Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can anyone, other than those who raise them, really tell any difference between their meat and the meat of the untermenschen?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marketing ploy. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Can anyone, other than those who raise them, really tell any difference between their meat and the meat of the untermenschen?

I don't know that the 100% Angus marketing ploy is exactly truthful.

What I do know is that when we started getting a few too many calves that weren't predominantly black, the cattle buyer would say something about it. If there were too many the next buying trip, he would cut them, and not buy them.

As long as the calves were mostly "black" they got the seal of approval for "Angus Beef"...

It also is reflected in the cattle markets. Year in a year out, black calves will bring more per pound than non black cattle.

If I were going to eat a calf, I'd choose a black heifer calf and feed her to about 1100 1200 pounds and plan it to go to the packer in the spring, because they gain more weight in cooler weather per pound of feed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What they ate and how they were finished

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
angus cattle are more warm and cuddly than most any other breed. that by definition makes them more sought after, valuable, and solicited.

it really is that simple.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I bet there are very few breeds that have not been influenced by some other breed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Angus cattle have more marbling in the meat than other breeds, as a whole. But, the way the animal was 'fed out', the aging of the carcass, the processing, etc. all contribute to the quality of the meat, more than the breed of the animal.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What they eat, how you feed them out, how they are handled during processing and aging makes more difference than what color they were.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From a producer standpoint they generally have good instincts/dispositions and make good cows(mothers..). Fairly easy to handle and can withstand a wide range of 'weather'.

And that is worth a lot.

(they also make damn good beef steaks....)

We have 3 red cows, 3 char cross cows and the rest are all black/black white face.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont know how well i can tell the difference between angus and another breed besides longhorn(near zero fat) but can tell the difference between one raised on dry prairie versus one raised on richer food stuffs like a feedlot.....having grown up on it i much prefer local beef to what most seem to think is good beef, i'm used to the lower fat content of local beef.....feedlot beef or stuff raised on richer ground than our short grass prairie tastes "greasy" to me, stuff given lots of corn to finish off even more so...

Last edited by rattler; 08/01/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everywhere you look now you see them advertising Angus beef. People think it is better from this, so they will pay a little more, thinking the beef will be better. A few years back the buyers wanted Charolais and their crosses. Before that it was black white face. Buyers and sellers always have a gimmick. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sam, do you recall what the name of that huge Red Angus ranch in Montana was. They where huge back in the 90s

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rattler
dont know how well i can tell the difference between angus and another breed besides longhorn(near zero fat) but can tell the difference between one raised on dry prairie versus one raised on richer food stuffs like a feedlot.....having grown up on it i much prefer local beef to what most seem to think is good beef, i'm used to the lower fat content of local beef.....feedlot beef or stuff raised on richer ground than our short grass prairie tastes "greasy" to me, stuff given lots of corn to finish off even more so...

Yeah, give me grass-fed beef anytime, compared to feed-lot cow meat. I like it better lean. It's got to have SOME fat, but not the way they're finishing them out now.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 08/01/15.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Sam, do you recall what the name of that huge Red Angus ranch in Montana was. They where huge back in the 90s

Viking, I know who you are talking about but can't think of the name.

Some of the bigger ranches merged or are listed under the same sale.

We have a 2.5 year old heifer that might weigh about 900lbs this fall. The -10F calf that lived...

She's been on grass for 2 months and we'll haul that pasture home in a couple more months, so 4-5 months on straight grass.

Thought about butchering her right from the pasture but have heard a few stories that make a guy second guess.

Safe to say she's 100% organic, might have got a little back pour last spring but that's it.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by milespatton
Everywhere you look now you see them advertising Angus beef. People think it is better from this, so they will pay a little more, thinking the beef will be better. A few years back the buyers wanted Charolais and their crosses. Before that it was black white face. Buyers and sellers always have a gimmick. miles

Yup! Hardees......uhhhhhhhhhkay!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Marketing ploy. miles

agreed, use another quality beef ( Hereford comes to mind) fed and raised in a similar fashion

and I'd lay some pretty good odds there's not many (if any) folks that could tell for certain which steak is which

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as far as the best of both worlds those black, bald faced cow Sammo and Miles mentioned were always my faves.

seemed the best of both worlds, calves not too big, but the cows were leggier than pure Angus, good milk producers for their calves and by and large good mothering instincts.

not much prettier than a field full of them cows grazing to my eyes when I fancied myself a "cattleman" (read dirt poor farm boy with delusions of grandeur)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
speaking of which, I've made a far above average living surrounded by good lookin gals in their child bearing years Sammo

and yet there's days I'm jealous as hell of the life you lead.

I know it's got plenty of hard work and worry involved, I haven't completely forgotten how it goes

grass always seems greener on the other side, but I hope in the big pic you're happy with your choice Sammo.

I really wished I'd have stayed on the farm and helped my grandad until he passed. There'd of still been plenty of time for me to live the life I wanted.

Sam can pretty well guarandamntee you, watching you work the ranch probably buys your dad an amount of happiness that's hard to put a price on.

(at least that's how I hope it is)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by viking

Leachman?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by rattler

Yeah, give me grass-fed beef anytime, compared to feed-lot cow meat. I like it better lean. It's got to have SOME fat, but not the way they're finishing them out now.

oh yeah it definitely has fat but not as much....i have a buddy with a few longhorns and for grins one year he did steaks instead of pure burger....yeah that didnt work out so well, way to little fat for a good juicy steak.....

did like having some of the longhorn burger though, was great for things like tacos, meatloaf ect where you didnt want a bunch of grease to pour off, usually bought about 40 pounds of that a year and a full normal beef from someone else on top of what deer and stuff we shot and put in the freezer....to teenage athletes can lay waste to a freezer, youngest used to take a 3 pound package of burger out after practice, thaw it out, make it into three burgers, eat those and then still have supper with the rest of us a few hours later crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (300_savage, 257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.