Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pahick
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/150802_NT_N8Y/

Tell me any browser, without addons, is going to deal with that with 0 issues.

Not trying to start anything but really just want to know your feelings on this. I have Firefox and I have run Chrome. Both suck almost everywhere I go without any addons. I get popups, ads, and redirects on everything from forums to news. So A went to Firefox's add on page and added Adblocker and Ghoastery. Didn't cost me a penny, took less than five minutes of my time, and works real well.

My question is why would someone be so against using addons for their browser? I really do not understand.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive run this on a half dozen machines with different OS's and browsers and havent had problems either.....course some of us run decent antivirus and antimalware programs on our machines.....only time i ever seem to have issues is when Rick is updating stuff and then everyone is having issues due to the process....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F

My question is why would someone be so against using addons for their browser? I really do not understand.

They want set it and forget it, afraid the addons will hack their system(some FF ext's will, dont ask how I know laugh ), afraid to use another browser than IE...googles watching ya know. Honestly, most are too stupid to install them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IE has been THE WORST browser to use for over 10 years now....anyone using it is going to have problems....its had known problems for over a decade, if you keep using it you will have problems.....if you insist on using it your on your own

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
ive run this on a half dozen machines with different OS's and browsers and havent had problems either.....course some of us run decent antivirus and antimalware programs on our machines.....only time i ever seem to have issues is when Rick is updating stuff and then everyone is having issues due to the process....

antivirus and antimalware wont stop them, theyre not designed to. programs like spywareblaster are, but rarely will folks go to that length.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, now I understand. Thanks.

I am using a dulel boot system with Ubuntu for 99.9% of the time and Windows 7 for one piece of software that will not run in anything but Windows for now. I like the speed and easy of use with Ubuntu and have run it for years with no anti virus or malware without ever a problem. For me even having to open windows for ten minutes will likely sour my day. I do my best to stay off line wien I have to go to Windows and will dump it forever if I can find a way to run Bluebeam Review in Ubuntu. Why anyone would pay money for Windows when there is so much better out there for free is beyond me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pahick

antivirus and antimalware wont stop them, theyre not designed to. programs like spywareblaster are, but rarely will folks go to that length.

so its Ricks fault that criminals are finding ways around and individuals wont go through basic simple steps to protect themselves....got it....

BTW though ScottF aint dumb he definitely isnt a computer wizard and if he can handle making this switch, anyone that actually wants to can......but i have found, my dad being a perfect example, that some people just want to be able to b!tch about something and dont actually want a solution to the problem....cause if its fixed they have to go through the effort of finding something new to b!tch about....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Windows doesnt cost extra if they buy the system. It runs what people need. And if you set it up right youll never have an issue. I build my own, and I cant remember when I bought software. Ubuntu is getting better, but still not easy for those unwilling to learn. Ubuntu can be hacked, theres just not much reason too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

so its Ricks fault that criminals are finding ways around and individuals wont go through basic simple steps to protect themselves....got it....

No, its Ricks fault for making money with schitty ads. Go cheap and thats what you get.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Savage99: I have been frequenting this site for quite a number of years now (going on 13 now) and have NEVER seen/encountered the problem you are referring to!
Do you think I have had something in the programming (paid service of some kind?) of my various computers that prevents me from being "troubled" by what you refer to?
Hope YOU get it solved - hate to lose a campfirer.
Good luck to you's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

BTW though ScottF aint dumb
he definitely isnt a computer wizard and if he can handle making this switch, anyone that actually wants to can......but i have found, my dad being a perfect example, that some people just want to be able to b!tch about something and dont actually want a solution to the problem....cause if its fixed they have to go through the effort of finding something new to b!tch about....

The hell he isn't....

Oh wait a minute, let me think about that. wink

It is a good thing it does not take a computer wizard to use an Linux OS. Install it then if you have a question on how to do something just use your favourite search engine and type in your question. There are step by step guides that will walk you you through it and you can cut and paste the commands without having to type anything. It is so easy even I can do it... Oh wait, let me think about that again. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
FWIW I started with Adblock, then went to Adblock Plus, and am now using Adblock Edge. All found in the Firefox addon page. Edge seems to me to work better for me. Another advantage of any Adblock is the ability to right click on an obnoxious sig line or picture and then hit the Block on the dropdown and poof, it goes away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On Chrome, but should be similar on FF( sick) make sure these are installed..

[Linked Image][/url]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Agree on everything but the FF sick

grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RTSJ
It only happens to me every so often but on my Android smart phone. What can I do to stop it on an android?

Roy
Try running Boat Browser. I've never seen an ad on any of my devices with it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use FF on my androids and you can get Adblock for androids too. I will try Boat, thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was figuring Scott was being a wiseazz...LOL. As often as ad block has been mentioned.by him

fixed it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I was figuring Scott was being a wiseazz...LOL. As often as ad block has been mentioned.by him

fixed it. miles

Guilty as charged.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
I use FF on my androids and you can get Adblock for androids too. I will try Boat, thanks.

Adblock for Android sucks..

"Because Android's support for traffic filtering is limited, Adblock Plus uses several approaches, automatically selecting the best one for the device:

If the device is rooted, Adblock Plus will filter all web traffic out of the box.
On non-rooted devices running Android 4.1.2, 4.2.1 and higher, Adblock Plus will filter all WiFi traffic, but it needs to be configured as a proxy server manually. Detailed instructions are provided by Adblock Plus for not experienced users.
On non-rooted devices running Android 3.1 and higher, Adblock Plus will filter all WiFi traffic out of the box.
On non-rooted devices running Android 3.0 and older, Adblock Plus needs to be configured as a proxy server manually. Some devices do not support proxy configuration, and Adblock Plus does not work on those."

Very limited. Free version of boat browser has ads, premium boat still doesnt block them all. Only way on an android to block them completely is a hosts file, and that needs root. Not all androids have working root. Dolphin has an adblocker, but eh not much better than adblock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
on my phone with a hosts file...

[Linked Image]

on my desktop with ABP....

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.