks to be a pretty decent Saskatchewan fire site from their MOE.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=7889a8b5-cf6b-4597-bb02-b70b15e97903

One needs to dig around a wee bit for maps and current fire listings, but it's kept pretty current by the look of it.

Hope that helps sir. All the best to you this summer - may the fires stay away from your home territory.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
HI Tarkio
looks like our friend Dwayne sent you a link to a good website, I have nothing to add on that.
But I live just south of the affected region, and I'm glad to report that we have had rain recently. My son is a firefighter based out of Denare Beach and has spent the last three weeks near LaRonge, but we've had poor communications since he's been really busy, ( 16 hr days, 2 weeks on 4 days off rotation) but I hear from other sources that things have finally been cooling down. Montreal Lake communities 1200 residents are moving back home after the evacuation. Missinipe is getting rain the last couple days. The 1000 troops from the Canadian armed forces are helping a lot, as are the planes and professionals from several other provinces and a couple US states, Thanks to all!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
castnblast;
Good morning to you sir, I'm glad to read that you folks are finally making some headway and it's cooled a wee bit anyway.

While it's good to see your son's employment is "secure" and he'll be banking some good coin, it must no doubt make for conflicted emotions as a parent. I'm happy to read he's safe for sure.

We just returned from two weeks on the Sunshine Coast and our eldest daughter is moving - today in fact - to Victoria. Both areas of our coast are just ridiculously dry. It was really weird seeing the dead grass everywhere for instance and the usually full streams are lower than early fall levels.

Anyway we had it finally cool a wee bit here too and the news last night indicated we were finally under 200 wildfires and less than 10 new ones were started yesterday - so that's progress and we'll take it.

Finally I'll add my thanks to all the professional fire fighters who've been on the line this interesting fire year. We've brought in over 100 from Ontario and some from Australia too so for sure we're stretched thinner than thin already.

Thanks again for the update sir and all the best to you good folks - especially your son - this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just spoke to my son this afternoon, fist time in a month. He is supervising logistics and plans for more than 30 wildfires and hundreds of firefighters in the LaRonge district, and has been doing so for more than two months. Very few days off to sleep and re-connect with the world outside. We have had torrential rains in the southern half of the province today, but so far, just showers in the forest region. It's still a crisis. Prayers and best wishes appreciated for all the fire fighting crews and evacuated residents.

Last edited by castnblast; 07/28/15.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are any fires impacting travel on the Cassiar?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
All of Northern BC is in extreme fire danger and many fires are burning. I am returning to my summer cabin at Burns Lake in a few days, and will then be able to report from first hand knowledge about the neighbourhood of the Stewart-Cassiar highway. I expect that it may have some hot spots.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks C'n'B.

Got someone driving through the next few days. I had sent them some links to be looking ahead.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Are any fires impacting travel on the Cassiar?

Update: there were no problems with smoke nor actual fires along the Cassiar.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.