Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, round baling hay barley this morning as soon as the dew blows off, get down here and help!

RO, if they aren't all a 3 way cross I would guess the brockle face hiding in the back would have to be the Simmental.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

If a Black bull breeds a Red cow, can the offspring come out either way of somewhere in between?

Yes, it could be black(most likely), red or reddish brown.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson

RO, if they aren't all a 3 way cross I would guess the brockle face hiding in the back would have to be the Simmental.

Good eye, Sam. Plus the three that are with her. They came into the herd together and they stick together.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
20-25 years ago semmi's had to be the dumbest, highest maintance critter around.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If a Black bull breeds a Red cow, can the offspring come out either way of somewhere in between?
It's like breeding labs. You have dominant black and recessive yellow. If both parents carry the recessive yellow, you can have both black and yellow pups in the same litter. Other genes control the shading of black or yellow to give chocolate, red, white, etc.
With Angus, you have dominant black and recessive red with other genes giving shading variations within those 2 colors. If both parents carry the recessive red gene, if the cow should twin it's possible to have both black and red calves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thank God you're round baling Sam

they were just coming into vogue when I left the farm.

when we got our own hay put up, I hired out to a crew to haul hay (mostly for large dairy operations)

.02.5 cents a bale,, yessir 2.5 cents a bale, if we hauled a 1000 bales in I made $25 dollars!

my the things you can talk an ignorant youth into doing!

it got a tad warm in the top of those metal hay barns in the summer when we were stacking it up high

and we hated the farmers that bailed so tight that the bales were closer to 80 lbs. than 60, but we hauled their stuff just the same

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I hated, hated, hated, baling hay (and assorted weeds, all with considerable water content/weight) - nostrils filled with dust and chaff, wrists raw from stems poking them, pissed-off bumble bees in the bales looking for revenge (and finding it), mows that were in fact an Easy-Bake oven in some young giantess's play-room. Just the smell when driving by a field of fresh-cut hay is enough to ruin my mood.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had a simmental bull when I was younger and he liked to roam. He would push through the fence and look for more cows. I had to ride the river and chase him back a dozen times. We finally sold him and bought a bull that was more of a home-body. I can't even remember what the new bull was. Never had to go find him though!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
we hated the farmers that bailed so tight that the bales were closer to 80 lbs. than 60, but we hauled their stuff just the same
I bucked hundreds of tons of hay when I was a kid. We also hated the 80lb bales. But then they invented the bale wagon and bale weight jumped to as heavy as 120 sometimes. They were made to be stacked by machine but they sure weren't fed by machine. Those things were responsible for lots of back injuries. Now they have the ton bales which save the backs. They're so big that they can only be handled by machine so nobody has to wrestle them.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Scott F
I learned a lot on this thread. I always thought Angus beef was meat from a Scottish Highlander.

...no, that would be one of these...our stock of choice...15 month heifer pictured.... "Lean" meat is the word with this breed. They are half-goat, eat most anything.

[Linked Image]

broomd;
With apologies to the OP and all who've been earnestly pursuing the question at hand....

Here's southern Alberta's finest cowboy music singer with a song about your heifer's brother - among other things.

It used to be that beef with mostly red hides went for more than Hereford or black cows at the auction yard here in town.

The rancher who's branding crew I've helped on for more than two decades now has always used an Angus bull for the heifers as they've got a smaller head and sloping shoulder which results in easier calving on average.

All the best to you and all the cattle raisers here.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image] Couple out behind the barn.

Our herd is predominantly Angus, with a few crosses mixed in. Also we usually buy Angus and Angus crosses, for the feedlot. They finish out nice for us, grade well and can bring a little premium (certified Angus beef) when we send them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I remember working for a Canadian farmer loading bales when I was a kid. His daughter Pauline drove the tractor in a red blouse, and when she turned around to see where to stop, it looked like that damned blouse was going to explode. Can't remember the size of the bales, or how much we got paid, or if the barn was hot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Neat pic Ben, beautiful country for angus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
we hated the farmers that bailed so tight that the bales were closer to 80 lbs. than 60, but we hauled their stuff just the same
I bucked hundreds of tons of hay when I was a kid. We also hated the 80lb bales. But then they invented the bale wagon and bale weight jumped to as heavy as 120 sometimes. They were made to be stacked by machine but they sure weren't fed by machine. Those things were responsible for lots of back injuries. Now they have the ton bales which save the backs. They're so big that they can only be handled by machine so nobody has to wrestle them.

I had a great Uncle that wanted to save twine so he set the baler up to 75# and expected us kids to wrestle them around. Dad found out about it and told him if he didn't lighten the bales he would not send his kids over to help.

My kids were fortunate, for several years I baled everything with a kicker baler. Later I bought a round baler but still use a kicker baler for a supply of small bales to feed out flakes to horses and to take with us on overnight camping and rides with the horses.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Neat pic Ben, beautiful country for angus.

Likewise, I always enjoy checking out everyone's pics.

Last edited by keystoneben; 08/02/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pic, Ben. Looks alot like the country around here.

Black Angus is the predominate breed here on the farm for some of the reasons you stated, however I am a sucker for a good deal at the sale barn and will purchase other breeds. A recent example was 12 bred Red Angus mama cows owned by an elderly gentlemen farmer came through the sale barn last fall. They did not bid out very high. When they calved, two cows had twins. I made out like a bandit. grin

Any Red Angus in your area?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Nice pic, Ben. Looks alot like the country around here.

Black Angus is the predominate breed here on the farm for some of the reasons you stated, however I am a sucker for a good deal at the sale barn and will purchase other breeds. A recent example was 12 bred Red Angus mama cows owned by an elderly gentlemen farmer came through the sale barn last fall. They did not bid out very high. When they calved, two cows had twins. I made out like a bandit. grin

Any Red Angus in your area?

I can't think of anyone that has quite a few red Angus off the top of my head. I know one guy who has a whole herd of red limousine, which he says is pretty rare.

We usually buy our animals for the feedlot straight from the farm. We like to buy black, but if they're selling a few random breeds we'll take them if the price is fair. A quality animal that grows well is a the end goal.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There are several red herds here that I know of.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
speaking of which, I've made a far above average living surrounded by good lookin gals in their child bearing years Sammo

and yet there's days I'm jealous as hell of the life you lead.

I know it's got plenty of hard work and worry involved, I haven't completely forgotten how it goes

grass always seems greener on the other side, but I hope in the big pic you're happy with your choice Sammo.

I really wished I'd have stayed on the farm and helped my grandad until he passed. There'd of still been plenty of time for me to live the life I wanted.

Sam can pretty well guarandamntee you, watching you work the ranch probably buys your dad an amount of happiness that's hard to put a price on.

(at least that's how I hope it is)

I left the farm in 1973. Dad had some angus and white faced Herefords. He was pretty happy with them and they were good back to him. Unfortunately he passed in 1978 and the cattle were sold. There have been none on the place since then. I envy you guys who are still producing beef. It's a good life even if there are some worries and issues.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.