Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
there are way less deer everywhere i hunt,we have a camp in highland near headwaters that we stopped hunting 6-7 years ago because you can hunt high or low and you are lucky to see any deer on that part of shenandoah mtn.i hunt southeast of richmond,numbers are falling in those areas to.i have 2500 acres in nelson county everyone in that area has complained for the last 3-4 years about not seeing many deer.

last year was a great mass crop,the year before you were lucky to find a acorn. this year is good against the blue ridge and should be good in most of the state.i have a few small tracts that i hunt that are close to home. they are surrounded by farm land .plenty of corn and beans so they eat good every year. i usually manage to get a descent buck on one of them.i have a huge bear coming thru my yard this year. maybe he'll stick around.

I hope you get a shot at that bear, and I'm not surprised he's coming through your yard. wink

As for the rest of the areas, I haven't hunted Highland as much as I'd like - I need to do that more. I don't hunt SE of Richmond but I know a bunch that do, and they've not been much other than happy. As for the Nelson County 2500 acres - that's odd, to put it mildly.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good points. It seems likely though, that transmission of the prion would be more probable from a pile of corn, mineral block, or other concentrated food source than in a green field. The plan's not perfect, but at least may help slow the spread. Once the prion is in the soil, it's apparently pretty much forever. Some folks are going to continue to feed and bait through ignorance and/or stubborness. Such is life.

If I were a farmer, I'd keep my mineral blocks close to home to help keep the deer away from them. CWD isn't supposed to be transferable to humans, but livestock might be another matter.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see this Buck on my Virginia Place on a regular basis . Here he is on the trail cam. I have six different bucks on the trail cam and a bunch of does every time i check it. This is the best one so far on the cam. He is getting bigger on the 1st photo. The date on the camera is the right,but time on the first photo is wrong should have am not pm , i forgot to set the time when i changed the batteries, that has now been corrected..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The regs say no baiting or feeding, no doubt because intent would be hard to prove. Also, a lot of folks feed wildlife just to watch them.

Bird feeders are exempt, provided they aren't set up so as to attract deer as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
we have guys that lease land along the park that are feeding everything year round. they could care less about the law. bears coming thru my are crapping yellow corn piles year round.the only place they can get it is a feeder most of the year.va. needs to stop the baiting year round a enforce the law.no fun hunting over a bait pile to kill anything.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of you guys hunting any in southwest VA? Smyth, Washington, Grayson or Tazewell?

Last edited by Holston; 07/28/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cheaters gonna cheat.

'Twas ever thus.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Anybody want some Buck Bombs cheap...?

I haven't been in the woods yet, our scouting won't start until next month. Crops look good here as well in NOVA.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i won't go til i have to. chiggers eat me up.never used a buck bomb. i haven't really used much of anything last few seasons.i figure i hunt where they live,i'm a firm believer in seat time.i'm seeing a few nice ones now. saw 3 big ones near richmond a few weeks ago,one will go close to 24in. saw 3 -8pts at the house this week,one of them was real nice and heavy.i never go to my favorite little tract of land til opening day of bow season. i always know where the food and water is on that land. early season thats about all that matters.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Holston
Any of you guys hunting any in southwest VA? Smyth, Washington, Grayson or Tazewell?

Wythe for me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My mother's side of the family is from Grayson County and I started my deer hunting there.

I have also hunted in Smyth and Washington County.

Currently, we hunt in Ashe Co, NC about 2.5 miles from the Grayson County line.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys are pretty close. Most of my hunting is in Smyth. I hunt a little bit in Tazewell and Grayson, but not too often.

Clinch Mountain and Skulls Gap are where I'm usually at.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I did some scouting several years ago around the lake on top of the mountain above Big Tumbling Creek. Plenty of bear sign but I never hunted it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of bears in that area. Seen a few good bucks come from the back side of the lake in the past couple years.

If you're up that way again, don't turn off and go towards the lake. Keep going and stay right at the shooting range. You'll see a sign that says "Panther Lick". Great place to hunt if you walk to the top.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks. If I'm ever over there again I'll check it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are pretty close. Most of my hunting is in Smyth. I hunt a little bit in Tazewell and Grayson, but not too often.

Clinch Mountain and Skulls Gap are where I'm usually at.

You ever hunt any over around Sugar Grove, VA?

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunted Grayson for many years and the country around Mount Rogers has lots of deer, but it is rugged mountain land and hard to find them . Getting them out is a long drag since no motor vehicles allowed, you don't see many bucks but when you do see one it is usually a good one. We always camped at the head of Middle Fork. You can also go in from White Top Mountain but it is a 5 miles walk just to get to the trails that take you to Mount Rogers . You can also start from Highland State Park, which parts are legal to hunt on during the Deer Season. My family used to own 1000 acres in Tazewell County and it was the best deer hunting place i have hunted in VA. I never hunted there i didn't kill a buck. The farm was sold when the family owners pasted away and i have cried every deer season since. The farm is now a Sub Division. Grayson around Mount Rogers is your best bet for a really nice buck, but be ready to suffer bad weather and lot of walking if you want to find one. I'm to old for this place any longer and afraid to hunt there now because i'm feared i might kill one and just can't drag these heavy deer for miles like i did when i was young

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
I hunted Grayson for many years and the country around Mount Rogers has lots of deer, but it is rugged mountain land and hard to find them . Getting them out is a long drag since no motor vehicles allowed, you don't see many bucks but when you do see one it is usually a good one. We always camped at the head of Middle Fork. You can also go in from White Top Mountain but it is a 5 miles walk just to get to the trails that take you to Mount Rogers . You can also start from Highland State Park, which parts are legal to hunt on during the Deer Season. My family used to own 1000 acres in Tazewell County and it was the best deer hunting place i have hunted in VA. I never hunted there i didn't kill a buck. The farm was sold when the family owners pasted away and i have cried every deer season since. The farm is now a Sub Division. Grayson around Mount Rogers is your best bet for a really nice buck, but be ready to suffer bad weather and lot of walking if you want to find one. I'm to old for this place any longer and afraid to hunt there now because i'm feared i might kill one and just can't drag these heavy deer for miles like i did when i was young

My grandfather's old place is about five miles south of the Grayson Highlands Park entrance off of Hwy. 58.

If you can get back into the public land a good ways ( think 5 miles plus) some big bucks can be found.

My uncle killed a 163 ten point and 140 8 point back in there.

Its big rough country and there is enough elevation to make for some really nasty winter weather in there during deer season.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/30/15.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
I'm to old for this place any longer and afraid to hunt there now because i'm feared i might kill one and just can't drag these heavy deer for miles like i did when i was young

Sounds like an old hunting partner of my grandfather. He was hunting WAY back in some of those same VA mountains and had gotten situated overlooking one of those nice, big draws with a thicket at the bottom and a good creek down the middle. He said one of the biggest bucks he'd ever seen came sneaking out of that thicket headed up the draw toward the laurels at the head of the draw. Up came the rifle and the sights settled on the buck, just as his mind went "wait a minute... that's a big damn deer... way down there in that hole... and the truck is over four more draws just like this one... and you ain't no spring chicken".

Pard said he stood up, waved his arm, and shouted "BYE!" The buck stopped, looked up, and then went right back where he came from (and not all that fast, either).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just don't want to kill a deer that bad any longer to kill myself trying to get it out. Same reason i don't hunt Elk any longer.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.