Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Everywhere you look now you see them advertising Angus beef. People think it is better from this, so they will pay a little more, thinking the beef will be better. A few years back the buyers wanted Charolais and their crosses. Before that it was black white face. Buyers and sellers always have a gimmick. miles

Remember when the buyers wanted a black with a little ear. They do make good mama cows.

Yeah, give me grass-fed beef anytime, compared to feed-lot cow meat. I like it better lean. It's got to have SOME fat, but not the way they're finishing them out now.

When we had cattle and fed out our own, 2 weeks in the lot and then to the processor. Anymore and there was too much fat.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Can anyone, other than those who raise them, really tell any difference between their meat and the meat of the untermenschen?

In general, Angus cattle will tend to have the ability to lay a bit more intramuscular fat than most other common breeds.

The cattle tend to have above average performance so theoretically, they will be ready to harvest at a younger age and have the ability, because of that, to be a bit more tender.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general, Angus cattle will tend to have the ability to lay a bit more intramuscular fat than most other common breeds.

That's what is called 'marbling'. Fat dispersed throughout the muscle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Angus cows might do good in the grassy pastures in much of the country but there are better cows for the scrubby stuff we call open range in most of Arizona. Angus cows do make a good momma I will give them that. Some of my best steaks have come from Herefords and hereford crosses. Hard to fault that breed too.

For a while, the top money was on Brangus calves- at least for a couple of years there. I think many folks raise what they know they can sell, others what they think is best.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be willing to be that the slogan 100% Angus beef is an Angus cross that might only be 50% true Black Angus.

When my grandpa who has been dead close to 40 years started building his cattle herd, buyers wanted registered Herefords. He was selling registered yearling Hereford bulls in the 1940's for $2000 per head.

Now the rage is for Angus beef and the price reflects it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Since about the early 70's, the Angus producers have done a better job of advertising - and also genetic improvement (via Expected Progeny Differences) making it easier to select stock that suits your conditions (theoretically and statistically)
That said, angus are not the same critters I grew up around in the early 60's - DUH! Cows regularly go 1200 instead of 900, don't kick near as much, and don't try to root like a hog under a fence when tightly confined.
The new version is a pleasure t work with. Red Angus seem to have many of the same traits, and bring the same money.
My all-time favorites are black-baldy's.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Things changed forever for the Herefords back in 1889 when they started calling them up at supper time and asking their opinion on politics.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black-baldy's are hard to beat. My favorite was a charlois-angus cross for the mama bred to a brangus. Calves always brought top dollar at the sale barn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great, now I'm gonna have to go to the store and buy some steaks for dinner tomorrow.......

Thanks guys.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, the traffic sucks....

[Linked Image]

And beings I don't have any kids we currently have a labor crunch aka falling behind...

Luckily the market is decent.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Black-baldy's are hard to beat. My favorite was a charlois-angus cross for the mama bred to a brangus. Calves always brought top dollar at the sale barn.

Char crossing the road.......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Randy, the traffic sucks....

[Linked Image]

And beings I don't have any kids we currently have a labor crunch aka falling behind...

Luckily the market is decent.

this post has me grinnin from ear to ear. good on ya Sammo

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I learned a lot on this thread. I always thought Angus beef was meat from a Scottish Highlander.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlois, Black Angus and Simmental. Can you pick out the Simmental?

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of Angus being raised around here; Black and Red, often in the same pasture.

If a Black bull breeds a Red cow, can the offspring come out either way of somewhere in between?

Also, what are those cattle that look like a Charolais that leaned up against a freshly painted black wall?

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/01/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
Charlois, Black Angus and Simmental. Can you pick out the Simmental?

[Linked Image]

I understand the Simmental has done more to improve registered stock of all kinds than anything else in history. wink

Last edited by Scott F; 08/02/15.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My cousin was running a restaurant for a while. He's the kind of guy that knows everything and can't be told anything. We were talking about food costs and I asked if he knew what his ratios were. After I explained ratios he said his were going down because he wasn't going to buy angus beef anymore. He said most people are too stupid to even know what part of the cow the angus is anyways.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/01/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
I learned a lot on this thread. I always thought Angus beef was meat from a Scottish Highlander.

...no, that would be one of these...our stock of choice...15 month heifer pictured.... "Lean" meat is the word with this breed. They are half-goat, eat most anything.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's one black cow that looks like she's got Simmental in her and the char cross cows look like they could have some as well.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My father in law had a registered angus cow herd.
No I can not tell the difference between herford, angus or other breeds after its grilled.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.