Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking to change up cell service and phone.

Currently an old iphone that as of last night, no longer works. Sprint Unlimited plan that was OK, but pricey. Contract is up.

Anybody use a pre-paid or no contract service? I don't mind paying up front for a new device. I use a good bit of data.

What sayeth the 'Fire?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been with AT&T the last 8 years or so. Can't complain.

Decent price, great coverage where I travel and they've NEVER ever screwed up my bill. Never needed their CS.

I'm happy enough.

Also have their internet in the house - 1/2 the price of cable and no issues there either.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PuretalkUSA here.

Very happy, good coverage and CS.

Paying about 1/2 of what we were paying to Verizon for 4 phones, data, etc.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you don't use a phone much, it's hard to beat Tracfone, especially if you get one with triple minutes. I bought one in March with triple min. My package came with 400 min, 400 texts, and 400 mg of data. Triple each of those. The smart phone plus the time was $130. 5 months later I still have over half of each left. I won't need to buy more time until near Christmas.
I leave the data turned off unless I'm on the road because I get emails, etc. at home. Surfing will eat the data in a hurry.

In this area, at least, Tracfone runs on Verizon's tower network.
If you like your current phone, go to their website and check 'bring your own phone' to find out if it's compatible with their service. You won't get the triple minutes, though. If you don't use data, they have cheaper minutes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would change too. I have Sprint through my job. I think their coverage may be improving but their customer service sucks. I'm not even paying the bill and I hate them. Based on my experience with Sprint, I honestly don't understand how they stay in business.

Sorry, nothing helpful to add to the thread - but I never pass up an opportunity to bash Sprint. Did I mention that SPRINT SUCKS!!?

Last edited by savage24; 08/01/15.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Puretalk looks good except that they have limited data. My phone sees a lot of music streaming and a ton of email and web use.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by teal
I've been with AT&T the last 8 years or so. Can't complain.

Decent price, great coverage where I travel and they've NEVER ever screwed up my bill. Never needed their CS.

I'm happy enough.

Also have their internet in the house - 1/2 the price of cable and no issues there either.
++1 have ATT also..Been great to deal with with good coverage area.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Look at Bolt Mobile.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just sent them an email.

All this phone techy bullchit is a pain in the azz!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Verizon here, coverage is second-to-none in the areas of PA and NY where I travel, ymmv....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In the pnw, verizon seems to have a much better network in rural areas as opposed to ATT Sprint at least IMO

Be tough finding a cheap rate based on your requirements of a lot of streaming, web use

I bought a throw away phone, which was not bad, at Walmart for around $60 and pay $50 a month for a good deal of service. On verizon. no contract. They advertise the $60 a month as unlimited but have no first hand experience if it is truly unlimited

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
With few exceptions, the 'free' phone with a 2 year contract is for suckers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going with Verizon will ensure good service, good coverage, and keep those pension checks rolling in to my bank every month.

Win Win Win!😀

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Everyone up here loves Verizon for sure.

In my ten years here I've used Tmobile, ATT, Net10, and Sprint.

All have been fine. The device I had with Net10 sucked and their customer service was outta some place in India that was a pain to deal with, but coverage was fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had Net10 for a while about 7 years ago. Every time I needed to add minutes it wouldn't work. I always had to call their CS and they'd give a 130 digit (+/-) code to type in to reset the phone. It got pretty old.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you don't use a phone much, it's hard to beat Tracfone, especially if you get one with triple minutes. I bought one in March with triple min. My package came with 400 min, 400 texts, and 400 mg of data. Triple each of those. The smart phone plus the time was $130. 5 months later I still have over half of each left. I won't need to buy more time until near Christmas.
I leave the data turned off unless I'm on the road because I get emails, etc. at home. Surfing will eat the data in a hurry.

In this area, at least, Tracfone runs on Verizon's tower network.
If you like your current phone, go to their website and check 'bring your own phone' to find out if it's compatible with their service. You won't get the triple minutes, though. If you don't use data, they have cheaper minutes.

This is what my wife and I are trying out now since the first week of April. The smart phones we bought were on sale at the time for $69.95 $79.95 and came with 400 minutes talk/text/data X 3 for 1 year, each. Any additional time we might need to buy as long as we keep these phones is triple the face amount, also. So far, no complaints.

Something to be aware of when using prepaid service, though, is any completed incoming/outgoing calls whether answered directly or by voice-mail count against your minutes. Another thing is calling support lines, paying bills by phone, etc., navigating through a maze of electronic prompts and/or being put on hold can use up minutes pretty quick.

Last edited by joken2; 08/01/15. Reason: price correction
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well seeing how you use your phone a lot I would only look to the services that have unlimited use then go from there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by savage24
I would change too. I have Sprint through my job. I think their coverage may be improving but their customer service sucks. I'm not even paying the bill and I hate them. Based on my experience with Sprint, I honestly don't understand how they stay in business.

Sorry, nothing helpful to add to the thread - but I never pass up an opportunity to bash Sprint. Did I mention that SPRINT SUCKS!!?

Couldn't agree more. They're headquartered here, but even their local service is atrocious, can't drive around town without dropping calls. My wife, daughter, and I all have Verizon. Great coverage wherever we go, particularly in the mountain west. Now if we could just dump Time Warner Cable.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Well seeing how you use your phone a lot I would only look to the services that have unlimited use then go from there.
Agreed. Listening to music on the phone can be a killer for prepaid data.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Verizon has about the best coverage available. We haven't shopped for price with anyone else.

Around here Sprint might as well be non-existant. You would do better with 2 tin cans and a string.

Did I mention Sprint SUCKS !

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.