Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd love to get a nice airgun for plinking, rats, and maybe short range coons. <$400

Most of what I see at the box stores look absolutely retarded. Are there any decent air rifles that actually look like a rifle and not a tactical pretzel?

Thinking I'm not wanting a pcp gun. Probably a spring or pump.

.22 or .25 cal?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The old Olympic air rifles look like real rifles and are ACCURATE. I love my Walther LGR and they can occasionally be found for $400. But, they're 177s, if thats a dealbreaker.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess it isn't a deal breaker, but I'd think the 22's and 25's would be much better killers? Especially with coons.

I'll google them up. Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
slm9s- Those look nice, but very much a target gun. Looking for more of a sporter/carry gun.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In a pump, look for a nice Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak. No longer made so used is the only source. For a springer, don't fall for the high velocity Chinese junk. I would highly recommend the Weihrauch HW50S or HW95 in your price range.

These guys have a good price right now on the HW95
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Weihrauch.htm

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.25's kill way better.

Mine replaces my .22lr around the place homestead now.

Countless animals taken with it.

[Linked Image]

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/marauder-rifle-synthetic-stock

Incorporated barrel sleeve silencer makes it REALLY quiet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tmitch
In a pump, look for a nice Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak. No longer made so used is the only source.

If you don't mind pumping, the modern versions (Benjamin 392 and 397) are still made and are good affordable rifle.

In your price range a German spring gun like the Beman R7 and R9 would be good choices and much better quality than the Chinese and Spanish stuff. Although I admit to having a Chinese Nitro gun and it's really a decent plinker, just not the quality of my German guns.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with you rockinbbar, I have one just like yours. Super accurate and a killer for sure. However, with an air supply (tank or pump) it's beyond what the OP is looking for.
"<$400. Thinking I'm not wanting a pcp gun. Probably a spring or pump."

But if ya want an airgun to kill critters, it's in a class by itself.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My advice,from learning the hard(and expensive)way,is to go ahead and buy a .25 marauder.With an Air Force pump and 1400 premier pellets you are looking at slightly under 800$ from
Pyramid air.A lot of $$$,but I have way more than that in the several Beeman and RWS springers that I will never shoot again.Sell some other gun that you never use to raise the $$$-the Marauder is the most fun gun I have ever owned,and I have dozens!There is absolutely NO comparison to a springer!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The extra $ puts the Marauder so much in the lead for what a lesser airgun will do, that I am totally convinced it's more than worth it.

I wouldn't trade my Marauder for 3 $400 lesser air rifles. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The extra $ puts the Marauder so much in the lead for what a lesser airgun will do, that I am totally convinced it's more than worth it.

I wouldn't trade my Marauder for 3 $400 lesser air rifles. wink
I totally agree.I was consistantly shooting .380 brass off the top of the 50 yard frames the other day,plus killed a crow at 85 lasered yards.I have a pile of .22 rimfires and shot rimfire competition in several states for several years-The .25 marauder is as accurate as any sporter I own out to 50 yards.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch
In a pump, look for a nice Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak...

This.

Mine.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Per OP, used springers could be your ticket to grins....

HW95

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Montivigant
Per OP, used springers could be your ticket to grins....

HW95
Asking Price: $330

Yeah, grins for the seller. smirk Airguns of Arizona sells them new for $300. Very nice rifle if you're going for a springer. I would say the best available in that price range.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Anyone have one the Benjamin "Nitro Piston" rifles? My coworker bought one this week and really likes it.

http://www.crosman.com/benjamin-trail-np2-hardwood-22

"Benjamin Trail break barrel air rifles are the first to feature the all new Nitro Piston™ 2 system featuring an upgraded powerplant and all-new, enhanced Clean Break Trigger (CBT™).

The new Trail guns shoot 15% faster and deliver more energy with double the effective shooting range of the original Trail series. All in a smoother-shooting gun with less vibration, less recoil, and up to a 10-pound reduction in cocking force."

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a nitro trail. Put an aftermarket trigger and have shot a bunch of different .22 pellets through it trying to get real consistent accuracy. My brother has the nitro trail in .25 that seems to hold a better group.

Bought a .25 marauder and pump. The benjamin trail sits in the corner and gathers dust.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Marauder looks pretty bad azz. Pricey though!

How many shots on a full tank? Can you adjust discharge pressure?

Is there a good airgun Web site with active classifieds?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I get 16 with mine. (.25) Then next 8 start to drop off a bit.

Don't let us talk you out of getting an air gun because you dont want to spend the $800 or so the first pcp setup will cost.

A nitro trail is way better than no air gun. They are fun to just send pellets down range with and are reasonably accurate.

good luck in your search

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option that's closer to your budget is the Benjamin Discovery. You can get the rifle and pump combo under $400 if you shop around. While it's not a repeater and doesn't have a shrouded barrel like the Marauder, it is an easy to shoot PCP capable of good velocity in .22.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534

Charter Member

szihn

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The Marauder looks pretty bad azz. Pricey though!

How many shots on a full tank? Can you adjust discharge pressure?

Is there a good airgun Web site with active classifieds?
My Maurader is pretty slow-820 fps with 25.39 gr.JSB pellets,and I get at least 30 good shots before I pump it up.I may get more but I don't want to pump any more than I have to-kind of like knives-the best way to keep them sharp is to not let them get dull.I could crank it up to 920 easily but would only get 12-18 good shots,and 1/2" less drop at 50 yards.Probably the best website is Network54.com.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.