Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Hornady 60 gr SP shoots well in my 1-14 twist push feed M70 w/760 and CCI 250s. FWIW. We can't use 224 here in the NE for deer.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nosler Pro Shop has 55gr BT blems for $16.45/100.
They also have Nosler 55 gr flat base blems for 11.95/100.
They're out of PT's and most others other than varmint bullets.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-blemished-2nds.html?caliber=5&p=1

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nosler Pro Shop has 55gr BT blems for $16.45/100.
They also have Nosler 55 gr flat base blems for 11.95/100.
They're out of PT's and most others other than varmint bullets.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-blemished-2nds.html?caliber=5&p=1

How stout are those 55gr BTs? I've got a bunch of them but I've always heard they were a more explosive 22 bullet, and not as good on medium game as many others.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Midway has some of these Barnes 53gr TSX's, right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...lead-free-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

They work well in my .22-250 #1, which has a 1 in 14" barrel.

If you have a fast twist barrel, they also have 55 and 62 gr TTSX's, at the moment.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TATELAW,

How stout are those 55gr BTs?

I used them in my .223 for squirrels. They would literally blow up clear out to 300 yards. I would not try them on big game.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Midway has some of these Barnes 53gr TSX's, right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...lead-free-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

They work well in my .22-250 #1, which has a 1 in 14" barrel.

If you have a fast twist barrel, they also have 55 and 62 gr TTSX's, at the moment.

I have had excellent luck out of 3 different .22-250s with the 53 gr TSX....all were twisted 1 in 14

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The tsx will work for sure but my favorite for slower twist rates is the old Sierra 63 Smp. They shoot great and flat kill stuff.

Scenarshooter has killed more big game than smallpox with the 55 grain hornady Sp in a Swift and swears by them.

Truth be told, about any bullet works if you shoot deer behind the shoulder, I think the softer bullets kill quicker than most of the premiums with that shot. If you want to bust shoulders, shoot the barnes'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

55gr Hornady Spire Point has worked real well for me in both the 22/250, and .220 swift.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ringman
TATELAW,

I used them in my .223 for squirrels. They would literally blow up clear out to 300 yards. I would not try them on big game.

That's wise to form an opinion and advise others about deer bullets when your only expierence is shooting squirrels with them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How bullets blow up small varmints isn't a measure of how they'll work on big game. Have blown up quite a few prairie dogs with proven big game bullets from .25 to .375 caliber.

Have even killed some pretty big game with so-called varmint bullets. One example is pertinent here, since the cartridge was the .22-250. When on big cull shoot in South Africa my PH wanted me and my hunting partner to go out and make a real difference in the springbok population one day. He loaned us his old Sako .22-250, which was on its 4th barrel and at the time had killed over 12,000 springbok.

His favorite load for this was Winchester's factory ammo with the 55-grain softpoint. We used it to take a number of springbok that day at ranges out to 500 yards, all with body shots, not head shots. It happened to be my partner's turn to shoot when a medium-sized kudu bull also needed culling, and the "varmint" bullet worked fine with a heart shot on the 350-400 pound bull too. We recovered two bullets, one from the kudu, and one from a good-sized male springbok shot at 350 yards, finding both nicely mushroomed.

I would guess the Winchester 55 is a lot like the Hornady 55 that scenarshooter has used so well.

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kaleb,

Originally Posted By Ringman
TATELAW,

Quote:

That's wise to form an opinion and advise others about deer bullets when your only expierence is shooting squirrels with them.

You go ahead and use the Nosler 55 Ballistic Tip for big game is you wish. I gave him my experience. What did you suggest to the 55gr BT poster?

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I didn't mean to start any arguments about the 55 BT. I was just curious because that particular bullet doesn't get mentioned very often as suitable for medium game. I think I've read a few posts over the years from people who have killed deer with them, but not nearly as many as the Hornady SP and the various Barnes bullets.

I just happen to have a bunch of them on hand, and there's not much in the way of varmints around here. No prairie dog towns and such. I have had fantastic results accuracy-wise with other caliber BTs, and I figure it would be the same with these. I was just wondering if they would be a viable deer bullet if I found a good accurate load.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dude270
The tsx will work for sure but my favorite for slower twist rates is the old Sierra 63 Smp. They shoot great and flat kill stuff.

Scenarshooter has killed more big game than smallpox with the 55 grain hornady Sp in a Swift and swears by them.

Truth be told, about any bullet works if you shoot deer behind the shoulder, I think the softer bullets kill quicker than most of the premiums with that shot. If you want to bust shoulders, shoot the barnes'

The 63 Sierra has worked fine for me as well. And the slow 14" twist will do the job, IME. I've also used the WW 64 PP; just keep the velocity on the high end for stability.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I didn't mean to start any arguments about the 55 BT. I was just curious because that particular bullet doesn't get mentioned very often as suitable for medium game. I think I've read a few posts over the years from people who have killed deer with them, but not nearly as many as the Hornady SP and the various Barnes bullets.

I just happen to have a bunch of them on hand, and there's not much in the way of varmints around here. No prairie dog towns and such. I have had fantastic results accuracy-wise with other caliber BTs, and I figure it would be the same with these. I was just wondering if they would be a viable deer bullet if I found a good accurate load.

The rule regarding Ringman is to take whatever he says, do the opposite, and you will likely be right.

Case in point: My uncle has used the 55 grain Ballistic Tip in the 22-250 for years, killing plenty of deer and antelope. The bullet worked fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Kaleb,

Originally Posted By Ringman
TATELAW,

Quote:

You go ahead and use the Nosler 55 Ballistic Tip for big game is you wish. I gave him my experience. What did you suggest to the 55gr BT poster?

I have, numerous times......They kill about as well as anything when taking behind the shoulder shots.....

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by TATELAW

The rule regarding Ringman is to take whatever he says, do the opposite, and you will likely be right.

Case in point: My uncle has used the 55 grain Ballistic Tip in the 22-250 for years, killing plenty of deer and antelope. The bullet worked fine.

Agreed....it works fine. I've even killed a few bull elk with it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

55gr Hornady Spire Point has worked real well for me in both the 22/250, and .220 swift.

Your list of kills prompted me to get away from super premium bullets for once and shoot a deer with a 55 gr. Horn.
.223AI 100 yds. Performance was flawless...little hole going in, nickel hole coming out, deer was DRT.

Oh...and I watched my pard kill a bull elk with that bullet out of a 223....placement under the chin, in the throat didn't hurt.... wink Another DRT

Last edited by ingwe; 08/02/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I sure hope you guys aren't shootin squirrels out to 300 with those things.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get back to basics.
Rule #1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
65BR,

Get back to basics.
Rule #1

For you, what are basis and "Rule #1"?

Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.