Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have the backstory on why the VHA phones are disconnected?

I'm beginning to fear that I will actually outlive print media. I'll need a new reason to live!

Last edited by GunReader; 07/31/15.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
VHA ceased to exist a few weeks ago. The news appeared elsewhere on the Campfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really sorry to see it go.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, I've heard from two of the Area Coordinators. Apparently, Jeff Rheborg, the Club President, called the crew into a meeting and told them that the VHA was now closed.

I truly feel for the working staff ... they are good people. The top brass, maybe not so much.

There is also this: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...10014340/all/Varmint_Hunters_Association

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a while there, if you wanted to master your rifle, VHA and VHM were the best source of the black magick. Some real talent, all in one.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey Dave, I still remember the rifle you cobbled together out of stuff that most of us would throw away ... GENIUS, my good friend, total genius.

Karen says "HI" and that she'd doing a tiny bit better every day.

Blessings,

Your pal Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
dz, glad to hear of the improvement, and prayers sent.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That rifle had a hard life, Steve.
The barrel drove me nuts until I got mad at it, ran valve compound on a tight patch, and then put together some Blue Dot loads under 40 VMs. THEN it shot, but only that load.
So THAT barrel is now on a Stevens 200 in 22 Fireball. Shoots great.
The NEW barrel, a secondhand Lilja 3 G 8 twister, got "broken" when I got distracted working up loads -- I was thinking about writing paragraphs in my head.
The action was destroyed. I had to cut it in two to get the barrel off. Thankyoupaulmauser.
The group I'd fired prior to wrecking the gun was a 0.261, and all before that were 4s and under.
Bought another action, a 1942 Steyr, cut off the back end of the barrel, put the stock back together with dowel pins. The only thing left "original" is the bolt handle, safety and the set-trigger bottom metal.
So -- while it's back together, it does not shoot well and I can't quite figure out why. Face is square, lugs 95 percent, pin good, bedding skimmed, crown ok, etc etc.

Thing is, I would have never even TRIED what I did without being a member of VHA. That's what VHM was like -- all those crazy experiments and voodoo juju, most well written but some not, is what I loved and will always treasure. The magazine and its writers, yerself included, opened worlds of possibilities others never will. The fellowship was also, and still is, much appreciated and missed.
Give my best to Karen, and you can rake off some for yourself along the way.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learned of the VHA in the early 90's when the printing company I worked for printed 4 issues of it. I learned a lot about shooting, cartridges and rifles by proof reading those issues, and even though I was never a member and haven't read a copy in years, I'm sad to learn that it's kaput.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I put together my 223 AI in 1996 based upon the writings of Steve in VH and his blue (IIRC) rifle. Still own it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We had a long range match scheduled at their facility in June in Pierre. It had to be moved just a few miles away. Too bad they closed, they had a nice place to shoot and clubhouse.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bobcape
We had a long range match scheduled at their facility in June in Pierre. It had to be moved just a few miles away. Too bad they closed, they had a nice place to shoot and clubhouse.

Bob

I always wanted to see that range. They won't let anybody use it now?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They have a tall locked gate. How good are you at picking locks? My understanding from our moved match is they decided they were done and closed one day. They notified the different match directors after their closing. It's a shame.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm excellent at picking locks.

I think the entire ordeal is BS. They could at least send out some sort of flyer or e-mail or something. To the lifetime membership people at a minimum.

Their web page went down, and then back up. Strange.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I had to make a guess this Jeff guy is a bad manager and bankrupted the place. I have been a member since day one and noticed since Jeff took over the quality of the magazine has suffered greatly and went from a great magazine into nothing but an Advertising Brochure. I just renewed my membership a couple of months back and like a bunch of others lost money. I can't help but believe they took my money knowing they were going to shut down. I hate dishonest people.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Same here. I'm not too concerned about it but if they were taking lifetime memberships within the past 6 months, that's pretty Clairborne of them.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ouch!

A new verb has been introduced into the lexicon.

I like it! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"That dude got Claiborne'd like a mothafugkah."

grin

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been a member for 12 years. Tried to use the range in early June and was surprised to see everything locked up. You would think the basterds could at least send a postcard to their members letting them know that they are out of business.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I have been a member for 12 years. Tried to use the range in early June and was surprised to see everything locked up. You would think the basterds could at least send a postcard to their members letting them know that they are out of business.

Looks like they are too cheap to pay for a stamp. Mass e-mail to all members would have been nice tho

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.