-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys,
New to the forum and new to AZ but not new to hunting. I was lucky enough to get pulled for my first late season Elk Bull rifle permit in AZ's unit 10. I went to the 8 hour AZ Elk Hunters Society last week and got some great info but wanted to see if any experienced guys out there could share some info on unit 10 with me? I am heading up this weekend to start my scouting but it seems pretty daunting with so much land, I did pay the $60 and got the Boquillas Ranch permit.... Any help would be appreciated and valued. I plan on camping the week of the hunt in the area as well as scouting a few more times (work load is making that tough). Thanks in advance.
Also, ive been reading a lot of great info on this site but seems like most "inside info" is send via pm smile
Bob

Thanks,
Bob
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Unit 10 is a big unit. There are lots of private lands as well as national forest. It is not high pines and aspens like many units. It is mostly algerita bushes and sage. You will be surprised at the bleak looking country that you will find elk it. They will hole up in a little canyon during the day that you can hardly see until you walk up to it.

Good luck with your hunt.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Welcome to the forum, good luck on your hunt. Be sure to take photos (successful or not) and tell us about your hunt.

Be safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had that hunt a few years back, the last year before Boquillas started charging I think. Tough hunt as animals in that unit have been pushed around since Archery Elk, Deer, and Antelope seasons along with the early rifle elk hunts.

One might try over by the Double A tank outside of Ash Fork, north of the RR tracks in the area of the 7 nd 6 FS roads. I found a number of carcasses from the archery and rearly rifle folks and I've hunted that area during archery cow season so I know thye're in there. Even north of that holds animals. I never did see bulls on my late hunt tho, just some cows and yearlings. Folks nearby hunted to the north of me near paradise tank I think, off the E/W running road and hiking in towards the south. They found their bull 3 miles or so away from any roads.

Boquillas has good areas too. Went there on the last day of my hunt and got on fresh tracks from a bed (piss from when he woke up was still wet) but ran out of time. Never really know where the elk might be though.

Your best bet will probably be to use your maps & satellite photos to find areas bounded by and as far from roads as possible. That's even where I found the cows. Those bulls are mighty skitish by the late hunt, people do connect tho.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us filled in.

Oh, it might depend a lot on if/when it rains where you find them. Rain and water in the seasonal areas will have them not needing the tanks to water.
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I did it last year. I was with my brother who has never hunted big game and his son. I didn't know the area but we tried.

I would head for the ranch and look for deep spots or water holes several miles from any road. The farther the better.

We didn't see any bulls, but we were the blind leading the blind and we did it loudly.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply's and appreciate the input, I went up last week and looked around the Kiabob area. I dont think I can get into the B ranch till this weekend. Ive got some info from some other sites and will be heading up from Mesa tomorrow to get some more time in looking. Thanks again......

Thanks,
Bob
crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Spent all day Friday on the lower portion of the ranch up to the walk in only portion by rose and south east side of 10 and all day yesterday on the northeast/middle section of 10/ranch. I meet some great guys on the trails that shared some good info on personal experience in the area, much appreciated to them. Seen a lot of antelope/Javelna and 4 cow elk as well as a nice young mule buck in velvet but no bulls. I fell a lot better knowing what the area looks like and should get a few more visits in before the hunt.... Thanks again for all the help....

Thanks,
Bob
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you got a chance to scout some. Just remember, like most other parts of Arizona it's likely to look a bit different come fall/winter. Be prepared for different weather, if you haven't already been warned. It can change quickly up there and get really nasty.

Good luck and keep us informed as to how it's going,

Geno

PS, where abouts did you see the javelina? I've only seen a few in that unit.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Valsdad, it is what it is with the weather..... Saw the Javelna just north west of Rhode cyn tank on the ranch...

Thanks,
Bob
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks,

You're right about the weather. Just be prepared.

I'll check out that tank maybe next time I get out that way, although I'm not predisposed to paying the "trespass" fee they instituted a few years back.

Again, good luck.

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Also keep in mind that the elk will be in a different area come November from where they are now. Use your scouting to get to know the area but I wouldn't rely on the elk being where you find them now.the late hunt tends to have bulls and cows separated, so if you are seeing a bunch of cows, come hunt time, look somewhere else.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Any updates in unit 10 so far this year on how the hunt is going? I am heading out this weekend for my last scouting before the hunt....

Thanks,
Bob
crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys, went up to the big bo ranch on Thursday (missed turkeyday, but worth it), hunted areas I scouted earlier and took a couple days to figure out the "game" compared to PA whitetail but was able to bag a nice 6x6 yesterday morning at 745am. It took me 12 hours to skin quarter and backpack the monster out. My pictures are too big to post but I'll try to resize and submit. Thanks for all the advice and helpful hints, all I can say is hard work prevailed for me and it was a great hunt :-).

Thanks,
Bob
crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
my avatar is my 6x6.... smile

Thanks,
Bob
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations! Yes we need pics!

crn021 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is my 6x6 from unit 10 smile

Attached Images
Bull Elk.jpg (22.81 KB, 168 downloads)

Thanks,
Bob
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Congratulations on your hunt, preseason scouting certainly paid off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool, glad it worked out for you,

Looks like you got it done before weather set in too. Just got pics from my Bro in Flagstaff, couple of inches of snow and they're on the first storm of three scheduled.

Again, thanks for keeping us informed.

Geno

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.