Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
While strolling through a local gun shop today, I noticed stacks of Remington, CCI, & Norma .22LR ammo. Seeing that they had some CCI standard velocity piqued my interest enough to check the price: $9.95/100 rounds. With tax that works out to 10.87 cents per round. I am not in desperate need so I passed.

I spoke briefly with the clerk and she said that we will never see the prices we saw five years ago. As I left the store, I was reminded of the exact same words concerning the price of oil when it was above $100 a barrel. I believe the same thing will happen with .22LR ammo prices that happened with oil, I just don't know when. So my question to you is: What price per round (10 cents, 9,8,7,etc.) would induce back into the .22LR market?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a few months before the shortage took off in full swing around December of 2012 I had a premonition that the S was going to hit the .22 fan so was buying up .22 ammo a brick at a time. At that time the el cheapo stuff was around 4 cents/round and decent AR Tactical or Winchester Super X was about 6 cents per.

I've pretty well given up buying the cheap stuff so I'd pay 6 cents per round for good ammo if I could find it today.

About six weeks ago I found some Federal AutoMatch bulk packs at Sportsman's Warehouse, 325 round packs for $19.95. That works out to 6.1 cents per not counting tax so I bought two, one each week over the course of two weeks. That was the first .22 ammo I've bought in 2 1/2 years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
$19.97/500 rounds (Brick)...or the Federal 36gr. hp bulk 525 pack for $19.97... I'm not that picky..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy passes up ammo when he needs it, because 'it's tooooooooooo expensive', then afore ya know it, he's quit shooting. The same guys that bitch about the cost/availability of 22 ammo, seem to be the same guys that eat out, and go to movies, drive new cars, and such.... My entertainment costs go to ammo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's like asking "At what price would you buy beef?" You have to be more specific. Prime rib or ground chuck?

I shoot Eley Tenex in my target rifles at serious matches and bulk pack through my pistols.

I will say that when the price of the big box cheap stuff approaches the lower grades of target ammo, I'll go with the target ammo for the most part. Just a better value, IMO, and often more available. Norma TAC-22 is a good example.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last 22LR I bought were these 325 Federal tins offered by MWUSA for $16.?? per, limit of 5. Shipping wasn't too bad so I got the limit.

I check into WM, BPS and Cabela's from time to time as I pass by them around NC and SC but never see much available still.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What huntsman and Paul 39 said: It depends on the ammo and what I want it for.

Have spent up to 20 cents a round for target .22 LR ammo, which is still cheaper than any .17 HMR ammo I purchased in the past few years, but in both instances I'm willing to pay for the performance. Haven't yet spent more than about 6 cents a round for "gopher shooting" .22 Long Rifle, but would if Winchester Power Points showed up again.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To keep the kids shooting I'd pay what I needed to.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This is intended to be an open question. Of course price varies with quality of ammunition. In the original post, I quoted a price for CCI standard velocity that I considered too high. Had it been SK high velocity hollow points, and I didn't already have plenty, I probably would have bought some.

I have always bought .22LR by the case and did so heavily well before this latest shortage. I keep large amounts of various rimfire ammo on hand for various purposes. Therefore I am in no hurry to re-stock. The price will have to come to me. I am interested in what you want and at what price you are willing to buy it.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto. I still have plenty of Wolf Match target as well as plenty of AR Tactical - which is very accurate in all of my .22's - and a full case of Winchester Super-X bought in the late 1990's for about 1.8 cents each. Have seen plenty of the Federal bulk and bricks of Remington Thunderbolt at gunshows for $75 or "deals" for $65 but wasn't interested. When I saw the Federal Automatch at 6 cents each that was enough to entice me to pick up some to see how well it shoots. It's not as accurate as the ammo I have so probably won't be getting any more of it even though it's available most every Saturday at Sportsman's.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My "serious" ammo for my Ruger is the same as it was for my CZ, RWS SS HPs. The last I ordered came in at about $8.50 a box, delivered. I'm still looking for practice ammo that hits to the same POI, more or less. Aguila Rifle Match did that for the CZ, but it's pretty much Unobtainium these days.

I would welcome a HS HP substitute for the RWS, but it ain't a great time to be experimenting. None of the stuff in my stash has shot as well so far.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, glad I stocked up on Aguila when it was available and "cheap"!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been paying 8.99/100 for mini-mags lately with no regrets.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought 1200 rounds (store limit) of CCI Standard this week at Cabellas. With tax and a round up for conservation it came to exactly 10 cents a round. My Cooper has shot several sub .25" groups with it so I consider it a bargain. It was the first time I've seen Standard around here in a couple of years or so and I was plumb out of it.

I've been buying different brands locally when I could find it for anywhere from 6 to 15 cents per round just depending on what it was and how bad I wanted to try it.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good .22lr is one of the staples of life. Much like coffee, and try and find one for 10cents these days.

When nobody could find any I had the chance to buy 5000 Ely target for $600 and jumped on at. Should have doubled it. Have some other good target ammo and regular brands that I bought earlier. Some I bought recently.

Money is gone, I have a stash, life hasn't changed and I don't think about the cost when I want to shoot.

Last edited by battue; 07/31/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About 15 years ago the local WM offered Fed HV for $8.98 a brick.
I put a case of 5000 in my cart and eventually made my way to check out.
Cashier scanned the case and it rang up......................$8.98.

Got out of there quick as I could.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've still got a few boxes that I paid about $4 for. Good stuff with that funky Eley smell.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Confession is one hour before daily Mass and 4PM on Saturdays.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still have lots of plinkin' ammo bought right years ago: WW Dynapoints and Wildcats. Some bulk pack Fed.

Now and then pick up some Mini Mags, Auto Match, or something else I like, if the price isn't over the top, but those deals have been few and far between.

Only thing I've not been able to find at a decent price the past two years, was CCI SV. Ain't gonna pay $40 to $60 a brick and that was about all I could find.

Then not long ago a bud that wheels'n deals on trades, goes to lots of smaller gun shows, asks me if I'm still lustin' after a brick of SV? Said yep.

He trots one out with a $50 price tag on it. As I was on the verge of telling him where he could put it - he grins, sez gimme $35. Results of a trade and that's about what he figured it actually cost him.

Made me grin a bit.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savuti
About 15 years ago the local WM offered Fed HV for $8.98 a brick.
I put a case of 5000 in my cart and eventually made my way to check out.
Cashier scanned the case and it rang up......................$8.98.

Got out of there quick as I could.

Wow.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 42 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.