Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Prairie dogs are where you find them, when you find them. We left Friday to go to the killing fields and shoot them. We got there and even though the temperature was in the low 90's, we found plenty and shot them until dark.

Instead of going somewhere else to camp, we camped right in the town. We were awakened at 6:00 with the chirping of prairie dogs and got up and started shooting.

I had talked a friend into buying a Coltsman 223, made by Sako and we shot it with great success. We shot 2 fields until after noon and the temperature didn't quite make 100, but 99 was close enough. There was still enough time to get back to town in time for the Bozeman Stampede PRCA Rodeo...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
That sounds like a ton of fun. I've always wanted to go on a dedicated prairie dog shoot. I got to do it one time after a mule deer hunt was successful early. The only rifle I had was my 270. Does a number on em.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow, Shrapnel, your fuel economy has sure gone downhill since the last time we saw your odometer.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barrels don't cool off much in 100 degree heat! I had to bring mine in off the porch and set them on top of the air conditioning vent between groups.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

100 degrees in Montana is like being in Texas without the Texans!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
amen to that.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Six or eight years ago, I was trying to completely eradicate a small town that cropped up a couple miles from the big town I've shot for years. The same friend owned 'em both and wiping out the small town was a small price for access to the big town plus real good dove hunting.

I made a camp with my jeep trailer and a large tarp for a shade.

I estimated there were 30 - 40 dogs, all adults, when I started. I stayed there from noon on the start day, thru all the second day, until mid morning on the third day. They were pretty wild to start with, and got a whole lot wilder.

I figured I had them whittled down pretty good by the end of the second day. I was keeping count with a golf counter, but don't recall what it was.

I kept a very low profile for over an hour after sunup on the third day. Three dogs had shown themselves early, and no more ever came up.

I killed one and the other two went down, not to be seen for over an hour.

Next Spring, there were eighteen dogs up according to Ed Bunchalettersand numbers and his nephew who went to shoot at it while a couple other 'fire members and I stayed at the large town.

They didn't wipe 'em out, either. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You guys are blessed with a target rich environment!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somehow I have lived a sheltered life, and never done that. Need to one of these days...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Be careful what you start. It is much easier to start that habit than to stop cold turkey or suffer withdrawal pains. But a finer shooting sport would be hard to find. As for hunting it is at or near the top also. You don`t need to drag them out, you can shoot them on your shirt sleeves and you are doing a public service.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Awesome.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Somehow I have lived a sheltered life, and never done that. Need to one of these days...

I'll take you.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Get some messkins and your all set.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I have never done it either but have killed more sage rats than I could ever count. Same thing but PDs and about ten times the size of SR.

You get a chance you should try either. It is great fun and will improve your shooting, not that you need it as I remember.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You guys that have been there know what I am talking about. The pasture we camped in has more dogs than the one with the painted rocks. I was surprised at how many were out in 90 degree weather.

The rodeo to end a 90+ degree day was a nice finish...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like fun Shrap!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I'll take you.

Dave

Thanks - one of these years I need to take a couple weeks and wander up that way.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meet me at Donnie's place opening day of dove season. We'll shoot doves AND P D's.

Bring your own shotgun and shells. I'll furnish rifles and ammo for the p'dogs.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ipopum
Be careful what you start. It is much easier to start that habit than to stop cold turkey or suffer withdrawal pains. But a finer shooting sport would be hard to find. As for hunting it is at or near the top also. You don`t need to drag them out, you can shoot them on your shirt sleeves and you are doing a public service.

This is gospel truth. Hence my handle.......

It's addictive. Be careful.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scott F,

Prairie dogs are indeed quite a bit bigger than ground squirrels, exactly how much bigger depending on the species of ground squirrel. But PD's are also a lot spookier, and the shooting ranges increase quickly after they've been shot at some. Wind is often harder in PD country as well, which increases the difficulty with range.

Have shot considerable numbers of both over the decades, in several states, and PD shooting is normally tougher, especially after they've been shot at for a day or two.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The main place I hunt them, a 200 yard shot is a gimme. If you don't want to shoot at 300 yards, you will haul a lot of your ammo back home with you.

There is a FM road adjacent to the town and all the locals keep 'em stirred up.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Top shot yesterday was 471 yards with a 243 and 75 grain hollow point bullet...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need a little bad luck on the part of the dog to hit one at that range.

For those long shots I switch to my 244AI w/ 70 gr. b t.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Scott F,

Prairie dogs are indeed quite a bit bigger than ground squirrels, exactly how much bigger depending on the species of ground squirrel. But PD's are also a lot spookier, and the shooting ranges increase quickly after they've been shot at some. Wind is often harder in PD country as well, which increases the difficulty with range.

Have shot considerable numbers of both over the decades, in several states, and PD shooting is normally tougher, especially after they've been shot at for a day or two.

Having never shot them I would not know which is harder so I will take your word for it. The Belding,s Ground Squirrel is what I have shot the most and I have taken several past 400 yards but there was not a lot of wind. Since my long range squirrel rifle, a Number 1 V in 22 BR, is long gone and my current sage rat rifle is a K hornet I probably will never know. Still a lot of fun to see what others are doing and thinks for the opinion.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have a carload of varmint rifles in all calibers, but it seems like this 22-250 is the closest thing I have to a lazer...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to tell which one is the fencepost.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There are 2 rifles there and no fence post. Yours is the one in the back. Don't you recognize it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

352 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.