Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A Short Addendum:

I failed to mention in this thread that I certainly have taught and illustrated SAFE firearm handling, shooting in general and hunting to my SONS. AKA mentoring my kids.

My older son isn't into hunting but he has Shotguns, Mzld, CF rifles, and at least 1 handgun that I know. This makes me think that I need to encourage him to get a Ruger Mk III in 22 LR. AFAIK (as far as I know) he doesn't have a 22 handgun. He moved to Al. in 2003 so I don't get to spend much time with him, especially per guns/shooting.

My younger son is a very good shot and killed HIS OWN first deer at age 10. I was with him but HE shot it himself. He has killed deer with a shotgun, mzldr, and C F rifles. His favorite is a 700 BDL 7mm RM.

I guess I haven't done too bad. smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
devnull: we sure can never tell about our kids. my son grew up hunting critters, and going to shoots. he won a collection of medals too. then, at age 14, he lost all interest and at age 21 moved to one of the big cities out east. last time he came home, when i picked him up at the airport his first words were, "dad, let's go to the range--right now--and do some shooting". we did, and it was like old times.

Lawrence: i sure enjoy reading your posts--and really enjoy seeing some of those nice rifles that you post--you sure have a nice battery of rigs.

Coyote Hunter: interesting story about the two guys. i've also seen some pics that you've posted of your handguns--some nice rigs you have.

Tracks: mentors are a real gift to us, and they truly "point the way". in reality, i think in the final analysis we all end up learning the hard way--by our mistakes. one guy i knew who was a great professional in his field--learned almost everything the hard way--he was really talented. he slept very little--was always "on", and died at 57--burning the candle at both ends. i heard once that those who do so produce twice the light.

Tatelaw: i think that is the first time i've read that a young person (possibly 16--18 years younger), has directy taught their elder such numerous facets of hunting and shooting. very unique, and you won the lottery!

Pat: was great to visit and get caught up. super pic of the fish--i had not seen that image. a nice pic of the rams too. Bill is a "one in 10 million" when it comes to his extraordinary level of skillsets. hitting fast running predators--as he does--effortlessly--is a rare gift indeed. we are both fortunate to have had his input and friendship...

nick: it sure is great to learn of hunting and shooting from our fathers--humble beginnings--usually in a pasture somewhere, shooting gophers, etc. my dad told me that in the mid 1920's, his dad sent him out with the single shot .22 rifle, and one .22 short cartridge. instructions--come home with a rabbit. he said that he walked a good part of the day, and finally bagged a rabbit. he passed when i was 14, so i felt "short-changed", but it sure made me grow up in a hurry...

thanks for all the great stories. reading about the spark igniting, is some of the best medicine there is...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.