24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed on the Birch RAR ...but then again the RAR doesn't do anything for me and don't see me owning one. Rebarreling an older 77/22 is just like doing a 10/22. Easy peasy lemon squeezey. Did need to open the barrel channel a bit for the heavier barrel though.

I do have a 77/22 Hornet (VHZ) and with Factory rem/win ammo it sucks!!! Put some Hornady 35gr V-max boolits and she sings .... smile see below (left target).

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
hornet 1022 targets.JPG (62.17 KB, 553 downloads)
Last edited by avagadro; 08/14/15.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Plenty of ammo out there albeit at prices most don't like. We won't see prices as before yet if you look long and hard you" ll do better than some. JMOP

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 77/ triggers are easily improved. I lightened my RSI up with a Wolffe spring, then trimmed it to lighten it a bit more. I have a spare sear and the next move is to stone that a bit. I saw instructions here a while back and it looked pretty easy. For about $40, Timney has a good package that installs easily (which explains the spare sear I have) and gives outstanding results.I occasionally itch for another 77/44 or one of the .357s, but they are evilly balanced little stinkers.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/15/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I just picked this little beauty up to keep my .22 standard and .22Mag company. The owner of the LGS said it was an Ellett Bros. special.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I wanted to do some 50 yard stuff but it started raining and I don't like my toys out in the rain. That target was shot at 25 just as soon as I got it zeroed.
Rich

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Ryszzard
I just picked this little beauty up to keep my .22 standard and .22Mag company. The owner of the LGS said it was an Ellett Bros. special.
[Linked Image]

Someone posted pics on another forum and he did not know any details such as being an Ellett special or Ruger model number. There is nothing on th Ruger websit. Do you see a unique Ruger model number on the box?

BIG question Number 1, can the sites be purchased separate? This is key because not everyone is going to want the bbl & caliber offered by Ellett. That is assuming, they could find one.

Is the rear site dove tail cut. Slot blank used? No photos of that area shown on either forum.

I like to see the same excellent detail of the front site base, one screw or is that tapped 2 screw (different). I think the assumption is both front and rear are a special Williams for Ruger setup only. I dont think Williams has them cataloged. Did you get a set of front inserts? Photo?

This is very interesting. Thank you for the post and what ever else you can add.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
One more note, as a seperate post. Williams does offer a 3/8 dovetail mounted rear peep site. It look like this except for the mounting. This Ellett, uses the 2 screw holes. The dovetail mount would allow easy swapping from a scope to irons. But some times these dovetail mounts, like certain rings, have a problem with the round top on the RAR receiver.

I wonder if the 2 holes mounting is just a more solid attachment (or lower) or a solution due the rounded top of the RAR receiver?

The matching proper fit and height front is another key piece of the setup.

Thinking in terms of versatility, optional height on the front base and a weaver rail on that rear, with ability to swap iron and scope on the rear - would be nice. Maybe the best of all worlds.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by Ryszzard
[Linked Image]

Is the rear site dove tail cut. Slot blank used? No photos of that area shown on either forum.

I like to see the same excellent detail of the front site base, one screw or is that tapped 2 screw (different). I think the assumption is both front and rear are a special Williams for Ruger setup only. I dont think Williams has them cataloged. Did you get a set of front inserts? Photo?

This is very interesting. Thank you for the post and what ever else you can add.

The pic above the target shows the sight base, it is secured by the same 2 screws that you'd use for a ring base. It is contoured to fit the receiver. And the front base is secured by a single screw. And that was probably me on the other forum.
Rich
[Linked Image]
bad pic I know

Last edited by Ryszzard; 08/20/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like it uses the holes for the scope base, which is nice unless you want to switch back and forth. I have a 50year-old Redfield that clamps to the dovetail and works very well. But doesn't have the target knobs. That is a nice sight. I wonder if the Williams clamp-on has target knobs as an option.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Looks like it uses the holes for the scope base, which is nice unless you want to switch back and forth. I have a 50year-old Redfield that clamps to the dovetail and works very well. But doesn't have the target knobs. That is a nice sight. I wonder if the Williams clamp-on has target knobs as an option.

My read on the Williams catalog was that the target knobs are optional as is larger diameter eye disk on the dovetail mount rear site. Not even a guess if the dovetail mounted williams will clear the round top of the RAR?

And, that front base is a critical part. I guess if I really had to know I would call. But, for now just making conversation.

Thank you, Ryzzard, for posting and the follow up front photo.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've gone around a bit with the sights on my RAR standard. This is the model specific Williams made for it.
[Linked Image]
I sent it back as the elevation adjustment was a set screw that just bore down on the receiver ;-(
Then I got this one but would not adjust enough to get it on target.
[Linked Image]
Finally
I'd have to rummage through my packages to get the model number of the Williams that's on there now. This is what it looks like.
[Linked Image]
Rich

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I maybe a little slow, please bear with me. You have two guns both setup with Williams peep sites. Are the front globes the same on both? I would like the Williams number for the front base, if you can get your hands on that box. What the heck, one photo, three boxes? I think I prefer a dovetail mount. Huh, I might get another RAR in LR to compliment my magnum smile

These two different guns use the same front site setup?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Different guns, one in the bottom pic is a standard .22LR which I sacrificed the front sight. Filed it all down then filed some groves into what was left.
The top pic is a factory compact that came with the williams rear which screws on with the 2 screws that would hold the scope base, while the front is held on with the one screw just like the original sight.
Notice the compact with factory peeps does not have a dove tail cut into the barrel for the original sight.
Hope that clears it up, if not ask away.

Rich

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's what I would like to see Ruger do.. as long as they are not standing still, is...

I would like to think both Ruger and Hornady would like to compete with the 17 WSM market share. And since they have teamed up before, I would like to see a 20 caliber rimfire based on the same parent nail gun case as the 17 wsm or 5mm Rem Mag. Top that with the Hornady 24 gr NTX 20 caliber bullet and I would think it would be a hit. It might not be the velocity king, but I would think it would have more retained splatter factor.

I realize that now is probably not a good time, but someday, when the skies turn blue and the country recovers from Bam Sham 1 & 2.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
Wood or plastic, I don't care, just start offering at least the 22LR in LH. I have a son that absolutely NEEDS one! Save him from me buying him a Savage... wink

pointer, Whittaker Guns in Kentucky is pretty good about getting LH guns into stock.

Cooper 57M LH for $1917
http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cooper-22-classic-6-5x284-left-hand

CZ 452 American 17HMR for $413
http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cz-452-american-17hmr

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was in Whittaker's yesterday, and they still had ONE CZ 452LH .22LR in stock. Salesman Scott tried to get me to buy it for my LHed wife, but it would be too long for her tiny, tiny self.

She'd be better served with a Scout or one of the little CZ 455s with the short, threaded barrel and synthetic stock, if it were LHed, of course.

Give them a call on Tuesday, and see if they still have it, and buy the daggoned thing before I go back myself!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Where does one get the peep sight factory model? What is the Ruger number on it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave284
You should have known Ruger was willing to play the "cheap and ugly" game when they came out with the "boatpaddle" stock. Even with all the ugly stocks out there today that is still in the top 10 for the ugliest stock ever award. JMO.

Dave.

[Linked Image]

But so eminently practical as rugged, take-anywhere, hunting tools. It's the only non-wood stock I really appreciate.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Where does one get the peep sight factory model? What is the Ruger number on it?

Model No.08328...Catalog No.AMER-RF-C-PS
That's what was on the box of the one I bought.
Hope it's of some use to you.
This is the thread at RFC http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591454

Rich

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
American rimfire available with a wooden stock.

[Linked Image]

sick

Will grant you it's more of a Tony the Tiger Tika-ish stripe than standard point or even leopard print checkering, but otherwise that's a decent looking bolt rimfire in wood. Better than plastic anyway? Wouldn't mind trying one but am full-up on 22's at this point.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I was in Whittaker's yesterday, and they still had ONE CZ 452LH .22LR in stock. Salesman Scott tried to get me to buy it for my LHed wife, but it would be too long for her tiny, tiny self.

She'd be better served with a Scout or one of the little CZ 455s with the short, threaded barrel and synthetic stock, if it were LHed, of course.

Give them a call on Tuesday, and see if they still have it, and buy the daggoned thing before I go back myself!
Ha! My son is 8yo, so it would be way too big for him. I'm hoping for a LH RARimfire by Xmas. If not, we'll think of something, but he's getting a 22LR for Xmas. Mom and Santa be damned... wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
295 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.