Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm at 133K on the odo, and after nearly 60K miles free of oil consumption (since GM replaced the pistons & rings), the engine's starting to sip some again. It's only about 1/4 qt. in 2K miles, but I'm wondering if there's any worth in trying the oils that are ostensibly formulated for geriatric motors.

Have any of you run some through your crankcases? Did you notice any difference? If so, was it positive?

Thanks,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used it in my transmission ( the ATF stuff)...

That high mileage stuff works tho...

have a mower with worn rings... 1 tank of gas and it burns up 4 oz of straight 30 wt... ( 20 oz tank capacity in the motor)

I said to heck with this, and drained out the 30 wt, and just decided I'd run used drain oil....which I have several 5 qt jugs of in the garage...

It was Mobil One, but the high mileage stuff, like Max Life is..
and this was 5W20 no less....with 15,000 miles on it..

The same mower engine, but with this "high mileage" additive in the oil ( which I am sure is the same additive package they all use for the 'high mileage' designation)... but it takes 5 tanks of fuel thru the mower engine, before I have to add to it again...

The issue on the Briggs motor is rings, and/or the valves...

but the High Mileage additive package, it only goes thru that 4 ozs before the stick says to add... in those 5 tanks of gas, with 30 wt, that would burn thru the entire 20 oz capacity of the engine...

Makes me wonder, how is your motor needing rings at 60-70 K, and then after replacing them, starts again at another 60 K? light oil and heavy loads, or just an example of GM "Quality" or lack thereof...

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Thanks for sharing 'bout your experience with the mower.

As for this part:

Originally Posted by Seafire
how is your motor needing rings at 60-70 K, and then after replacing them, starts again at another 60 K?

The infamous AFM did it. Too much oil in the wrong places on those deactivated cylinders results in stuck oil control rings. I bought the truck at 40K miles, and it was using about 3/4 qt. in 5K miles. It increased to 1 1/4 qts in 1,900 miles.

The dealership had to go through GM's process. They fixed leaking seals, put a shroud over the oil spout in the pan, and did a "top engine soak", hoping that would break the rings free. When that didn't work, they decided that there was oil sitting on top of the valves, so they replaced the valves, heads, and 1 valve cover ('cause the PCV is built-in to it). And when that didn't work, then they replaced the pistons & rings. 'Twas an enormous pain in the a$$, but GM paid for it all, & gave an additional 30K mile warranty on the work. It barely used oil at all until the last 7-10K or so.

The truck has rarely seen heavy loads while I've had it, & I've used Valvoline 5W-30 All Weather with Valvoline filters. The only exception being when GM was doing the oil changes to document consumption, and after the friggin' rebuilds. They used Dexos, & A/C Filters.

I'm not happy it happened, but the dealer did all they could. Plus, with new valves, heads, pistons, & rings, it was kinda like getting most of a new motor. It hasn't exploded yet, so I feel like it'll probably hang in there for a while.

I'm just curious to see if it's worth it to give the high mileage stuff a whirl.

Thanks,

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 10/16/14.

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have been running the maxlife in 3 vehicles since they reached around 75000 miles . They all ran regular white bottle valvoline until 75000 and then i changed to the red bottle high mileage . My work car is a 2003 malibu with 186000 on it now and on 5000 mile changes still uses no oil , my sons truck is a 95 z71 with 160000 on it and no oil use and my truck is a 2006 gmc with 120000 on it, the 5.3 in it has on rare ocassions showed a little consumption but never enough to add before 5000 mile changes .These were all bought new by me and i couldnt be more pleased with the valvoline .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FC, you may want to try a lighter grade of synthetic, and put some heavy loads on it. Heavy oils and pussyfooting it is likely letting the oil gunk up the rings.

Just my .02

Sean
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Update:

I've been through 2 complete oil change cycles (6,500 miles and 7,300 miles) with MaxLife, and oil consumption has been the same as it was with regular 5w30 Valvoline. It used 5/8 qt. total each time, which I'm fine with for intervals that long.

I did notice, though, that the motor would kick over easier during the subzero weather we had last winter. I suppose that makes sense, since Maxlife is a synthetic blend.

I figure I'll keep using it.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the maxlife in my 6.0 GMC with 140,000 miles on it and it didn't burn oil before and still doesn't so I can't tell if it helps or not. On the other hand, I've been hearing more about oil consumption on the GM engines with active fuel management and with symptoms like you describe in your post, I'm curious if anyone has tried seafoam in either the engines oil or fuel to see if it would help free up the sticky oil control rings. I'm just thinking out loud here.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I'm curious if anyone has tried seafoam in either the engines oil or fuel to see if it would help free up the sticky oil control rings. I'm just thinking out loud here.

The first thing they tried (per GM bulletin 10-06-01-008B) was this stuff:

[Linked Image]

But it didn't make any difference. I guess by the time it drank enough oil to force them to address it, the rings were stuck pretty solidly. New pistons & rings did the trick, but it took them about 12K miles of dicking-around before GM finally OK'd it.

I don't find 5/8 qt. per 7K miles to be bad, at all. I was just curious to see if it would decrease if I used MaxLife. In this particular case, it didn't.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage in all of my vehicles that have over 75,000 miles on the odometers. None of engines show any obvious oil use. My impression has been that the high mileage formula is mostly about swelling old seals.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't say much about Valvoline Max Life from personel experience but my buddy next door runs it in his old nissan hard body and it has 350k showing and the speedo hasn't worked in 2 years. He drives the hell out of it too, so I'd say its pretty good $hit.

I don't know what your wanting to run it in but I'll tell you my experience on my jeep wrangler with 4.0L/242c.i. I6. I was running 5w30 royal purple and adding a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I changed to regular old dino oil and consumption slowed a little. I changed to a heavier oil, 5w 40 rotella T6 synthetic and I went from 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles to a half quart every 5k. It gets good uoa's on bobstheoilguy also.

Win win, cause I run it in my bikes and mowers, and many people run it in 4 stroke outboards. Shell calls it their universal oil. $19.57 a gallon at hogmart. I'll be basting next years thanksgiving turkey with it.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm deducting you are talking about a silverado with active fuel management. Turn it off asap. For 300 bucks you can have it performance tuned and it will get better millage and have more power. With the active fuel managment off the consumpinon with stay where its at now and not get any worse.

My truck has 25k on it and I'm having It tuned soon before it starts using oil.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Another update:

I've got a bit over 1,200 miles on this latest crankcase full o' MaxLife, and it's still honey-colored. On the previous 2 OCI's, it had turned nearly black within the first couple hundred miles.

I wonder if this is a sign that the engine's been getting cleaned-up?

FC

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep it probably is. When I started running rotella it wold turn rather quickly but now it looks good way longer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OH MY GOD 1200 miles its time to change oil and maybe the valve cover gaskets also how could you run such a long way being so complacent??

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I only change oil every 25,000. use only mobil 1 full synthetic, have an oil filter relocation/adapter kit on my truck where I can use filter for a detroit DD16 engine.

Fück Joe byron
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I can't say much about Valvoline Max Life from personel experience but my buddy next door runs it in his old nissan hard body and it has 350k showing and the speedo hasn't worked in 2 years. He drives the hell out of it too, so I'd say its pretty good $hit.

I don't know what your wanting to run it in but I'll tell you my experience on my jeep wrangler with 4.0L/242c.i. I6. I was running 5w30 royal purple and adding a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I changed to regular old dino oil and consumption slowed a little. I changed to a heavier oil, 5w 40 rotella T6 synthetic and I went from 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles to a half quart every 5k. It gets good uoa's on bobstheoilguy also.

Win win, cause I run it in my bikes and mowers, and many people run it in 4 stroke outboards. Shell calls it their universal oil. $19.57 a gallon at hogmart. I'll be basting next years thanksgiving turkey with it.

I use some of the Valvoline oils and dont notice a difference between the Valvoline oils I do notice like SeaBilly that some engines use more of one oil than the other. I use Amsoil Seriers 3000 5w30 in My Diesel truck . It used a qt in 4-6k. Twice is swithced to Shell Retella 10w40 conventional oil and used about half the oil . Dont know why and not enough to care.

Last edited by ihookem; 08/24/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The little lady's van started using oil at a rate of about 1,500 miles per quart, and several attempts to stop the consumption (Seafoam, etc) didn't address it.

Two OCI's with "high mileage oil" (whatever the shop used, IDK), and the consumption is back to a quart per 4-5000.

In my old Tacoma, it stopped oil consumption, as well. I don't know what's in the additive package, but it seems to work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
2004 Yukon; I bought it with 90K miles on it; started using "red jug" Max Life in it once it went over 100K.

Now at 215K miles and running strong. I change every 4K miles; burns about half a quart in that time.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
FC- what year is your GM? Is it the 5.3 motor?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage in all of my vehicles that have over 75,000 miles on the odometers. None of engines show any obvious oil use. My impression has been that the high mileage formula is mostly about swelling old seals.

All of our vehicles are higher mileage and we run Mobil 1. I've seen no difference in oil consumption between the High Mileage and regular formulation. So I typically wait until Costco has a sale and pick up three boxes of the regular formulation for oil changes and consumption. None of the vehicles leak, so if all the high mileage does is swell seals that would explain no improvement in consumption.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.