Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Str8ball, check your private messages.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Str8ball,

You are getting plenty of advice on areas and tag strategies, but you need to also think about your logistics, especially with a couple kids in tow. October-November in elk country is normally winter. In CO, I have seen -24 in the tent in the morning and butt deep snow. It may only be around freezing, but if you don't have the gear, which it sounds like you don't, consider hunting out of a motel. There are a number of places that is feasible. Yes, you do have to drive every morning. But you also need to think hard about your rig and what it is capable of.

Are you set up for getting stuck in crotch deep snow? If you are solo DIY particularly with kids, you need to have contingencies worked out. Shovels, tire chains, extra gas, come-along(s), emergency gear and food. About the time you are high-centered at nightfall, you might be glad to see those other hunters you were wanting to avoid.

If you plan to camp, is a camper possible? One with a reliable heat source? A cold camp at that time is year is not going to cut it, and you and the boys will be at the very least miserable. Yeah, some years are warmer, but 2 years ago in the second blizzard of the season first week of October, we spent a couple days snowbound in camp where no one knew were even there. There was a lot of shoveling involved - dawn to dusk shoveling.

Not saying don't go elk hunting, just trying to prepare your thinking a bit. When you get into the high lonesome, help is not necessarily right there, and if you are not prepared it can be much more than just miserable. It can be dangerous.

And another thought. Do you know how big a dead elk is? Are you prepared to part it out and carry it out? You will not be able to drag it like a deer - even if the boys are in good shape and can help.

If you are going to do this, get your logistics sorted out, and be prepared for winter weather, cold camping conditions, and the need to dry clothes and gear nightly. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be mild, but don't come west counting on that.

Make sure you and your boys have adequate cold weather clothing, boots, hats, gloves, and extras for when you get soaked.

Good luck I hope you do find some elk. Learn all you can this first trip.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Plenty of places to hunt in Colorado units 4, 3/301, 12 and 13. you need to get a good map and locate BLM or State School land. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Landowner New Mexico cow elk is a good 1st elk hunt.

I know of two family friendly outfitters in Raton NM

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are going 3rd season with otc bull tags white river area 12 23 11 211 near Meeker and Craig have elk but lots of hunters too. Leftover cow tags go on sale the first week of August and would be a great idea, certainly the kids at least should go with cow tags to increase their chances.

There are low sagebrush and high aspen areas so you can adapt to weather and move your camp. Think of this trip as an extended scouting trip where you plan to learn about elk hunting and maybe you'll kill one while you learn. Plan on walking at least 2 miles past the end of vehicle access to be successful.

Pay attention to the weather - it can change rapidly in the mountains and having 4 wheel drive, chains, come along and shovels is just part of the necessary equipment that hopefully stays in the back of the truck.

The more you scout online and in person the better you will be prepared. Read the regulations carefully, watch videos of the gutless method how to cut up an elk - they are just huge in comparison to deer and you want to get all the meat out in good condition. Bring packs to carry out meat - they don't have to be camo or pretty, just capable of carrying 70 lbs of meat.

Practice with your rifles to at least 300 yards and carry a rangefinder so you aren't blazing away at 700 yards or shooting over their backs at 225 thinking they are 350. Maps and GPS are necessary tools for the public land hunter in CO landowners don't have to mark their property and trespassing is always your fault.

Assume that you'll learn more and unfortunately need to buy more stuff every year for a while.

IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
str8ball has disappeared...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a site by Colo. Parks & Rec., regarding what you should have with you for survival, if you hunt the high country in cold, snowy weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FV5ShSNIdfY&feature=endscreen

Best of luck to you and your sons.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Str8ball,

You are getting plenty of advice on areas and tag strategies, but you need to also think about your logistics, especially with a couple kids in tow. October-November in elk country is normally winter. In CO, I have seen -24 in the tent in the morning and butt deep snow. It may only be around freezing, but if you don't have the gear, which it sounds like you don't, consider hunting out of a motel. There are a number of places that is feasible. Yes, you do have to drive every morning. But you also need to think hard about your rig and what it is capable of.

Are you set up for getting stuck in crotch deep snow? If you are solo DIY particularly with kids, you need to have contingencies worked out. Shovels, tire chains, extra gas, come-along(s), emergency gear and food. About the time you are high-centered at nightfall, you might be glad to see those other hunters you were wanting to avoid.

If you plan to camp, is a camper possible? One with a reliable heat source? A cold camp at that time is year is not going to cut it, and you and the boys will be at the very least miserable. Yeah, some years are warmer, but 2 years ago in the second blizzard of the season first week of October, we spent a couple days snowbound in camp where no one knew were even there. There was a lot of shoveling involved - dawn to dusk shoveling.

Not saying don't go elk hunting, just trying to prepare your thinking a bit. When you get into the high lonesome, help is not necessarily right there, and if you are not prepared it can be much more than just miserable. It can be dangerous.

And another thought. Do you know how big a dead elk is? Are you prepared to part it out and carry it out? You will not be able to drag it like a deer - even if the boys are in good shape and can help.

If you are going to do this, get your logistics sorted out, and be prepared for winter weather, cold camping conditions, and the need to dry clothes and gear nightly. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be mild, but don't come west counting on that.

Make sure you and your boys have adequate cold weather clothing, boots, hats, gloves, and extras for when you get soaked.

Good luck I hope you do find some elk. Learn all you can this first trip.

Good advice

I would not be dead set on going this year and plan on a good cow hunt next year. If you can get out in the Summer and scout and hike area you will be hunting that would be better.

I grew up in the mid west hunting deer and killed dozens of then with bow and rifle ml. I moved out west 10 years ago and elk hunting takes a good deal more planning and research. The country and conditions out west can be daunting for a newby.

S
OP Offline
S
Im still here fellas. Thanks for all the replies. I think we will use a motel this year and drive in each morning.

I am fully aware that elk hunting is more daunting etc. That's why I have been reading about it for years and have never gone. smile

I'm not new to hunting. We have plenty of cold weather clothing etc. December in iowa is plenty cold when we are deer hunting. I was more concerned about the reality of camping etc. That time of year.

Getting stuck in the snow in my truck would not be good of course. Thanks for all the tips.

S
OP Offline
S
I have a range finder. Does anyone use his phone as gps? I was planning to get some Maps after getting the tags.

We will definitely do a lot more practicing with the rifles before going. We don't use rifles much in iowa due to hunting regs.

We will have to get some packs. Any recommendations on cheaper packs for decent quality?

Do any of you have a list of supplies you refer to before going each year?

IC B3

T
T
Str8ball,
not sure if you've decided exactly where to hunt but you should check out CO's left over tags. they go on sale tuesday aug 4th. there are a lot of good cow tags left.
EBAY has some really good Kelty internal frame packs for under $50 dollars, Moraine I think is the model. Jansport also makes a good pack for the money...you will pay for the brand name hunting packs.
The Colorado parks and wildlife website has some great info on gear in their elk hunting university page. There are lists according to seasons of what you should have.
TrippCanyon

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is so much cool and expensive gear out there that your head spins with the items and their cost. But garage sales and eBay are your friend, your aim is to get this stuff a little bloody so who needs new?

Your cold weather clothing will be great for sitting but you need to dress in layers elk hunting. Hiking in you want to wear as little as you can so you don't sweat like a pig after the first 1/4 mile, then add layers when you stop and sit. Take some off again as the day warms up and you move around. Add some back as the weather cools, take some off for the hike out.

Run the stairs at your local school bleachers wearing a pack full of water - you can't replicate altitude but you can get in top shape starting early.

Decide where you are going and get a couple of leftover cow tags for the kids at least on Tuesday. Nothing makes your elk hunting trip as popular as bringing home hundreds of pounds of delicious elk meat. "Honey we are almost out of elk in the freezer - when do you go again?" are beautiful words.

Unless you are paying top dollar to hunt private land or riding way back in a trophy area you wont be passing smaller legal bulls or even cows like you see on TV.

Other than good boots and necessary emergency gear you can save and skimp and wait on other stuff. Ask your old backpacker friends if they still have the old external frame pack gathering dust in the garage and get your packs for free. You have to dress like a pumpkin anyway so camouflage doesn't matter.

If you PM me your address I'll email you my list and an excellent article from KC on this forum, this tablet and I are both fairly limited.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Camo is only useful for enriching the camo makers. It's not needed at all for elk rifle hunting. I wouldn't buy it at all except a lot of the good stuff only comes in camo.
I wear cheap milsurp wool pants. They're comfortable up to 60F or so without long johns and warm down to 0 or lower with them. They don't get cold when wet but they do smell. I can live with that. If the elk smells my pants, he's already smelled me anyway.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.