Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Otis rip coard or bore snake...which one do you guys prefer?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
none of the above.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Only used one of the above on a rimfire. Quickly decided I had a strong preference for a cleaning rod and jag with a good bore guide for the application at hand. Have not looked back.

Suppose I look at what fishing line does in the way of wear to the eyelets especially the one at the tip of the rod. While maybe not as pronounced, I feel I would be inviting similar wear on the crown of the rifle.

Something i could live without. JMHO

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

They both work as advertised.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A couple of friends had Bore Snakes break during use, leaving the brush inside rifle barrels. This turned out to be a real PITA. Since then i have used them only in shotgun barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't have any Otis rip cords. Agreed on the rod guide wear - which leaves me not wanting to use a nylon brush but not wanting to use a copper brush either - don't pull the brush backwards. Letting the chemicals do the work is a real advance and I suppose UBC when appropriate.

As noted a broken Bore Snake is a real issue so I don't currently use them on rifles - nor do I have much need to clean rifles in the field as following the current trend I try to spread the wear even when shooting high volume ground squirrels/prairie dogs et al. I hope to add a .17 WSM to the battery which should be good for the bulk of shots actually taken.

At one time I did carry an appropriate Bore Snake in the respective stock compartments of a couple different rifles (.308 bore and .375) as a useful field expedient and highly portable. I decided adding a sealed bag to reduce the odor made the whole thing too much trouble as well as too risky to use in the field anyway.

I do use Bore Snakes along with Bill Wilson's aggressive chamber brushes during a break in high round count exercises, games and training with handguns - easy to transport, easy to assemble and use and less likely to break - one piece instead of fiddling with little parts in a zipper bag.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I use cleaning rod mostly also but I am not packing a cleaning rod 3 miles to a dog town for a days shooting...
I seriously doubt 2 passes of a rope every 3-400 rds will hurt the bore much.. I have been using the bore snake some on my 223 tactical and it seems to work and get me back shooting with out hiking back to the truck for a cleaning session... I picked up an Otis last night and will try it out this weekend and see if it works as well.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bore snake
It's a problem getting the .22 down the barrel without attatching a leader to help get the weight thru - too damn tight !

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Google "stuck bore snake". You get almost 58,000 hits.

I'll stick with rids at home and an Otis kit in my day pack.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

neither, i only use for shotguns , wouldn't think of putting this junk in one of my rifle barrels

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bea175

neither, i only use for shotguns , wouldn't think of putting this junk in one of my rifle barrels
agreed. did you ever see one used by match shooter? nope.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ok I used the Otis rip coard and I kinda prefer it to the bore snake ...they both work and clean about the same but the rip coard I can use while sitting in my little turkey chair..and save standing up and feeding the rope all the way down...the rip coard pulls through easier...shot about 600 rds of 223 and 250 of 222 and didn't have to hike back to the truck...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A couple of friends had Bore Snakes break during use, leaving the brush inside rifle barrels. This turned out to be a real PITA. Since then i have used them only in shotgun barrels.

^^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^^

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use the Bore Snake in the field all the time... never had an issue...

only had one in 17 caliber get a little weak once.. so I solved the problem by replacing it....

stores in a zip lock bag, which is sorta handy in the field also...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, but I can't think of a time that I've ever needed to clean a rifle in the field that didn't require a rod. What sort of scenario do you need to clean your rifles in the field that precludes you from having a rod along?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
[quote=260Remguy]Just curious, but I can't think of a time that I've ever needed to clean a rifle in the field that didn't require a rod. What sort of scenario do you need to clean your rifles in the field that precludes you from having a rod along

For prarie dog shoots when I have to hike away from the truck. I'm not too crazy about walking back when the shooting is hot...I find every 200 or so rds I get some erratic shots and 2 passes with the rope gets it back going...the rip coard was easier to use and no danger of it breaking in the barrel...not that I have ever broke one but I can see it happen, they pull pretty hard....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
none of the above.

Ditto

I don't use patches two (or ten) times either.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have never shot against someone who used either. i would like too. it would be fun.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I collected the British Enfield rifle which used a pull through and it needs to be used correctly.(See photo at link below) If the cord is not "clean and centered" in the muzzle as it is pulled through it can cause "cord wear" meaning muzzle wear.

I have both types to use in the field or range. BUT normally shortly after shooting I use foam bore cleaner and "minimum" cleaning rod time in the bore.

Spare the rod and spoil the bore.

How to wrap an Enfield pull-through and steps for Enfield care & cleaning
http://www.milsurps.com/content.php...ough-and-steps-for-Enfield-care-cleaning

Below a 1943 .303 British No.4 Enfield with a frosted bore from corrosive primers. And with one shot of foam bore cleaner all the copper and carbon is removed without using a bore brush. (Or a "rope" pull through)

[Linked Image]

Spare the rod and spoil the bore.

Last edited by bigedp51; 08/06/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.