Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
American rimfire available with a wooden stock.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Strange to me that they would come out with a rimfire, with ammo being in short supply. I will not buy a new one in these current conditions. Anything that I buy will be re-loadable. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
American rimfire available with a wooden stock.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Jim ... any word on pricing ... looks to be birch of some sort.

That could make me part with some pennies if I were so inclined.

Saw Kecatt's post and it appears that the wood comes at about a $110 premium .... for birch .... hmmmm ....

Last edited by avagadro; 07/30/15.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good that they're offering it, however for the $$ I'd opt for a laminate from Boyds. Now if we can just get them to make a port side RAR!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The email notice I got calls it a hardwood stock so it's probably the same birch as 10/22's. MSRP is $449 compared to $339 and $369 for the various synthetic stock models. They don't show it as being any heavier, 6.1 lbs vs. 6 lbs for the synthetic.

The synthetic models are being offered on gunbroker in the low-mid $200's so I figure once this gets to everyone's shelves you could probably pick one up for $300 or less.

Not really an earth shaking announcement as rifles go but I have to again tip my hat to Ruger for continually bringing out new products or new versions of existing ones. Most companies announce a few new models or variations once per year, Ruger seems to give us something new to gawk at about once per month or sometimes more often than that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
perhaps the wood will make it a bit more palatable, but its sad to see a company that made its fortune designing, building, and selling guns that had classic, traditional styling and tough as nails designs in an era when white-line spacers, glossy finishes were all the rage, suddenly join the race for who can build the cheapest, most plastic guns along with the "in" models of the day. I can only imagine what people like Len Brownell, the great stockmaker who designed the original stocks for the 77 and Number 1, would be thinking about something like the RAR !

Perhaps there will arise another new company, a new ruger if you will, who will cater to traditional good looks and classic designs that work. Oh for the days of the likes of Win. 75 Sporters, Rem. 513s, not to speak of the all time great Win. 52.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
perhaps the wood will make it a bit more palatable, but its sad to see a company that made its fortune designing, building, and selling guns that had classic, traditional styling and tough as nails designs in an era when white-line spacers, glossy finishes were all the rage, suddenly join the race for who can build the cheapest, most plastic guns along with the "in" models of the day. I can only imagine what people like Len Brownell, the great stockmaker who designed the original stocks for the 77 and Number 1, would be thinking about something like the RAR !

Perhaps there will arise another new company, a new ruger if you will, who will cater to traditional good looks and classic designs that work. Oh for the days of the likes of Win. 75 Sporters, Rem. 513s, not to speak of the all time great Win. 52.

And Weaver steel scopes. Oh the good old days!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

with the advanced manufacturing abilities with cnc processing i have wondered why Winchester doesn't bring back the 75 and do it right and affordable. the 52 was reproduced for a while but i wish they would keep it going so the prices were more affordable.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are classic steel and walnut .22s out there: CZs, Ruger 77/22s, Annies, Coopers, and Zastavas. Nice ones often come at a price that the general market won't pay; ask Remington. The CZs are very nicely made and stocked, just as nice as the models you mentioned except maybe the 52, and are great shooters and good buys. The machine work on the RAR I looked at was pretty nice and in general, looked nicer than similarly-priced Marlins and Savages. If the wood-stocked RAR sells, a walnut model won't be far behind, maybe from Lipsey's, but it won't be $300.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps there will arise another new company, a new ruger if you will, who will cater to traditional good looks and classic designs that work. ...

Uh yeah ... it's called Ruger .... They still make their "old" line of rifles .... but have added another line. How is that bad? How is making a product folks will buy bad? Using your logic, most firearms manufacturers would be defunct by now.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch
Good that they're offering it, however for the $$ I'd opt for a laminate from Boyds. Now if we can just get them to make a port side RAR!
Yes to the lefties being needed. I have an 8yo that I'd love to get an RAR for. Might have to go Savage or if I splurge a CZ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
milespatton - yes indeed...one has to wonder Ruger's wisdom in bringing this out now w/ the .22LR shortage. Do they know something the rest of us don't? I've a big stash of .22S given to me that I'd spend the money on buying a rifle for rather than one in .22LR just to have something to shoot at my local range. The Henry pump rifle comes to mind...

Instead, I've been upgrading my 10/22's while HOPING the LR shortage ends sometime in the rest of my lifetime (68y/o) LOL.

Homesteader

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's just a d*mned shame that Ruger can't bring the 10/22 and/or RAR out with a decent piece of walnut attached.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They still make the Sporter with an "American Walnut" stock. Now whether that's decent walnut is anybody's guess. wink

[Linked Image]

They make this "Altamont" with French walnut as a distributor special for Lipsey's.

[Linked Image]

Plus TALO has a walnut Mannlicher model in blued and stainless.

I have this "birch Sporter" model with a 22" barrel and have been toying with the idea of finding a take off walnut sporter stock for it.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You should have known Ruger was willing to play the "cheap and ugly" game when they came out with the "boatpaddle" stock. Even with all the ugly stocks out there today that is still in the top 10 for the ugliest stock ever award. JMO.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like this new wood stocked American version, but I don't think I'll be buying one, I'd still spend the extra money on a CZ Myself.................Hb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Ruger has done a lot to keep the classic, good looking line of guns alive. The market simply doesn't support it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was late to the synthetic stuff, being a walnut/blue steel kind of thickheaded ol' bastard, but I tend to give credit where it's due.

The idea of an affordable (but well made) rimfire that's easily adaptable to both young and older shooters, fills a need and Ruger saw that, made it happen.

Didn't like the RAR when I first looked at one, bought one anyway. It is now one of my favorite rimfires, as issued.

If the look/feel of plastic gets to botherin' me, can always pick up something with a nice walnut handle and shoot that. Even if it doesn't hold a candle to the RAR, downrange?

My opinion, they can stick that birch stock where the sun she's a no shine, especially at a price increase.

sick

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.