Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Got limited access today but need some help. Found hi power #168xxx about 90 percent blue or better. No rust or dings in metal or wood. Checkering at pistol grip is full wrap around, forearm is three point. All checkering is excellent with no dings which is a concern? But balance of rifle is good enough to support this. Str stock. Takedown. Marlbles rear marked glas???? Looks period. No signs of refinish. Hi polish blue. 410 bbl with it but no case. Asking 1900 firm

Good deal or no? Am on vacation and one day to decide.

Thanks charlie

Last edited by crsides; 07/30/15.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pistol grip and checkering would indicate special order... or after market.

Would need pics.

410 barrel is a helper, those go for good money.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It's is straight stock. Side panels are checkered. Overall nice gun. How much is 410 adder, without the fitted case. It's is model 1899 but you probably knew that. Agree on pics, but probably cannot get them in time for decision.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .410 barrel on a good day would bring $350-$500. Side panel checkering would raise my eyebrows. If you have the money to spare the game in on your court.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it were a special order gun, and truly in the condition you describe- not refinished in any way- and with a .410 barrel, then maybe it's worth it. But it would be on the tippy top of the "worth it" scale. If it's a gun that got some custom checkering along the way, no matter how nice, the value is reduced from that of an equal condition all original gun, making such a rig more like an $1100± item IMO. I won't even begin to make a pronouncement without seeing detailed closeup pics, or better yet, held it in my hands.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The side panel checkering , full wrap around checkering at straight grip (lots of it), and condition of checkering are my only concerns. And not knowing the price on these.

Do you think 410 bbl = spl order, could be indicator of spl order checkering?

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If it were a special order gun, and truly in the condition you describe- not refinished in any way- and with a .410 barrel, then maybe it's worth it. But it would be on the tippy top of the "worth it" scale. If it's a gun that got some custom checkering along the way, no matter how nice, the value is reduced from that of an equal condition all original gun, making such a rig more like an $1100± item IMO. I won't even begin to make a pronouncement without seeing detailed closeup pics, or better yet, held it in my hands.

Thanks, i would think a HP with nice aftermarket checkering without 410 bbl would bring $1000. Your numbers suggest $600 to700?

I know extra checkering also suggests cover up for cracked stock

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds nice. If I wanted it, I'd just buy it and not worry so much what it's worth to someone else.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're asking questions that can't be answered this way. Even lettering such a gun most likely wouldn't answer that question. You're the one looking at the gun. If YOU think it's sketchy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,back off. There'll be others. If you have money enough to play like that, then it's all moot.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 410 barrel might have been ordered with the gun, might have been ordered for that gun later on, or might just be a barrel put together with the gun at a later time. No way of knowing.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by crsides

Thanks, i would think a HP with nice aftermarket checkering without 410 bbl would bring $1000. Your numbers suggest $600 to700?

I know extra checkering also suggests cover up for cracked stock

Yep, for a really nice .22HP TD that's been dicked with- no matter how nicely done the dicking was done. That same gun without having been messed with could command in excess of a grand, in a collector's market.

The interest of such a gun would fall squarely to the non-collector who appreciates (or not) the beauty of the modifications. At that point it's a matter of what floats your boat, and how thick your wallet is.

Thinking about it, there are exceptions to that rule. Provable customization by a "name" in the industry is one.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/30/15.

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
You're asking questions that can't be answered this way. Even lettering such a gun most likely wouldn't answer that question. You're the one looking at the gun. If YOU think it's sketchy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,back off. There'll be others. If you have money enough to play like that, then it's all moot.

I can swing the money, but don't have a need for HP. So to me it is a Can I get my money out of it when I get thru rubbing on it question. Sounds like there is not a lot of upside if I resale it later. But it is kinda neat.

What is the ammo availability situation?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fair amount of factory ammo on GB most any day. You're not likely to find it on the shelves at a local gun shop. To get the most out of it you will want to handload for it. Don't get me started on that subject (as the audience heaves a big sigh of relief)!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/30/15.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
How long is the barrel? and Id ask to have the 410 barrel put on the gun to make sure it indexs right! i once bought a 303 H take down with 3 barrels, 303, 22hp and 410 it was only 700.00 for all really thought I lucked out, was a grey used rifle, but later only the 303 barrel would index right, still kept the 303 sold the rest and did make a few bucks on it in the end. If it looks too good, it been freshened up im thinking!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Asking 1900 firm

Thanks charlie

Put 15 Ben Franklin's on the counter and see just how "firm" he is. I bet he won't let you pick them back up. JMHO
yooper

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd walk away unless I was somehow certain it was all original.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just factor in the fact that non-original guns are somewhat easy to find. Originals , not so much. Non originals never bring the kind of scratch so many on gunbroker think they should, unless they find a pigeon with more money than smarts, or the kind who know just enough to be dangerous. The 64 thousnad dollar question, IS IT WORTH IT TO ME? I never buy with resale in mind, cause my estate will be the ones to find out that value.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 410 barrels didn't come out that early and all of them had continuous threads. The 22 barrel and receiver would have interrupted threads. The rifle could have been sent back to the factory and had the 410 barrel fitted at a later date.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could look at it like this. Let's say the day after you bought it you found something else you couldn't live without, but you couldn't afford it without selling the 99. How fast would you be able to turn that rifle back into the amount of cash you bought it for? Would you actually make more? How long has it been in the shop where you found it? If it's been a long time then that may be the answer you are looking for.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Good responses. thanks for the thoughts/opinions. I know not having pics makes it IMPOSSIBLE to appraise originally, so again, thanks.

It is a model H, 20" bbl, str stock. Has steel buttplate. I will have pics up tonight, or some time this weekend. Its still at the LGS. He has had it since 1967, don't know how long for sale. 410 bbl looks near new.

I did the 15 bills thing, and he still has it.

Charlie

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I did the 15 bills thing, and he still has it.

Charlie

In my experience, gun dealers have ice in their veins. They figure if you'll make a pre-meditated $1500 cash offer, you're trying to lowball them but you'll be back. I've never met a dealer that can be shocked into selling low. They've seen it all. Just be honest about what you're willing to pay for something and if they can't sell for that, then feel good about it and move on.

When I've made a sincere offer that is less than the asking price, I've had positive responses, whether or not they accepted my offer. It's a simple mutual respect thing.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe that the standard buttplate for that serial number range on an 1899H would have been a hard rubber buttplate, but steel buttplates could be had as well.

The hard rubber buttplates did last to up around the 193,xxx range with the other 1899 changes, right?

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
pics pics pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Be glad he didn't pick up your money...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
That's a Winchester M70 steel plate on the gun....

90% bluing is very generous....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Be glad he didn't pick up your money...

details, I need details.

Charlie

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not Factory!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Charlie, the rifle was made before 410 sets were made. Possibly sent back later to have one matched, but maybe not. The checkering maybe nice but not factory. Winchester butt plate. Those would be enough details to scare me. I get caught up in a really nice looking rifle too. But, I've learned that to get my money back it's got to be special, and it may take a few years. Not that I plan on selling any of my 99's, I think I'll let my heirs fight that battle. That one is pretty, but not special in a collectors sense. I've seen a couple or three H 22HP's that looked sweet to me and they all seemed to have about a 1900 sticker on them, but none of them sold. Shows me I still have a lot to learn, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Now there's some details. Thanks for the info Joe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.