Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As some of you may know, we experienced a direct lightning strike to our home, which rendered the house uninhabitable for the next few months. Off-site storage of my gun collection is much too expensive at my gunsmith's location, I've run out of ideas, and am asking my fellow gun enthusiasts for suggestions for temporary storage.

Has anyone ever used a self storage unit? I've even thought of a covered cargo trailer, which could be secured at our temporary lodging. In the next few months while our home is being rebuilt, I do intend to liquidate a large portion of my collection, so whatever storage method I use, the collection will need to be readily accessible.

Any and all advice is welcome. I will, of course, give campfire members the opportunity to buy before placing the weapons for sale on gunbroker.com.

I am no sicker than I ever was; the wolf is not at the door; I do have a pot to piss in; wink so, I'm not giving the guns away - the firearms I list will be sold at a fair price - I'm certainly not in the price gouging business. First thing I need to do, though, is find a place to store the collection, away from the gun shop.

Thank you for your help,
George

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd say a chain through a wall stud and run through the actions or trigger guards would suffice.

Last edited by ringworm; 07/31/15.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need a gun safe.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ringworm, no wall studs available... Pal, thanks but safes don't come that big... No where to put it if it did.

This is for temporary storage until I sell them or get them back in a house.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't do the trailer thing. All you Will have done is put you guns on wheels. One can get into trailers with a razor knife, or worst case, a sawzall. Cordless makes it easy. Get a gun safe.

Good luck!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Give us some data. How many long guns, how many handguns are you looking for temp storage? Are they in boxes or protective cases? What're the environmental conditions like where you are - humid or dry? What kind of security will be at your temp residence - someone nearby always or are you gone to work all day? That should help get you some useful suggestions.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
...Pal, thanks but safes don't come that big... No where to put it if it did.

This is for temporary storage until I sell them or get them back in a house.

Don't give up so easily. Rent or borrow whatever you need.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No-one like to be an imposition but do you not have any trust worthy friends or family nearby? I would think they would be understanding in a situation like this.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PODS (or similar) container at your current lodging location might work. This time of year, though, humidity would be a concern over a period of months. Next thought is a climate-controlled storage unit to help combat the humidity issue and still provide easy accessibility.

As Bob mentioned, more data will certainly help guide the suggestions. In addition to his points, what kind of price range are you looking at? You mentioned the local smith being too pricey, but didn't quantify it.

Oh, I know. Put them on consignment at a local pawn shop for prices that work for you. If they don't sell, pick them up when your home is ready. You get secure storage and the opportunity to sell some of your collection. I'm not too familiar with consignment sales like that, so my idea might not have any merit.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
...Put them on consignment at a local pawn shop for prices that work for you. If they don't sell, pick them up when your home is ready. You get secure storage and the opportunity to sell some of your collection...

That's a good idea.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How close are you to San Antonio?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1163 miles.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a gun safe or two or three in a climate controlled storage area?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am looking into a climate controlled area today. The consignment thing might work well too, if those guns on consignment will be storage free.

The storage is $175 per day now, covered by insurance, but unfair in my opinion.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$175 per day??
Maybe I just found my next career opportunity!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once had a similar situation. I gave the guns a good coat of Breakfree Collector oil and packed them in VCI bags from Poly gun bags. I then packed the bags in gun cases or knit covers. I packed the cases in ordinary wardrobe boxes, complete with hanger bar. You can fit twenty or so long guns in each box. I did use strapping tape on the boxes.

I put all the boxes with guns in them in the back of the storage unit and then filled the unit with furniture, other household items and identical wardrobe boxes containing clothing.

Anyone who broke into the unit would have seen it was full of ordinary stuff and would have had to empty out the entire storage unit to get to the guns. Unless the thief knows you have something valuable in there, they're not going to bother.

The real trick is to keep your unit anonymous. Move the guns in yourself and use a good, but not conspicuous lock.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
How about a gun safe or two or three in a climate controlled storage area?

That is what I am currently doing. I have 3 safes in a climate controlled self storage facility that has onsite supervision 24 hr/day. It's not cheap though. Costing me $90 a month for not much more than a big closest space with a plug for the golden rods.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the wardrobe boxes idea. Especially with some decoy boxes in front. Thieves don't care about clothes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The storage is $175 per day now, covered by insurance, but unfair in my opinion.

That seems outrageous to me. $5,250+ per MONTH.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

That seems outrageous to me. $5,250+ per MONTH.

Depends on how many guns you are talking about, their value, and the level of protection provided. It would be cheap for 100 guns and 24-hour armed guards...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.