Print Thread
Hop To
O
ottsm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Was coming back today from a trip to Canada and decided to stop off at Cabelas in Wheeling WV. Picked up some items I need and decided to give a look for some 250 savage brass. I didn't expect much, and initially I didn't see anything. Then I noticed at the top left three bags of 250 savage brass hanging in front of me. I don't know if this is just dumb luck and probably the last 250 savage brass in the USA available in a major store chain, or, are they starting to produce some? If you go to Cabelas web site they still say it can be back ordered, of course I tried to order some several months ago and never got any.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have had some on backorder with Cabela's for nearly a year.. i keep getting emails and updates..but nothing has been in stock far I they have been telling me....

Wonder if someone brought some back to the store for a return and they put it back on the shelf.... either way, I HOPE you bought it?

If not, you might have every 250sav shooter in Wheeling in jail tomorrow after reading this and breaking into the store tonight to get it!! wink

dave

Last edited by ilikemilitaria; 07/03/15.
O
ottsm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I bought all three bags. With what I already have and the fact I load a lot of cast bullet loads, should last myself and my son a lifetime.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by ottsm
I bought all three bags. With what I already have and the fact I load a lot of cast bullet loads, should last myself and my son a lifetime.

Good deal, glad you snagged them when you did. The guy looking over your shoulder at Cabela's wishes he'd of grabbed them the first time he walked by them... wink

The website shows their stock status as "backorderable".. so nothing in stock.

dave

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had it on backorder so long that the credit card I used hit the expiration date! grin

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
IMO, Cabela's is the WALMART of the outdoor world and they keep getting worse. They push cheap junk that sells easy and really don't want to know about anything else. You are better off checking some of the online sites for brass.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have so much I use some to form 22/250 brass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm beginning to view the eight boxes of virgin Norma .250 brass I have as an investment that should be locked up in a safe deposit box. I really ought to get a rifle to use it in.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ilikemilitaria has some no headstamp 250 brass coming Monday. It was made by Federal.

O
ottsm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
ilikemilitaria has some no headstamp 250 brass coming Monday. It was made by Federal.

My guess is the supply chain will eventually start to listen to the demand. If a company like Jamison (Captech), Bertrem, etc. are in the business of producing obsolete brass I would think they would eventually start producing 250 savage although the price has to go up given that it's know longer a bulk item.

Interesting that Federal would make this brass. Wonder if they just had an old die sitting around or are the machines configurable. Would like to see this process.

Actually Jamison does make the 250 savage, but they don't list it directly on the web page, if you go to grafs or lohman arms its listed but out of stock of course.

IC B3

O
ottsm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Decided to look on youtube, if you search "Ammunition Manufacturing Machinery and Equipment" they have a good video on the process.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ottsm
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

My guess is the supply chain will eventually start to listen to the demand. If a company like Jamison (Captech), Bertrem, etc. are in the business of producing obsolete brass I would think they would eventually start producing 250 savage although the price has to go up given that it's know longer a bulk item.

Interesting that Federal would make this brass. Wonder if they just had an old die sitting around or are the machines configurable. Would like to see this process.

Actually Jamison does make the 250 savage, but they don't list it directly on the web page, if you go to grafs or lohman arms its listed but out of stock of course.

My FC brass is new old stock. A friend had a good relationship with Federal. I mentioned on another thread that I have unhead stamped FC brass in a few sizes, 250, 223, long neck 223, 222, 30-30, and primed 22mag without powder or bullets.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've had a backorder for Rem 250 Savage brass in at Cabella's since Feb. 4 put off dates, the latest this week. I called Remington a month or 2 ago asking them why they aren't delivering to Cabella's. They said 250 Savage brass is obsolete and they don't produce it anymore. I posted this on Cabella's FB page asking how they plan on getting it if the manufacturer does not make it They never replied.

Last edited by twinray; 07/31/15.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just make it out of .22-250 or .300 brass and don't fret the unavailability of .250 brass. You can even use .308 brass or anything else that has the Mauser head/rim diameter.(Keep an eye on finished case capacities, and figure that neck reaming/turning is in your future. No big deal, really.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Exactly. I really don't know what all the concern is, get some 22/250 brass and rock on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.