Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

There's a lot to be said for a private, makeshift range out in a farmers field.

What I wouldn't give to have that privilege.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

There's a lot to be said for a private, makeshift range out in a farmers field.

15 minutes and 30 minutes from my house.....each place is lonely

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dave_in_WV,

I had a friend who wanted to chronograph his loads. I set up a target, put the chronograph below the target a few feet out in front of him. Then I told him, "Ignore the chronograph and aim at the target. You won't have a problem." I turned back to my pickup for something while he fired. He said, "Whoops." I turned around to see the skyscreen wire on the second hanging with no skyscreen.

How does that happen? He had to hit about two feet low on the target to get the "eye".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JPro
"All bullets rise before they drop."

That one will inevitably follow.....

Had one guy tell me his .280 shot absolutely flat to 200 yards, then it began to rise.....

You think they don't? That's why I use one!

I thought only a 270 could do that...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I gladly contribute 20 hours per year of range work to keep my gate key to access the range at hours closed to the public.

Yes. That's a Godsend.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had some folks walk into our covered bench area. All were holding rifles, no cases. As they were fooling around getting set up, one of them sent a round through the ceiling. Had the damn thing hot when they walked in. They left, or I was going to. mtmuley

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There was a guy beside me one day trying to sight in his rifle at 100 meters, he was inexperienced and hanging on every word of the two experienced guys looking over his shoulder. He fired shot after shot, cranking the scope in between shots because the two guys kept telling him he was way over the target. I started paying attention once they ran out of scope adjustment and started talking about the scope must be messed up. They tried a couple more shots and I could see the bullet hitting the ground part way down and hitting high on the berm behind. I stopped them and told them what was happening and offered to let them use my bench because there was a 20m target they could get boresighted on. They looked at me like I was a complete moron and kept shooting. I think they ran out of ammo then left. Had to be 40-50 rnds into it.

Another time the situation was similar only the inexperienced shooter was shooting factory and reloaded ammo but was getting a lot of misfires with the reloaded ammo. The experienced guy helping him looked the cases over and told him he had "a bad batch of primers, it happens sometimes". I politely got involved and found out it was new unfired brass and the pin strike was almost non existent. I told him it was more likely that his new cases were a little short for his chamber and a couple things he could do about it. Again I was looked at like I was a moron and the experienced guy turned back to the shooter and said "no, you got bad primers".

I know I'm not the most knowledgable guy around, but I am smart enough to know there are a lot of things to learn and keep learning. Some people don't seem to want help or mabye they don't trust others.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's always fun to take my brother in law to the range. One time he hands me an almost straight walled case and asks "why does my brass look like this?" I check the head stamp and it reads 35 REM then I look at his H&R Handi rifle and it reads 35 Whelen! I tell him the problem and his response is "They aren't the same thing?"

Later that year we go to the range again. I figure everyone makes mistakes and he learned his lesson. He now owns a Ruger #1 in in 270 Weatherby. After 2 misfires his rifle finally goes bang but doesn't sound right. It won't extract the case and he asks for a little help over here. I have a little flat blade screw driver handy and dig the case out. It's a .270 Winchester! How it fired in the rifle I'll never know. The primer was gone before I started digging it out. After telling him what he's done AGAIN he stated he thought a .270 was a .270 and this brand was a lot more affordable than that Weatherby stuff! cry

He asks me recently about getting into reloading. I told him maybe we should hold off for awhile wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I watched a fat tubolard kind of guy roll into the parking lot in a cloud of dust, pop the trunk of the Caddy, wrestle out a big piece of cardboard like off of a refrigerator box- and a Winchester 94, uncased. He scribbled a 2" bullseye onto the cardboard, set it up at 25 yards, and levered three quick shots at it (the gun was obviously in a loaded state when he fished it out of the trunk). Those bullet holes were all over the cardboard with the closest one being about a foot away from the "bullseye". "That's good enough for me" he announced. He tossed the gun directly into the trunk, left the "target" behind, and peeled that Caddy out of the parking lot in another cloud of dust. Total elapsed time: not much more than it took you to read this. I was gobsmacked. I wish he had hung around long enough for me to find out exactly where he planned on hunting...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/29/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
These examples are exactly why I built this one....a long time ago...all the way back to 1500 yards! 500 yards from my bedroom!

[Linked Image]Bench1 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman; 07/29/15.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my all time favorite stories. Fellow Marine and I are at a public range doing some basic load testing and this guy sits down at the bench next to me. Being a gun guy I check out what he is shooting. Some kind of bullpup rifle but on top is one of those Simmons Aetec scopes and the crazy thing is the turrets are turned at 45 degrees (like a V). Before I could stop myself I asked him why he has his scope turned that way.

Well ya see the human eye when it sees that up and down line just tells the trigger finger to yank the trigger without paying attention to the sideways one. I knew then that I should have given my friend the same speech that God gave to Lot at Sodom - run away as fast as you can and don't look back! He continues, "but with the crosshairs turned like an X it forces your eye to really focus on where the middle of the sight is.

I say gotcha, roll my eyes and get ready. He begins sight in by doing double taps at the 100 yard target. His wife is watching through binos: "yer still low." Bang bang, pause, bang bang. "Nope still too low." He starts twisting the turrets and then I see him take the magazine out to reload. 9 mms. He was shooting a friggin 9 mm bullpup with a 2.5-10x44 scope turned 45 degrees from vertical doing double taps to sight in and killing the dirt at 60 yards or so!!!!! Needless to say I tested new loads elsewhere after that!!

Last edited by philgood80; 07/29/15.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He may have been clueless, but he didn't sound unsafe .... comedy is it's own stress reliever laugh

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've offered to buy guns from some of these very knowledgeable gun guys. Best to wait until their buddy is giving jabs. Pride can be an interesting motivator.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sharpsman -dam' that's nice. Do you use sheep or goats to keep the grass down? Jus kidding...Homesteader

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
During "Sight In Days", noticed a guy was struggling at a shooting bench so went to see what was wrong.
He was shooting a bolt in 280 Rem. He had 270, 280 and '06 ammo on the bench. When asked what the .... he was trying to do, he said--" I wanted to try some different loads, but this 30-06 case is stuck." When I questioned why he had three different calibers of ammo, he said "You know all three are made from 30-06 brass and he wanted to try some different weight bullets."
Gave him his money back and sent him home.

OK WOW

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HaYen
I've been shooting since I was 12. Did some hunting as a kid with my uncles but never actually did it on my own until after college and career got started (I hate that fact about my life). I'm still learning something new about shooting, hunting, and reloading all the time. I've learned from folks like Mathman, Ingwe, BullDog, and many many many others here on the fire.

Till this day, the only bird hunting I've done is turkey and I've only ever hunted within these 50 states. There still so much I want to learn and do before ... well you know ...

Have a great day!!!

This is how I feel. The day I quit learning and exploring is the day they put me in the ground. I know a little about archery and that is my only claim to fame. But even after shooting long guns and pistol for years (45) I cannot hold a candle to these guys. I think I have proven that with some of my posts.

So I say it again, thanks for all of the help and patience.

Last edited by elkhunter130; 07/30/15.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
"All bullets rise before they drop."

That one will inevitably follow.....

Heard that one in a Sportsman's Whorehouse seminar on reloading from the INSTRUCTOR. Couldn't help it I had to speak up and was supported by 3-4 others. Not sure we convinced him though.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Now you know why Im such a grumpy old ass. 22 years behind the gun counter dealing with these hydrocephalic morons will make you cynical....

Now, now ingwe, I'm sure there were a few microcephalic morons in there. laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used to shoot at public ranges quite a bit. One my favorites was a guy getting ready for deer season with a Model 70 375 H&H using factory DG ammo. Poor guy, his flinch was so bad he was just barely able to keep all the shots on the pie plate at 25 yrds! To top it off, he was scrubbing the pi$$ out of the bore with a brush after every shot "cause that's what the benchrest shooters do"

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Shodd
My 4 year old daughter at the range

(Man asks, is is clear to go downrange?

4 year old daughters reply......its not clear because you have a bullet ready to shoot and your bolt is not open.)

Man ejects live round and leaves bolt open

Daughter......OK, its clear now!

This was 4 years ago as my daughter is now approaching 9 years of age in September.

Shod

THAT is superb!

Retired cat herder.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.