Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
jlevines.com
holding a auction sunday, for a colt revolver with excellent documentation attribution the gun to bat masterson. He evidently bought the gun directly from the company.
would appear to have I think ivory grips. they are anticipating for the 1882 gun a price range of $80000 to 120000.
I need a small loan.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rumor has it, Masterson was the first to request a 4 5/8" from the Colt factory, thus creating the trend.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I need a small loan.

laugh laugh laugh

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Rumor has it, Masterson was the first to request a 4 5/8" from the Colt factory, thus creating the trend.

I read "someplace or other" that one of the Colt's he ordered had a 4" barrel and ejector rod assembly shortened to match. I don't remember where exactly I'd read that, but I thought it was quite odd at the time. I mean, why bother with 5/8" difference over a factory option?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Late in life, when sports writing didn't pay well, he'd go to a store and buy a used Colt and sell it as a gun he carried in the hey-day. There are lots of Bat Masterson Colts in private collections.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Late in life, when sports writing didn't pay well, he'd go to a store and buy a used Colt and sell it as a gun he carried in the hey-day. There are lots of Bat Masterson Colts in private collections.

You're correct, Dan. I've read accounts where Masterson bought a bunch of old Colts at pawn shops for a couple bucks each.

By the way, boys and girls, the length of the barrel on the Colt's Single Action Frontier Model was/is 4¾" , not 4 5/8".

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

You're correct, Dan. I've read accounts where Masterson bought a bunch of old Colts at pawn shops for a couple bucks each.

By the way, boys and girls, the length of the barrel on the Colt's Single Action Frontier Model was/is 4¾" , not 4 5/8".

L.W.

true but if they have documentation from one he ordered personally from the factory the dates will tell if its one he truly likely used.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've seen the letter for the one he ordered directly. I can't recall the date on it, but tend to think it was after his lawman days, but my old brain isn't processing as well as it did in years past.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
jlevines.com
holding a auction sunday, for a colt revolver with excellent documentation attribution the gun to bat masterson. He evidently bought the gun directly from the company.
would appear to have I think ivory grips. they are anticipating for the 1882 gun a price range of $80000 to 120000.
I need a small loan.
Supposedly he ordered several identical guns. The quote I've always read had him requesting the barrel to be about the same length as the ejector-not a specific measurement and asking for "Gutta Percha grips". A friend of mine owned one of these guns at one time. Based on that, I'd say that dollar figure is too conservative by about half.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Similarly, if you spend any time in Wyoming, you can find hundreds of rifles of all sorts that once belonged to Tom Horn...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jlevines.com
I need a small loan.

whew glad you said small, since I've only $5 to donate to the cause.

bid em up! grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

Yep, I had Ruger on the brain, there......

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.