Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I really wanted one bad in high school and finally picked up a used one at a gun show awhile back.
Made in Belgium and beautiful wood and metal.
Does anybody else love these?
whelennut

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pics!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My LGS had a trio of the new model. One each in 22lr, 22mag and a 17hmr. Beautiful wood and finish. I think he wanted $900 a piece. I occasionally went in to tell him he was too high and fondle them. One day a guy, with money, walked and bought all three. Broke my heart!

That is a great snag to get an original!

Pics would be appreciated.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always wanted one.....a left handed one. I haven't heard too much on their accuracy though and have been hesitant to spend much on one. That and the salt wood issue. Post up a range report for us! And pics!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
My LGS had a trio of the new model. One each in 22lr, 22mag and a 17hmr. Beautiful wood and finish. I think he wanted $900 a piece. I occasionally went in to tell him he was too high and fondle them. One day a guy, with money, walked and bought all three. Broke my heart!

That is a great snag to get an original!

Pics would be appreciated.

Several places on the net has them, walnut or composite, under $600 shipped.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought a new model left hand T Bolt and it is amazingly accurate. The trigger will get a going over soon as that is my only complaint with the rifle, other than the high price. I have a Remington 581L that is also a tack driver. My biggest fear in buying the T Bolt was that it wouldn't shoot as well as my 581L. Glad to say they are at least equal with the Browning being much better to look at. Mine is the synthetic version. I can't imagine a better squirrel getter.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was out for a 22mag a year or two back and went out one day pretty fired up to get a T bolt based on nice wood, good lines and light weight. The gun felt good in my hands too. But the bottom metal is plastic. The magazine, loved by many, is a wierd plastic deal. Most new guns have a lot of plastic. I hesitated and went home. Later I read that even for $1000 rimfire, that serious trigger work would be needed. End of story.

I have some mixed feeling about that decision. I am very happy with my Ruger American and not because of the low price. It just works. And even though it is 50% plastic, it does not try to be a fancy gun. In fact, I thought the plastic stock T bolt was a more honest style and even came with a spare magazine. I might have missed a bet on the synthetic T bolt.

I assume the old Belgium guns are or were a class act. Real metal for bottom metal? No hi $$$ odd ball magazine? And, how is the trigger on the Belgium guns? I look forward to learn more about this Belgium version.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mr. whelennut: When Browning brought the original T-bolt out, there just were not hardly any quality .22 bolt rifles available. I decided to buy one about the time Browning dis-continued them. So the sources were dried up. But I remembered that a small shop in the town my wife was attending college at, had had one or two for sale. So I went down there and sure enough, they had this one left. They had accidentally put the wrong price on it: Browning at that time made a T1 and T2: the T2 was fancier with checkering and the T1 no checking and oil finished stock. They had put the T2 price on the T1. I pointed that out and they sold it ( the T1 model) for the correct price (I'm thinking $60.) I still have the gun and have always really enjoyed using it. I've never seriously shot it much for groups but use it for the typical .22 shooting out in the country: gophers in the back yard and mostly just plinking. I have the same old Redfield 2 3/4 scope on it that I've had for many years. They were obviously quality made in every sense that I can see: very nicely fit, blued, machined, etc. So yes, I join you in saying "I love my T-bolt." I should add that my wife (the same woman I was dating at the time) really enjoys shooting it too and is quite capable with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always looked for a LH Belgian T-bolt, but never found one at the right price.
For a number of years now, I've had a RH T-2 with some minor salt wood issues that I picked up for $175. I stopped any further corrosion, but the wood finish is thoroughly crazed, which often happens with the salt-cured wood.

Anyway, these are great little sporters that shoot nearly as good as some target rifles. I also like the fact that the original T-bolt was designed by an American, who sold the patent to Browning.
I won't be selling mine anytime soon,. . . .unless someone wants to trade me their LH version ;-)

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 07/28/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The New Ones are better than the old ones

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T Bolt was the first rifle I purchased with my grocery delivery money. Got it from a good friend at Cooks in ABQ New Mexico for $57 and change in the mid 60's.

I still shoot it and it is still my favorite 22.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Whelennut: I have owned two of the Belgium made variety Browning T-bolts in the past.
I enjoyed them very much and have LONG since pissed away the pittance of profit I made on each of them ($75.00 or $100.00 IIRC).
I wish I had them both back!
I have been looking for the last ten years or so for a replacement Belgium T-bolt.
No luck yet - they ARE pricey anymore (the Deluxe Belgium variety).
I hope you enjoy your T-bolt and please let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked an old left handed Belgium made T bolt in a trade what a shooter I love it ,it out shoots my marlin 39 hands down

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The first .22 rifle (T2) I bought for myself with money earned from various chores.

Loved shooting it with the receiver sight and CCI mini mags. My introduction to a quality .22.

That rifle has since been gifted to number 1 son...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bea175,

Would very much appreciate hearing some specifics on your experiences with both original and present T-Bolts. I have only owned one original, but like the design enough to consider buying a new model.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We bought the wife a new LH T-bolt when they recently became available.
Not a fan of plastic on a walnut rifle, but it is a very nice gun overall and shoots well.
Not up on Browning's manufacturing of T-Bolts, but we had watched for several months before a lefty sporter became available.
If I was wanting one, it might be a good idea to get one while they are available, as one never knows when Bro2wning will stop making them again.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I picked up one NIB in 1977. It has a T-1 barreled action in a T-2 stock with T-2 sights on. Since it had been a few years since Browning manufactured them, apparently they made up a run from parts. I eventually bedded it and it now shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Killed a ton of squirrels with it over the years.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
I have always looked for a LH Belgian T-bolt, but never found one at the right price.

I don't think you've missed much. I bought one of those back in the '70s and it never grew on me. The action felt jerky and accuracy was less than spectacular, so I sold it and have never regretted it.

I really liked my Kimber of Oregon lefty, but it became too valuable to shoot, so I got a CZ452 and love it.

One man's experience, so YMMV

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had my hands on a tiger maple stocked modern version about a year ago that I dang near brought home with me. It was exceptionally pretty and handled like a real rifle should. The two things that made me reconsider (only if I pried my eyes off the stock long enough) was the plastic parts and the bolt sticking out like it does. I hunt my guns and I kept thinking that bolt would constantly be hung up on something. Never having owned a T-Bolt I was unsure how big a problem that might be and got cold feet.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
822 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.