Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
There have been several posts here over the last few months about Ruger American Rifles (RAR), Ruger’s Predator version, and more recently their new ‘Precision Rifle’ which uses design elements from the RAR. So, here’s my brief comment on the RAR.

A few months ago, I bought a RAR – Predator model in 6.5 Creedmoor. Mostly to scratch an itch to play with another 6.5mm round but also to use as a second rifle at high power silhouette matches. Initially, all the load development work centered on match loads with bullets like Sierra Match Kings and Nosler Custom Competitions. Well, it only took a couple of sessions to find ones that would group 5 shots consistently at/or under 0.5” at 100 yards - how boring is that! But heck it’s been a fun rifle to shoot this summer at NRA silhouette matches.

Then I decided that it might be fun to hunt with this RAR Predator this fall, so I started working on a hunting load a few weeks ago. That process was another real challenge. It consisted of using the factory load data for Hornady 120AMAX ammo (thanks to Mule Deer), and substituting a traditional hunting bullet for the AMAXes. Hornady used 39 grains of Varget, so I tested 37-40 grains and got good results from both 39 and 40 grains. Then I retested both the 39 and 40 grain loads, and settled on 39 grains. It seems to shoot OK, so I generated a drop table with the Sierra ballistics program and took the RAR Predator to the range today to sight it in for an upcoming silhouette match – sort of a tune-up for fall hunting. This picture shows the results:

[Linked Image]

In the finest ‘campfire tradition from my sample of one rifle, I conclude the following:
1. RAR Predators might shoot just OK but I need to spend more money to get a 'good' rifle (maybe just a few ‘BENS’ more like I did for my Tikkas, or maybe many more ‘BENS’ like I did for my custom Rem 700 silhouette rifle)...LOL
2. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a challenging cartridge to reload and it's really not much fun to shoot (I think I should try another wildcat like the 260 Bobcat in my custom silhouette rifle)…LOL

Now back to the articulate, rational and polite discussions on the Optics and Hunter's Campfire Forums... wink

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sorry about your luck. If it is a Left Hand RAR, I'll pay the shipping to take it off your hands... grin

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't give up-I'm sure you can find something that will shoot adequate if you endeavor to persevere. By the way, I think I read somewhere that only groups of more than 10 shots count anyway.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just picked up one of the new Ruger Precision Rifles chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've toyed with it a little, but I'm not ready to declare it "good" yet.

I have also owned one of the RAR predators like you mention. It shot well with 38 grains of Varget and the Hornady 129 Spire Point.

I ran some of those through my Precision Rifle, but I can see that it needs a tad more tweaking.

Just got in some 130 grain Nosler Accubonds today. May very well put those together and see how they run.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a RAR Predator in the 6.5 Creed from SAS. Ive got a SWFA SS 6X MQ that's going on top. I really want to try the 123gr and 139gr Scenars.

I would love to have the Precision Rifle but for $900 I could get my .243AI built that I've been putting off.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.