Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
While strolling through a local gun shop today, I noticed stacks of Remington, CCI, & Norma .22LR ammo. Seeing that they had some CCI standard velocity piqued my interest enough to check the price: $9.95/100 rounds. With tax that works out to 10.87 cents per round. I am not in desperate need so I passed.

I spoke briefly with the clerk and she said that we will never see the prices we saw five years ago. As I left the store, I was reminded of the exact same words concerning the price of oil when it was above $100 a barrel. I believe the same thing will happen with .22LR ammo prices that happened with oil, I just don't know when. So my question to you is: What price per round (10 cents, 9,8,7,etc.) would induce back into the .22LR market?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a few months before the shortage took off in full swing around December of 2012 I had a premonition that the S was going to hit the .22 fan so was buying up .22 ammo a brick at a time. At that time the el cheapo stuff was around 4 cents/round and decent AR Tactical or Winchester Super X was about 6 cents per.

I've pretty well given up buying the cheap stuff so I'd pay 6 cents per round for good ammo if I could find it today.

About six weeks ago I found some Federal AutoMatch bulk packs at Sportsman's Warehouse, 325 round packs for $19.95. That works out to 6.1 cents per not counting tax so I bought two, one each week over the course of two weeks. That was the first .22 ammo I've bought in 2 1/2 years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
$19.97/500 rounds (Brick)...or the Federal 36gr. hp bulk 525 pack for $19.97... I'm not that picky..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy passes up ammo when he needs it, because 'it's tooooooooooo expensive', then afore ya know it, he's quit shooting. The same guys that bitch about the cost/availability of 22 ammo, seem to be the same guys that eat out, and go to movies, drive new cars, and such.... My entertainment costs go to ammo.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's like asking "At what price would you buy beef?" You have to be more specific. Prime rib or ground chuck?

I shoot Eley Tenex in my target rifles at serious matches and bulk pack through my pistols.

I will say that when the price of the big box cheap stuff approaches the lower grades of target ammo, I'll go with the target ammo for the most part. Just a better value, IMO, and often more available. Norma TAC-22 is a good example.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last 22LR I bought were these 325 Federal tins offered by MWUSA for $16.?? per, limit of 5. Shipping wasn't too bad so I got the limit.

I check into WM, BPS and Cabela's from time to time as I pass by them around NC and SC but never see much available still.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What huntsman and Paul 39 said: It depends on the ammo and what I want it for.

Have spent up to 20 cents a round for target .22 LR ammo, which is still cheaper than any .17 HMR ammo I purchased in the past few years, but in both instances I'm willing to pay for the performance. Haven't yet spent more than about 6 cents a round for "gopher shooting" .22 Long Rifle, but would if Winchester Power Points showed up again.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To keep the kids shooting I'd pay what I needed to.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This is intended to be an open question. Of course price varies with quality of ammunition. In the original post, I quoted a price for CCI standard velocity that I considered too high. Had it been SK high velocity hollow points, and I didn't already have plenty, I probably would have bought some.

I have always bought .22LR by the case and did so heavily well before this latest shortage. I keep large amounts of various rimfire ammo on hand for various purposes. Therefore I am in no hurry to re-stock. The price will have to come to me. I am interested in what you want and at what price you are willing to buy it.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto. I still have plenty of Wolf Match target as well as plenty of AR Tactical - which is very accurate in all of my .22's - and a full case of Winchester Super-X bought in the late 1990's for about 1.8 cents each. Have seen plenty of the Federal bulk and bricks of Remington Thunderbolt at gunshows for $75 or "deals" for $65 but wasn't interested. When I saw the Federal Automatch at 6 cents each that was enough to entice me to pick up some to see how well it shoots. It's not as accurate as the ammo I have so probably won't be getting any more of it even though it's available most every Saturday at Sportsman's.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My "serious" ammo for my Ruger is the same as it was for my CZ, RWS SS HPs. The last I ordered came in at about $8.50 a box, delivered. I'm still looking for practice ammo that hits to the same POI, more or less. Aguila Rifle Match did that for the CZ, but it's pretty much Unobtainium these days.

I would welcome a HS HP substitute for the RWS, but it ain't a great time to be experimenting. None of the stuff in my stash has shot as well so far.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, glad I stocked up on Aguila when it was available and "cheap"!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been paying 8.99/100 for mini-mags lately with no regrets.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought 1200 rounds (store limit) of CCI Standard this week at Cabellas. With tax and a round up for conservation it came to exactly 10 cents a round. My Cooper has shot several sub .25" groups with it so I consider it a bargain. It was the first time I've seen Standard around here in a couple of years or so and I was plumb out of it.

I've been buying different brands locally when I could find it for anywhere from 6 to 15 cents per round just depending on what it was and how bad I wanted to try it.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good .22lr is one of the staples of life. Much like coffee, and try and find one for 10cents these days.

When nobody could find any I had the chance to buy 5000 Ely target for $600 and jumped on at. Should have doubled it. Have some other good target ammo and regular brands that I bought earlier. Some I bought recently.

Money is gone, I have a stash, life hasn't changed and I don't think about the cost when I want to shoot.

Last edited by battue; 07/31/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About 15 years ago the local WM offered Fed HV for $8.98 a brick.
I put a case of 5000 in my cart and eventually made my way to check out.
Cashier scanned the case and it rang up......................$8.98.

Got out of there quick as I could.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've still got a few boxes that I paid about $4 for. Good stuff with that funky Eley smell.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Confession is one hour before daily Mass and 4PM on Saturdays.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still have lots of plinkin' ammo bought right years ago: WW Dynapoints and Wildcats. Some bulk pack Fed.

Now and then pick up some Mini Mags, Auto Match, or something else I like, if the price isn't over the top, but those deals have been few and far between.

Only thing I've not been able to find at a decent price the past two years, was CCI SV. Ain't gonna pay $40 to $60 a brick and that was about all I could find.

Then not long ago a bud that wheels'n deals on trades, goes to lots of smaller gun shows, asks me if I'm still lustin' after a brick of SV? Said yep.

He trots one out with a $50 price tag on it. As I was on the verge of telling him where he could put it - he grins, sez gimme $35. Results of a trade and that's about what he figured it actually cost him.

Made me grin a bit.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savuti

Wow.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer
Walked into Cabela's and found 4 boxes of Win Power Points the first I have seen in years. $9.97/100 bought 2. Still have some from around 2000 that I bought for, I believe, $14/brick but wanted to check to see if PPs still had the same accuracy as the old ones. Heard they were being made in a different factory now.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Prwlr,

It wouldn't surprise me if they'd changed some since I bought my last brick a few years ago. Would be very interested to hear what sort of accuracy you get!

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Walmart had Winchester power points $8.99 per 100 this AM. No thanks.
I'll just load the 222 or shoot the air rifles.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by colodog
Walmart had Winchester power points $8.99 per 100 this AM. No thanks.
I'll just load the 222 or shoot the air rifles.

That's not a bad price on that ammo, in fact, it's about what it was, pre-Obama. Power Points are pretty good stuff, at least some lots are good stuff. I'd buy all I could find at that price.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly. I'll go eight-something on a hundred pack of Mini Mags or similar ammo, because that's fairly close to what it was pre-whackiness.

Have seen such ammo for over twice that much and let it where I'd found it. No thanks. Actually got some Minis at Wally's a month or so ago, for $8.95 or thereabouts. First I'd seen any in there in years.

Be tickled to again see their 550 Fed. Value Packs at something close to the $25 they were, before all this crap started. Ain't gonna hold my breath on that'un?

smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess whenever I run out of 22 ammo then I will pay whatever it costs to get some more , whenever that is.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been buying .22's regularly. I've bought several bricks of CCI SV at $37/brick lately. Not long ago I bought two bricks of Norma Tac for $59 and two bricks of Norma Match at $70 each. I also have found the Federal AutoMatch at Walmart for $18 and change a few times. I was happy to buy each of those. I would have paid more if I was out I guess. I suppose at some point I would stop shooting .22's but the ammo price would have to be a whole lot higher than it's ever been. Just my opinion.

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 08/02/15.

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had pretty good luck bartering for .22 ammo here on the forum. As long as the exchange is pretty even and both parties are happy. I've managed to get about 7K rounds this way, by the time that supply needs replenishing I hope prices/supply has stabilized.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far this summer, I paid $3.00 for a 50 rd box of Federal 22lr at Cabelas.
Last month I was in BassPro and they had 50 rd box at $5.00 shocked
which seemed like too much. So I passed on it.

Last edited by Hotload; 08/03/15.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot up 1 1/2 550 packs of federal with the wife and grandkids on Sunday. Best 12 bucks I ever spent. Got a 6 more unopened cases and half of another for them. I have other things to shoot. Grandkids come first. 89.99 a case.

Swifty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When this 22 LR hoarding is over they will be giving the stuff away.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In reference to the Standard Velocity CCIs in the original post, 8 cents a round or $40/500 is about the level I consider reasonable. I would probably pay a bit more if I was low and in need but I consider that the 'new reasonable' price. More so than the increase in prices themselves, what surprises me is that what I would consider 'bargain ammo' has worked its way up to the prices of what I consider the higher quality ammo.
There is no longer a big variation in price between the cheap stuff and the higher quality stuff.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

If that's true, you sir are a GD thief.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had to go down into the black hole known as Dade today for some ugly business, so rewarded myself by picking up 1000 rds of CCI Mini Mag's at Lou's Police for $.89/rd on the way out.

Not as good as last time down, but one of the guys at the counter who knows me felt bad about the price increase and offered some Remington Golden Sabre 36 gr for $29/500. I held pat with the Mini Mag's.

Last edited by local_dirt; 08/07/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
$.89 or $.089 per round?

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by dave284
$.89 or $.089 per round?

Dave.

Yeah, I thought $890 was a little high for two bricks.

Last edited by websterparish47; 08/07/15.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I bet you're also one of those guys that "hates thieves."

Don't kick and cry if/when somebody steals some of the schit you paid for.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
When this 22 LR hoarding is over they will be giving the stuff away.

Hahahahaha! Keep dreamin'.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Since cheap 22lr isn't cheap any more, I just shoot the good schit all the time.

Still cheaper than shooting centerfire. Fugk cost. I gots to keep shooting.

Travis

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Since cheap 22lr isn't cheap any more, I just shoot the good schit all the time.

Travis

Pretty much my thoughts.. [Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Yup.

I think the good stuff is more consistent too; less variation between lots (I know match shooters might disagree here, but we're taking about sporters).

I'd rather pay $7-$10 for good SS HPs than $6 for mediocre (which you can't find anyway).

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I refused to pay Dicks $1- for a 100 pack of remington golden bullets last night... That stuff isnt worth it to me.
They had it behind the counter with no price on the shelf and I told the clerk I wouldn't pay that much for that stuff.

Of course I think my message will be wasted because hes a clerk and not a manager and someone will buy the stuff. You cant find any 22 ammo around the cities here.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just came from the gunshow.. Saw some 17 hmr for 12.00 / 50..

The cheapest 22's I spotted were WW 225packs/20..

Love to hear folks pass on the Golden Remingtons.. I must have shot 1000 of them this summer and had one or two bad ones.. Nothing close to the trouble I have had with WW over the years..

During the earlier part of summer I suppose I picked up close to 1000 rds of various makes.. Gave some to friends and kids, got most of it because one of the local guys wanted some .22 ammo.. Told him about it, but he has never came around to pick it up so we will just shoot it away..

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just came from the gunshow.. Saw some 17 hmr for 12.00 / 50..

The cheapest 22's I spotted were WW 225packs/20..

Love to hear folks pass on the Golden Remingtons.. I must have shot 1000 of them this summer and had one or two bad ones.. Nothing close to the trouble I have had with WW over the years..

During the earlier part of summer I suppose I picked up close to 1000 rds of various makes.. Gave some to friends and kids, got most of it because one of the local guys wanted some .22 ammo.. Told him about it, but he has never came around to pick it up so we will just shoot it away..

It's the $.10 a round for them when I paid $.05 for Winchester and automatch earlier at the same store. I shot a lot of rem golden bullets in my past and save the boxes. They are not special enough for that price.

I would pay it for federal 712 though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's always interesting to hear about what brands suck, or what are great.

One experiment I ran about a year ago was with Remington Golden .22 Short hollow-points, because a local store got a bunch in and eventually ended up selling them cheap. Tried them in several rifles and of course they shot great in one or two, but not others, which isn't unusual with Shorts. FTF's were rare no matter what the rifle.

Have found less variation in Long Rifles, especially in non-semiauto rifles and handguns. Have yet to encounter many FTF's in any brand in non-semiautos, though there have been some failures to feed and extract depending on how well the firearm has been maintained.

Overall I've had pretty good luck with all sorts of .22 ammo.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mule Deer, that has been pretty much my experience with ammo also.. But the only horrible ammo I have ever deal with was WW.. One was 333's.. I bought them in Az. when I was quail hunting and wanted some plinkers.. They leaded the barrel of my single six so bad at 10 yards I could not come close to a beer can.. The bore looked like there was no rifling left.. A wire brush and elbow grease took care of that.. Later I got another bad batch of WW ammo in a similar deal..
Over the years I have had excellent luck with most WW ammo.. I just picked up some 555 packs, but haven't shot it yet.. I also picked up some copper plated LR hollow points in 100 packs but haven't shot those either.. I guess a guy can get stung with bad ammo in any of the makers.. I have had some Fed. stuff that had quite a few duds, but was accurate enough for plinking.. So far CCI has never let me down..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would rate most CCI products high on the list of moderately priced priced ammo, especially Mini Mags. Don't recall ever having a FTF with any CCI stuff?

Federal would likely fall in second place, with WW next, although most of my experiences over many years has been with Dynapoints and Wildcats. Back when Kmart still had 500 count bulk boxes of Dynapoints, went thru several boxes of them per year, year after year.

Have also fired thousands of rounds of Federal over the years. Anything from the Value Packs, to Auto Match, Champion and a few other varieties. Federal is a close second to WW in number of rounds fired.

Might've even snuck into the lead, since Dynapoints are all but unobtainable for the past several years?

Remington has long been at the bottom, for accuracy and reliability.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
dube, seems lots of folks have the same opinion you do of Rem. ammo..Maybe I have just been lucky all these years.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a brick or two of their Thunderbolts that weren't too bad. My bad experiences with their Golden Bullets goes back decades.

Stumbled onto a 225 pack of "New and improved" Golden Bullets at Wally's earlier this year. Did shoot some, not too bad so far, but I haven't done any real range work with them yet.

They aren't as sticky'n gooey as they used to be.

In the 70s and 80s mostly shot Mini Mags in everything, with some WW stuff thrown in when my son was old enough to shoot. He went thru dozens of bricks of Wildcats when a little feller, then Dynapoints when they were plentiful and inexpensive.

One year I got him a faux military plastic "ammo can" full of Mini Mags for Christmas, 500 count IIRC? Only time I'd ever seen a bulk pack of Mini Mags, never found any since. Probably around the mid 80s when he was 12 or so?

He figured he'd made the big time, since I seldom let him shoot Mini Mags back then.

grin

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mini mags are far and away my favorite .22 ammo.. Picked up a couple cases before I retired.. Still have some.. But I do all my can, rock,catus shooting with cheap stuff... i did shoot those Dynapoints for years at gophers.. Now I often use stingers and yellowjackets, but I have about shot all of them away.. For this reason, I am glad Rems. do shoot well out of most of my guns.. It seems I am always running into bricks of them for sale at good prices..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Believe me, the managers have pretty much zip to say about what gets sent to their store. That decision is made by "smart people" at corporate. We used to get all kinds of crap that there was no market for and that never sold. We had tons of waterfowl crap out and I don't ever remember selling a single item of it.

Another trick they pulled was coming out to the store and making us put everything we had out on the floor, even to the point that the customers couldn't squeeze between the clothing racks and merchandise was falling off the display pins.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drifting decimal. It was $.0895/rd. $8.95/100.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Drifting decimal. It was $.0895/rd. $8.95/100.

grinYep, I've had trouble with them rascals too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's the price you're going to keep seeing it for 100rd paks of the better ammo.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
last Friday at academy around 1000 am
2.69 for 50rd box of blazer
had a case out at least
got 6 boxes over the course of the day more to follow on that below(surprisingly accurate)
7.49 for 100 rd box cci 40gr minimag(surprisingly accurate)
was at least half a case out at that time
24.99 for 525 box of thunderbolt (didn't buy any)
probably around 12 packs out
put out the word to slumlord
they also had federal ultra mathc at 19.99 a box stuff been their 2 months and rws rifle match at 8.99 a box been their awhile also

so the old fugger openers and their entourages had already been their at 0830 when they opened and got their fill

got in argument with dumb checkout clerk when I went back over with my daughter to get some more blazer or possibly some minimag around 5 pm
no minimag left no bulk packs left
bout 1000 blazer still out
slumlord got a 525 pack and his dad got 2 boxes minimag earlier when I called him up
I bought 2 blazer in the day and tried to get more , they had a case on the counter
fuggers wouldn't sell me anymore than 2 boxes
I said I will be back later when you all change out and chuckled at them

went back around 5 with the daughter
thinking shift change happened

them 3 dumb bishes was still their
one said I remember you sir

some dude working the checkout
so I say 4 boxes of blazer
2 for me and 2 for my daughter
he rings up mine

senior self declared ammo bish from the morning that rang the 1st up for me comes over and says sir you cant buy anymore .22 here today
it is against the law!!!!! according to her

I chuckled for a little bit my daughter rolls her eyes
(she knows the deal)

I said against the law or against your store policy
she says against the law
I say you better read that sign on the counter and get your thinking straight
the dude ringing me up says quietly to me
come on man please don't get her going

she says stop the purchase for me
the dude says to her I already rang him up and he paid

im chuckling right in front of her
my daughter says ring up my 2 now

the woman is flustered
cause I say to her
maam does it make any sense to you that your store policy says 1 bulk pack of 325 or more or 2 boxes of 100 or less for a individual purchase daily

she says it has to do with people being able to buy some and not one person buying a lot

I say
ok

say I buy 2 boxes of 50 of your federal ultra match for 19.99 a box which sits on the counter for 2 months at a time

shouldn't I be able to buy the same corresponding amount money wise of the cheaper 50-100 count boxes
or be able to buy the same amount of cheaper 50-100 count boxes of your least expensive bulk pack for sale at the current time

she was lost
I was being a dick
I said to her
maam I will be like all the old fuggers you see lined up at the door Tuesday Thursday and sunday mornings with all their friends and relatives buying for them also
and I can go call a bunch of people right now and have them here just to tick you off and stand right beside them and hand them money to buy their store policy limit of .22 just to tick you off

she just looked at me

defeated.......................

cause what I said about equal value purchase sunk in her I think

im going tomorrow morning to stand in line with all the old fuggers and their entourages and see what they got

and when the straw purchase game with them fuggers starts im gonna say like a little bytch not fair not fair

hahahahahaaaa!!!

fugging against the law to buy than 2.....................
bwahahahahaa!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you were Mr. Toughguy to a lady @ Academy Sports over some cheap azz Blazers?? Proud night in TN??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And yet some people still insist the continuing shortage of "affordable" .22 rimfire isn't caused by high demand. Instead it has to be the factories not making as much as they used to, or some sort of government conspiracy.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My thought is that the shortage could only be caused by the largest wholesale buyers purchasing all the factory output and sitting on it to keep price up. I would love to see a list of who CCI ships how much to, I imagine Mallwart is at top of list. Maybe the Chinese don't want us practicing up for when they invade. At least I can still get plenty of tinfoil to line my hat.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Local shop had CCI Blazers for $1.99 a box with a 5 box limit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will probably start buying .22 rf ammo again when A) I need it, or B) it's cheaper than handloads in small capacity cartridges with cast bullets.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Will probably start buying .22 rf ammo again when A) I need it, or B) it's cheaper than handloads in small capacity cartridges with cast bullets.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The gophers and chipmunks will keep hoarding whatever they find whether they will ever use it up or not. It's disease just like those folks buying hundred rolls of toilet paper, many sticks of deodorant,..... because it is on sale. I have bought five 325 packs of Federal .22lf ammo and that is more than enough for my needs.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by avagadro
So you were Mr. Toughguy to a lady @ Academy Sports over some cheap azz Blazers?? Proud night in TN??

you got it ace...........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I've gotten to the point where I look at it like this....I can get a centerfire round together for 25 cents. With the centerfire I won't MISS. Three rounds of Thunderturds or whatever -- kinda breaks even that way, so I figure until I see the good stuff coming in under 8 cents a shot -- I might even end up casting and die-stamping something for a light load rather than buy rimfire.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About a year ago Academy got some of these in.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=remington+bucket+o+bullets

I paid 60 something bucks. They function fine in my guns. Accuracy is a mixed bag.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Power Points and stuff
Mule Deer asked about other experiences with 22 LR ammo. So here goes:
I picked up 20K rounds of WW Power Points (PP) at the White Elephant in Spokane about 10 years ago.
Price was something like $14.99/brick. These were the 40 gr HP bullets in the grey box. Also ordered a new Annie 1710 about then. That gun shoots most anything pretty well, but has been on a steady PP diet until this year, when I got to the last few bricks of my PP stash.
Had been working abroad for a few years, but was home in the Gallatin Valley enough to know there was a 22 LR shortage. Would pick up what 22 ammo I found when the price was palatable. Also started shooting my 17 HMR more.
Been around these parts most of my life, and shoot a lot of ground squirrels for local ranchers. Most of this “work” is done right out of the pickup window. HMR is awesome, but gets hot and rumor has it barrels can be shot out, my 1717 HB is a friggin lazerbeam and while I know they make new barrels everyday, have been kind of babying the original one. Plus, shooting ground squirrels at < 75 yards with a good shooting HMR is fun and spectacular, it somewhat lacks artistry?
So, I started to wean myself off the Power Points and search for an available and cost effective alternative. Had a pretty good supply of CCI Min Mag HPs and Rem Golden Bullet HPs. Here is what I found:
The CCI Mini-Mags worked fine. Accuracy was not quite as good as PPs, but acceptable. Had more “flyers” or unexplained misses, but only a few percent. Biggest issue seemed to be failure to expand – gophers would take a center of mass hit, but without the usual auditory conformation of contact, and they would often require a second shot, or get underground before a follow up shot could be executed. As my ammo supply dwindled, I started to shoot a few of my single shot target 22s; mainly an Anni 54 MS, Kimber 84G * . Have to say going back to a single shot was kind of fun, other than my 50-yr-old eyes do struggle a bit to focus between loading and then back to the scope, but a guy can sure kill a lot of ground squirrels one shot at a time…
To my surprise, the Golden Bullets had similar accuracy as the Mini Mags. Still a few percent of flyers, but definitely less failure to expand issues. That plus the fact I was able to find some of those 1400 round buckets for $90 made them my new go to ammo in the PP-less world we now seem to live in.
Best prices I found were $0.090/ round Mini-Mag compared to $0.063/round Rem Golden Bullets.
Then, around May, the guys over at Shedhorn in Ennis came up with some of the Winchester 42 gr Power Point HPs (1330 ft/s). These come in a black box and are loaded in Australia. Price is steep – about $0.12 - $0.14 per round. However, in my guns they are everything those older Power Points were and more. As accurate as the old grey box PPs, and the terminal effectiveness is wicked. They retain the soft HP expansion/lack of ricochet characteristics of the old PPs, and hit noticeably harder. They do not turn a 22 LR into a WMR or an HMR, but if you like to shoot a 22LR, in my experience these are the best. Yes, I have shot stingers, yellowjackets etc, and those have great terminal performance, but stingers in particular do not chamber well in some guns, and the accuracy tends to be sporadic. Plus, I cringe at the thought of cramming those old, extended case stingers into my precision chambers…
It seems like this 22 LR supply/demand thing (lunacy?) is here to stay. I will get by with the Rem Golden Bullets for those 300 round + days and try to keep a supply of 42 gr PPs for late season when the squirrels get bigger, smarter and the grass starts to get tall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can shoot out a HMR barrel .... really .... wow. That is the first time I've heard that. Makes sense I guess. Just figured they'd last forever too. hmmmm. Anyone have a guess how long it takes to toast one? Got me a wondering.

g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
daveinmt,

Thanks for the follow-up. Very interesting about the Power Points!

You probably already know that the original Power Points were made specifically for culling non-native rabbits in Australia, where shooters wanted a .22 Long Rifle wound that would hit 'em hard--and of course they were very accurate and also worked on small rodents. Kind of nice that the new Winchester stuff is made Down Under. If I see some will pick it up, as am down to a little over two bricks of the silver-box stuff.

My experience with the CCI's and Remingtons is similar to yours. Did find the Federal Champion bulk-pack HP's also work pretty well on gophers, and have some of those around too.

As for shooting out .17 HMR barrels, I ran into a retired guy at a gun show 2-3 years ago who apparently does nothing but hunt gophers for the several months it's possible in Montana. He has a golf cart with more than one .17 HMR, shoots at least 10,000 rounds year, and claimed to have toasted four CZ barrels before he started having his rifles fitted with some custom brand, I can't remember which. He said CZ barrels are soft, and the custom barrels last noticeably longer. He wanted my card to contact me about going gopher shooting together but I never heard from him. He was getting along in years and maybe he ended up in the big alfalfa field in the sky.

The barrel on my own CZ .17 HMR is still doing well after over a dozen years, but when I go gophering there are rifles in several chamberings along, from .17 Mach 2 and .22 LR to .17 and .22 Hornet. I also don't have time to spend almost every day shooting gophers for several months each year! Don't even know if I could do it without getting tired of it after a week. But some people get obsessive when they retire. I knew an old guy from Billings who retired from the Laurel refinery, and every day drove down to the Bighorn River and fished the same pool all day long from the shore.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hey John,
I forgot to mention that the Mini Mag RN ammo pretty consistently shoots more accurately than the HP. I shoot squirrels around cattle most of the time, so just do not want to deal with the RN pass through/ricochet phenomena.

Works great for plinking though. Also have a stash of std velocity CCI stuff in the blue box. Bought that for shooting out of pistols and indoor target - quite accurate, but that stuff has been harder to find and more expensive than the MiniMAg HV RN. Go figure. Guess that is why it's called the "Law" and not the "Concept" of Supply and Demand...

On another topic, when and where did that prairie dog town north of Helena along I-15 come into existence? I do not recall seeing them there when I was a kid, but they seem to be doing well over the last 10+ years or so. Seems to me that may be the westernmost PD town in MT?

Dave

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

I've been seeing that PD town north of Helena for longer than 10 years. Can't remember for sure, but seem to recall it being there when we moved to Townsend 25 years ago. Certainly not long afterward.

There are supposed to be some PD's over around Boulder somewhere too. Or at least that's what I heard some years ago. And there are PD's a ways west of Great Falls.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bet that town really got going once the subdivisions started going in on the north flat. Didn't that used to be like the Fort's arty range? Pretty scruffy ground if left to itself without irrigation.
PETA should be gearing up to save them any time....

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My limit would be $60 a brick for either CCI SV or Blazer. Of course if I were totally out most likely would pay more.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally found some American Eagle for 1.99/ 50 and some Federal bulk 325 packs for $16.95 in our local Bimart. The American Eagle has always worked great in my rifles for squirrels and other game so I had my son buy the 2 box limit of them while I bought the 1 box limit of the Federal bulk target.
Hopefully get my stock back up where I'm not concerned about running out on a 2 day sage rat hunt. Sure wish I could find some Power Points, though.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimone
My thought is that the shortage could only be caused by the largest wholesale buyers purchasing all the factory output and sitting on it to keep price up. I would love to see a list of who CCI ships how much to, I imagine Mallwart is at top of list. Maybe the Chinese don't want us practicing up for when they invade. At least I can still get plenty of tinfoil to line my hat.

I can say this much, and I've said it before, to get caught short handed on 22 was not prepping well, at the cost of said 22 ammo...

BUT I am caught needing something I never needed prior, IE DURING the shortage I found use for a particular CCI that worked really well suppressed. almost 2 years back I bought 5 boxes and have been on multiple email update lists and have been looking weekly for that specific ammo and have NEVER seen it again.

I don't think anyone is sitting on it, and metering it out.

Its simply that it doesn't sell as well as others and since they are making as much as they can and people are still trying to make a buck as the 2nd middle man, its going to stay that way.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, what price would I buy it?

The stuff I really need woudl be almost any price. At least for 2 bricks or so.

Regular plinking stuff? Likely I'll never have the need again since I"m 50 with no kids. But only when the market is saturated and I think folks have all they can deal with and or need, and the price falls to what I figure is about as low as it'll ever get again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The RWS SS HP I like is about $7-$8 per box, and I'm okay with that. I would like to find a good practice round that hits the same place and is as accurate or nearly so. I stay on notify lists and check the usual sites regularly just to keep abreast of the situation.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I just bought 500 Remington Thunderbolts because of wanting to know if they work as bad as some people say, or as reasonably well as some other people say. Plus the price was right....

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Just bought A brick of Win sshp for 50 dollars and Win 42gr sshp for 57 dollars for 500 and I was happy to find it almost excited. Pappy348 cci stander ammo shoots to just about the same spot as RWS SSHP in two of my rifles at 34 yards on the back yard range.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm on Notify for that at least one place.

Missed my chance on the Aguila at Midway. I'm still well supplied, but don't want to get in a pinch. I just joined a range about two miles from my house and expect to burn up a lot more than I have been.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya know, we all came to this Forum and continue to return because we have similar interests.

This place we all enjoy so much is really a BBS. That stands for Bulletin Board Service. They've been around since the internet started, and the theory behind them is, was, and always will be "Share what you know, Learn what you don't", as described to me by a long time good friend who has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff and is a Texas version of a Billy Ray Cyrus look-alike biker.

I thought it was a heck of a thing when I first discovered them back in 1992 that a nerdy little Paki network engineer guy that I worked with and happened to like was able to communicate in almost real time with his brother on the other side of the world who was doing contract work for our own U.S. of A. gub'ment.

It's a given that some here are more proficient with the innanet than others. I guess I'm probably one of those people by default of my spending so many years in the field. But, you know what? I'm betting a lot of guys here could tear down a 327 or 350 ci small block Chevy engine, rebuild it way better than it ever was and put it back together a hell of a lot better and faster than I could.

My point is this. Nothing to gain beating anybody up for what they don't know. They may turn around and teach you something you didn't.

Here's something for the whole crew.

Good ammo. Decent price. Schitty pricing on shipping. Comes out to about $.0817/rd for my zipcode after shipping. No tax.

http://www.natchezss.com/federal-automatch-22-lr-40-gr-sld-rimfire-ammunition-325-box.html

Cheers.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 33 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,081
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.