Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hit the range today with the R1 blued base model and 200 rounds of reloaded ammo.

The loads were 100 ea 230gr RN plated/6.0gr of CFE pistol/CCI330 primers/mixed brass and 100ea 200gr RNFP lead/6.0gr of Universal/WLP primers/mixed brass.

I only punched the bore and put some oil on the barrel where it is in the bushing. The pistol was oiled properly. I broke down the factory magazines, cleaned them and treated them with Eezox, and wiped them down this morning.

All shots were fired at 10 yards. The temp was around 90º and there was a slight breeze at times (not often). The trigger is decent for a box stock base model 1911. Not too heavy and no creep. For me there's no reason to change it. YMMV

I fired 40 rounds of the plated FMJ ammo with no problems. I switched to the lead bullets and after shooting a few magazines one started giving me jams. (I've got two McCormick mags on the way) I got one stove pipe with the lead bullets. I shoot all lead bullets before changing back to the FMJ load. I got one failure to feed with one magazine and started tapping the magazine spines on the bench before shooting and there were no more jams.

Clean up was easy and the barrel cleaned up quick and easy. I used a bronze bore brush and Simple Green. I sprayed it out with brake cleaner and ran a patch and it came out clean. Simple Green cut the crud inside the slide and frame well. I spayed it off with brake cleaner. I pulled the firing pin and extractor and cleaned them and their respective places in the slide. I lightly oiled the tunnels and parts. The slide was rubbing a spot on the inside of the frame dust cover. I polished that area inside the dist cover that was rubbing and polished the feed ramp and chamber throat to a mirror finish.

7 round RNFP standing and bent over with my elbows rested. The bench is table height. Note: I used the front sight dot as the point of aim like a SIG. I watched a video on Youtube testing the R1 and they got a 2" low impact.
[Linked Image]

The same target and 7 more shots unrested.
[Linked Image]

7 shots plated FMJ standing bent over with elbows on the bench. I pulled the bullseye hit.
[Linked Image]

After I shot these strings I changed my grip and did better. I got a more consistent point of impact.

I am pleased with my purchase and need to work on my shooting. Obviously!!!

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 07/29/15.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good deal, Dave. Like others have mentioned, when you get a chance, grab some wilson mags. Other than that, you MAY be ready for a slight drift of your rear sight.

Once you get settled, you have a fine piece of iron there.

Congratulations.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I looked for a small (very small) allen wrench to unlock the rear sight before I hit the range if I needed a sight adjustment but don't have one small enough. I think High Brass is smiling down on me with this one! grin

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good shooting. I've heard good things about those Remingtons. Thanks for the post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EFW won one of those. Glad it is working out for you. I am beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a bad 1911? I mean even the Norenco's and cheaper Phillippine models garner praise.

I don't shoot often enough so it always takes a few rounds for me to get grip and stance and all back into alignment - then groups shrink up.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ps- no pics of the gun? You planning on any mods? Grips or such?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had posted a picture in another post. I may put thinner double diamond grips on it. I bought two McCormick magazines for it and have 6 McCormick follower and spring sets coming for the factory magazines. Other than that I don't have any plans for mods. I have a SIG P220 for carry. I did work on the extractor a bit (polishing and a slight bevel) and polished the feed ramp and throat.

[video:youtube][Linked Image][/video]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.