Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
American rimfire available with a wooden stock.

[Linked Image]

sick

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am a happy owner of a 22mag RAR. It is a great gun for what it is. My only hunting rimfire. IMHO, This is a step in the right direction, if Ruger wants to sell me another or compete with CZ. Given I dont need another, it probably take a lot more to sell me another rimfire.

Another step would be too improve the 77/xxx trigger. A 3rd step might be a top grade American truly competitive with CZ or 77/xxx. Serious snob appeal - in a good way. The new design should be less cost to build and about as good as anything out there.

I like this wood option, but for a little more money the CZ looks better (style). Mechanically, or design, I prefer the Ruger American over the new CZ455. It just need a bit more hi class in the wood version.

I seriously believe Ruger is on the RIGHT track here. For every $100 price increase, I bet the market shrinks 90%. So; time will tell, how far up scale Ruger can take this thing. Has anyone one even seen a wood RAR?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

sick (this is a :sick face icon)

No. Now this is sick (and not in a good way):

[Linked Image]

I could just as easy paste images of stocks painted by owners and posted with pride on the web.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo! They gotta make a living.

The Reactionary Old Fart contingent makes a lot of noise about what the gun companies oughta make, but when they comply, the only ones who buy the stuff are the ROFs, who are noisy but few in number. I buy a few myself, but tend to go for the real deal (old Mausers, Sakos, etc.) instead of the "new classics". The old stuff may have a few love bites here and there, but when fed today's good bullets, they shoot right along with the new stuff and, THEY WORK. And, finding them is half the fun.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Not bad, but it would have looked better checkered like the Walmart Special 10/22s.

If I were King, they would have done a stainless version first

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am old. I like classic. I also appreciate practical and affordable. I like a good design too. The Ruger American is top notch, just as it is. Now what? Wood is good. Left is needed. Stainless is ok I guess. It is all up side from here.

I like the old mausers. I dont have one and dont really want one. I do have several CZ and they are real old school guns for pretty fair price. I have a No1, shoots so/so. Takes more than looks to be a great gun. The RAR has the guts to be great.

First time the above posted image was leaked to the web, I though it was wood colored plastic. Is it that difficult for Ruger to modify the 77/22 stock concept to this gun. Or just shamelessly copy the CZ American? In Walnut? Maybe a Predator bbl action: clean siteless barrel and scope base?

Here you go, posted by Jim:
[Linked Image]

This gun looks good. Ruger you get it? And include the magnums, please.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Boyds shipped my walnut stock for my RAR Predator today, will try to post pics when it comes.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wood or plastic, I don't care, just start offering at least the 22LR in LH. I have a son that absolutely NEEDS one! Save him from me buying him a Savage... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by tmitch
Good that they're offering it, however for the $$ I'd opt for a laminate from Boyds. Now if we can just get them to make a port side RAR!
Yes to the lefties being needed. I have an 8yo that I'd love to get an RAR for. Might have to go Savage or if I splurge a CZ...

A Lh 22mag would be nice

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pretty nice looking rifle that would cause me to bust out my wallet if I saw one locally.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are several on gunbroker now with starting bids of one penny and no reserve. The ads have better pics than Ruger's catalog photo. Just search for "ruger american wood" to see several for sale.

Obviously they copied the plastic stock identically, right down to the forend shape and checkering pattern. I think a more traditionally shaped forend and standard panel checkering would have looked nicer but overall the rifle ain't too ugly in real life.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pointer
Wood or plastic, I don't care, just start offering at least the 22LR in LH. I have a son that absolutely NEEDS one! Save him from me buying him a Savage... wink

^YES!!^ I need one and my grandkids need a couple! I keep writing Ruger "Tell the CEO" but to no avail........ yet.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obviously they copied the plastic stock identically, right down to the forend shape and checkering pattern. I think a more traditionally shaped forend and standard panel checkering would have looked nicer but overall the rifle ain't too ugly in real life.

[Linked Image]

I'm with Jim on the first part of his statement. As for the last part of the statement, let's just say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. In this case I'm not a beholder

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The nice thing about birch on a rifle is that most of it isn't hurt by a coat of paint, and the stability is only improved by greater attempts at sealing it. The bad thing about birch is that most pieces tend to be quite unstable regardless of how much effort is made to seal them.

[Linked Image]

I haven't seen a better looking plastic stock than this. The only 'u' word that needs to be applied to plastic rifle stocks is "utilitarian'; it goes without saying that they are ugly. (Some people just add paint to improve the opportunity for added adjectives….like gaudy.) smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I follow 4 forums and to date not a single person on the web has purchased or even placed an order for one. I ask on every forum about the bottom metal - no reply. Plastic right? It does not look real promising. The gun buyer is a fickle creature.

I was kinda hot to buy a Browning Tbolt and looked over my first one and walked away. For $$$$ plastic bottom metal on otherwise a nice walnut gun. So I got an all plastic RAR for 1/2 the $ and I am very pleased. I also have a CZ, which is a looker and shooter.

The 77/22 and RAR use the same magazine. Would it take that much to tool up to make an American stock based on the exterior pattern of the 77/22 wood? And maybe modify the 77/22 bottom metal? And, delete the cheezy sites?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seriously doubt that they want to try to turn their good, solid, economy-priced rimfire into a show piece. That's the niche the 77/22 fills.

The sights are considered a plus by lots of folks as they are becoming rare on rifle of all sorts these days. I do think that they should be screw-mounted so folks like you can remove them cleanly.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I seriously doubt that they want to try to turn their good, solid, economy-priced rimfire into a show piece. That's the niche the 77/22 fills.

The sights are considered a plus by lots of folks as they are becoming rare on rifle of all sorts these days. I do think that they should be screw-mounted so folks like you can remove them cleanly.

I think you are probably right. My reasoning is the RAR was designed with low cost manufacturing as a goal. I think I read that, now it could just be marketing or my bad memory. Regardless, the 77/22 strikes me as way over priced, although I am sure it has some following. The 77/44 and new 17 WSM strike ma as pretty nice or unique guns, bad triggers and all. Since CZ has dumped the 452/453 for a cheaper to build 455 less rigid design, I guess there maybe a niche for the 77/22. Maybe?

My vision is a gun priced competitive with CZ with nice wood and steel. Competitive in looks, accuracy and price. That may not be feasible, just a though. That would fall midway between 77/22 and RAR. That while keeping the current RAR at its excellent price for performance. Not replacing the value packed RAR but adding an upscale option. Walnut, steel and lower cost than 77/22. A lot lower.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A future option of receiver aperture and fr globe, might provide a chance for younger shooters to get a taste of better irons. Nothing fancy, williams and/or lyman quality. Perhaps best handled as after market along with appropriate stocks. Another passing thought. ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many 77/22's have you owned? If you're just looking at a $$ perspective maybe. The 77/22 shines on so many avenues I own 3 AND 3 453/2's .... not picking one over the other yet. .... The American 453 is still new to me, but could overhaul the 77/22 Varmint I built (blue/walnut with shilen varmint barrel) .... the 453 Varmint and my Ruger varmint run together ... still no real favorite (& I have the same cash in each rifle!!!)

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by avagadro
How many 77/22's have you owned? If you're just looking at a $$ perspective maybe. The 77/22 shines on so many avenues I own 3 AND 3 453/2's .... not picking one over the other yet. .... The American 453 is still new to me, but could overhaul the 77/22 Varmint I built (blue/walnut with shilen varmint barrel) .... the 453 Varmint and my Ruger varmint run together ... still no real favorite (& I have the same cash in each rifle!!!)

I test fired a 77/357 but never owned any 77/xxx of my own. I like the concept of 77/44 but not able to justify the buy. Then after the test firing a 357, I lost interest anyway. I also like the 77/17wsm but 17 is not my cup of tea. I really did look seriously into buying a 77 in 22 hornet (years ago) but; rumored accuracy issues scared me away. IMHO, all nit picks aside, the 77 guns shine in the center fire versions.

I also never re-barreled any gun and I dont see that in my future. That is just me.

My main point is the better design and more efficient to manufacture Ruger American is an opportunity for Ruger to challenge the CZ at their price & quality level. I do have a 453 and its a great gun. I think the shift to 455 could be an opening for Ruger. Then agian, that maybe just me, most dont know a 453 or 452 from a 455.

This birch RAR with its a wierd design does nothing for me. So much more seems possible. I can wait. Just like the lefties, in time anything can happen.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.