Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am building a 6.5-06 today.
I cut the chamber and crown last night by altering drill, boring bar, and reamer in 1/2" steps.
I cut an inch off each end of the barrel.
24" barrel now.

*Dumoulin Mauser action [front and rear rings flat topped]
*Shilen select match #3 taper 8" twist ratchet stainless barrel.
*Starting to fit it in a Boyd's pro varmint stock.
*I am going to make a combination front pillar / recoil lug milled out from a block of Aluminum alloy, and rear pillar from 6061 round stock. I will glass bed them into the stock with them pre compressed with the action screws. The clamping force of the front action screw will be opposed only by the bottom of the recoil lug, not the receiver flat bottom and first inch of barrel. This will be a low compliance path for the rifling twist torque reaction to couple to the stock mass without placing a lengthwise bind on the action.
*I made the flat bottom scope bases from Weaver steel #46 and #54 by milling the undersides flat. The fixture was two modified V blocks held in the mill vise.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Reamer arrived today, my pile of junk for the 6x47L, if this one shoots the Montana may be chambered in 6.5x47L instead of 260.

[Linked Image]

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Milling the front pillar / recoil lug from a block of Aluminum.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

Milling the front pillar / recoil lug from a block of Aluminum.

This is interesting. Can you tell us more about this? Synthetic or wood stock?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
This is interesting. Can you tell us more about this? Synthetic or wood stock?
It is going into a Boyd's pro varmint, which is a laminated wood painted black stock.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...&Action=1G&Shape=1G&Finish=2
I will paint over the black paint with Brownells Aluma hyde II "dessert tan" color:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx
I already have the stock inletted for the barreled action for a more conventional front pillar [ 0.625" diameter, 0.603" length, 0.062" wall tube] with clearance with six degrees of freedom between stock and barrelled action:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom
Today I must cut more off the front pillar / recoil lug and more from the stock to make them fit together before glassing the pillars pre compressed into the stock with devcon steel putty.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys,

To follow on with progress photos on my 2015 project, I received photos this morning from Gary Goudy of the checkering on the 09 Argentine 9.3x64 Brenneke rifle. Gary still has to rub some oil into the checkering and the stock will be finished. Gary likes to photograph his checkering before adding the finish to the pattern. The metalwork is out for a rust blue job. If all goes well, I'll probably use the rifle on a bison hunt in September.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I still need to chamfer the breech, mount a scope, and load some 6.5-06 ammo.
If it shoots, it gets painted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice work, ClarkM. Where are you located? I am in SKC near Auburn.

I have a .224TTH (.22-6mm) made up on an Arisaka Type 38 action, waiting for CeraKote.

Also, a .375 Whelen Improved on an Erfurt Mauser and a .450 Alaskan on a Siamese Mauser.

All are getting laminated stocks, scopes for the first two, and a Redfield peep for the .450 Alaskan.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am in the Seattle area.
I generally hate Boyd's for off the shelf, but for something to hew and hack and paint, their laminated wood is as good as anybody's.

I used to go to the Gunshows in Puyallup and buy more gun projects than I will ever finish. But I have not been since initiative 594 kicked in in December. Maybe I will go Saturday and buy another project and pay the $10 background check fee.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took delivery yesterday on the completed 2015 project. To bring everyone up to speed, it started as a military 1909 Argentine 98 Mauser action, a Lothar Walther 9.3 mm barrel, a Dakota 3-position safety, Dakota grip cap and sling swivel bases, red Pachmayr pad and bottom metal and trigger from Blackburn /Swift. All that was delivered to Reto Buehler who turned those parts into a barreled action. He added a new bolt knob which he styled and checkered and shop made custom scope mount bases for Talley rings. While doing the metalwork, he decided that the action was a bit softer than he wanted so sent it out for re-heat treatment.

When Reto finished getting the metal functioning like a sewing machine, he sent the barreled action to Gary Goudy to stock. I had already sent a stick of good, but not flashy, Circassian walnut for him to use for the stock. He did the checkering while the metal was out for George Komadina's fine slow rust blue jobs.

Remaining to be done is to decided on and mount an appropriate scope and do the load workup for it. Hopefully, that will all be done in time to use it on a big bull bison next month.

Great work by all the craftsmen.

TT
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That is WOW!

Picked out a scope yet Tsquare?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TS,
Hi. My name is George and I have gun envy. Fortunately for me age has mitigated the response of earlier decades.

While I'm mostly content to write emails now and the occasional letter, it's good to know there are some people who will write poetry.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/08/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
George,

I know all about gun envy, I've been so afflicted all of my life. I know well about old age too; if I make it until Monday, I will be 77 and I'm still afflicted. The 9.3x64, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, will be my next to last custom. I have one more barreled action and a superbly figured stick of California English awaiting Gary's wizardry with a stick of walnut. I locked in a spot on his 2016 schedule awhile back and gave him the blank about three years ago. That one will be my last. Since Gary is, I believe, a year older than me, perhaps we'll quit together -- Nah, not Gary!

It has been a fantastic rodeo and I wouldn't trade with anyone. However, when that final custom is done, scoped, and sighted in, I'll start on the reverse, selling them off so my poor wife won't be stuck with them and that task. Isn't the term Gun Nut really apt?

TT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I missed your question. No, I've not yet decided on a scope. I'm leaning heavily toward a Leupold 1.75-6, but not really sure yet. I'll keep you posted.

TT

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ok.

Just my .02 worth,but a Leupold 1.75x-6x would be an excellent choice.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! When mine grows up I hope it looks just like yours grin

Stunning rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took a couple more photos of the 9,3x64 Goudy/Buehler rifle after mounting a scope on it. I had a new Leupold 2-7x33 in my "goodie box" which I will use until I can get a permanent scope for it. This one will do to get started on range work.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a beautiful rifle!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Tsquare beautiful rifle. Nothing better then a wood stock!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
1903 Turk Mauser I am converting to 6mmRem.
The TIG welded bolt handle had some weld in the way of closing the bolt, so I just milled out.

I had to cut on the stock so the bolt will close.
I have less than 2 months before I hunt with it.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.